Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
That statement was a bunch of fluff. They are no closer to resolving this issue than they were when I woke up this morning. That statement gives me no hope. Steve will not come down, Bus has made that clear... they will not pay, and it's only a matter of time before we draft a highly rated qb and sign some long in the tooth cheap vet that might have a snowballs chance in hell at guiding us to a stellar 8-8 season... (oh yeah, and 2 more losses to the Colts!)

Drink the stinkin' kool-aide!

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
That statement was a bunch of fluff. They are no closer to resolving this issue than they were when I woke up this morning. That statement gives me no hope. Steve will not come down, Bus has made that clear... they will not pay, and it's only a matter of time before we draft a highly rated qb and sign some long in the tooth cheap vet that might have a snowballs chance in hell at guiding us to a stellar 8-8 season... (oh yeah, and 2 more losses to the Colts!)
:whoop:

I wonder if they are trying to get all this (Steves contract problems) resolved prior to the draft. Getting Steve with a new contract, or not, would have a bearing on whom they pick at #3.

I suspect they won't until after the draft. They know who they want it is just a matter of getting him with the 3rd pick

the following was posted by Mindslit at Coltsfreaks.com
This is the ugly underbelly of the game. It's sad to see a loyal veteran treated this way, but that's what happens when lots of money is involved.

However...

After reading the articles, it looks to me like McNair's agent is creating a lot of this drama. He's taking the Rosenhaus tactic of going to the press with the sob story about how his veteran is being mistreated by the team he's been loyal to so that the organization looks bad and reacts quickly to solve the issue. I'm sure his thought is that this pressure will force the Titans to solve the contract issues more quickly than the Titans want resulting in a more desirable deal for his player (and bigger cut for him).

It sucks that this is the only kind of NFL news (aside from draft stuff) we get right now. We need some games so there's something good to talk about.
Thanks

Titans Make Statement on McNair

SUMMARY: In light of a story which broke late yesterday concerning the Titans asking QB Steve McNair to leave Baptist Sports Park and not participate in offseason workouts until his contract is settled, the team released a statement today. "We have communicated with Steve (McNair) and Bus (Cook) since the fall that we could handle Steve's salary cap figure into the new league year (2006), but we are not willing to carry that number into the season. We have spent time working in good faith to renegotiate Steve's contract, but have not yet arrived at a mutually satisfactory resolution. With the offseason conditioning program underway, we have no choice but to protect the club and its future from the possibility of having a significant amount of our salary cap at risk in a single player should he sustain a major injury. This is entirely a risk management problem and not a reflection of the enormous respect we have for Steve, for what he means to our franchise, and the huge contributions he has made as a player and as a person. It was unfortunate the way this played out yesterday, but we think both Steve and Bus understand the team's position. Other clubs facing the same dilemma have arrived at the same conclusion we did. We will continue our efforts to resolve the contract difficulties and look forward to Steve returning when this is completed."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

If the answer is simple, why wouldn't is cap number shift to the team he is traded to? I thought he only counted if released.

June 1 cuts only are different because they prevent future guaranteed money from accelerating to the current year. But players who are in the last year of their contract (like McNair) have no such money to accelerate. So it's going to be the same cap hit no matter when we cut/trade him.

GOFIGURETITANS said:
If the answer is simple, why wouldn't is cap number shift to the team he is traded to? I thought he only counted if released.
That's just this year's salary, not the whole cap cost.

The Titans have paid him money in the past (with signing bonuses) but it hasn't all counted against the cap before because the cap hit for signing bonuses are spread out for years into the future. The portion that has not yet been accounted for must eventually be accounted for, whether the player is still here or not. Think of it this way: eventually you have to pay the piper.

The $13M that McNair will count this year under the cap after he is cut or traded is that money. It already counts now. The only thing that will actually change is that we won't also have to account for his $9M base salary or $1M option bonus if they cut or trade him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back