Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QjA5faZF1A8"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QjA5faZF1A8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

triplet arpeggios are still sweet in my book

that had to be either a Malmsteen / Vai / Satriani instruction video he learned that from..... I'm gonna guess Satch

I stopped playing like that LOOONG ago, it's a shame noone really appreciates talented guitarists anymore, hell most bands don't even include solos in their songs anymore
I miss Rhandy Rhoads

He's good, but can he write a good song? The 80's had some awesome solos, but also lots of fairly weak rythyms. I guess I just go tried of flashy long ago, many can practice and do it. Writing a good song, that takes more talent....or something lol.

It's amazing how quickly shred turns people off nowadays.
I like it if it's textural and melodic, and fits the song. But here I'm just impressed that such a young dude could do it.

don't get all upset, he's probably 17 or so
I was shredding Malmsteen and Rhoads at 17

but,.... as Bobo was quick to point out, it's just as important to play a solid rythm and to learn to write

I used to be able to play anybody's crap by listening and playing along - it wasn't until I started to play my own stuff that I realized what kind of guitarist I really was

My style ended up being a mix of Rhoads / Malmsteen / Dimebag with a quirky kind of Dio-esque melodic overtone
I eventually decided that I would rather be a SOLID rhythm guy who could throw in some nifty little licks instead of a guy that could only play shredding solos

but what this kid is doing sure does get the oohs and ahhs (and chicks) at parties .... but noone really wants to go see it live anymore

example ..... I saw Dream Theater a couple of times live and it was one of the more boring shows I've seen

Bobo said:
I love the solos I'm hearing from the new Avenged 7fold stuff.

my drummer likes them
I think the lead guy can burn, but I hate there rhythms
most of them sound to cheesy to me

I'll stick with Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin
I'm also latching onto Funeral for a Friend now - great band

I've been a musician for many years and I've just never been able to get into shredding. I was even somewhat of a metal head back in the early 80s, but the shredders couldn't hold my attention. I always preferred stuff like Thin Lizzy. More soul and style imho.

You've got to respect the dexterity, the speed, the amount of practice it takes to be able to do that, but for me, it loses its musicality (is that a word?). It's kind of like some bluegrass flatpicking. Phenomenal speed, but it gets old really quick.

avvie said:
Ooooh, that's good!
Oh, and are you going to send that CD before I move out of the Big Country?

I was actually trolling through my guest bedroom/junk room/former recording studio a few minutes ago and came across a whole box of them which reminded me... "I need to send one of these to Avvie"... I'll put one in the trusty backpack tonight and send it out this week.

Sorry it has taken me so long to get it out. Hope you don't think that makes me think I'm "Mr. Big"... ok... that one was bad. Do bands that named themselves after someone else's song even count?

Do they have, like a myspace page or something where I can, like email them or something cause that would be like, ya know... really sweet.

Puck said:
don't get all upset, he's probably 17 or so
I was shredding Malmsteen and Rhoads at 17

but,.... as Bobo was quick to point out, it's just as important to play a solid rythm and to learn to write

I used to be able to play anybody's crap by listening and playing along - it wasn't until I started to play my own stuff that I realized what kind of guitarist I really was

My style ended up being a mix of Rhoads / Malmsteen / Dimebag with a quirky kind of Dio-esque melodic overtone
I eventually decided that I would rather be a SOLID rhythm guy who could throw in some nifty little licks instead of a guy that could only play shredding solos

but what this kid is doing sure does get the oohs and ahhs (and chicks) at parties .... but noone really wants to go see it live anymore

example ..... I saw Dream Theater a couple of times live and it was one of the more boring shows I've seen

ditto

well execpt I don't know what my style is like :lol:

I can't play lead for chit....I've pulled it off a couple of times, but that's it.
However, I'm a pretty good rhytm guitarist when I want to be, and I can write songs.

I started shredding when I was around 10. I couldn't pull off everything by Malmstein, Vai, or whoever, But I tried. It just kinda got old. It's something that's fun to hear every so often for me, but a well put together song is the real deal.

I had to learn that a well written song had to have all phases working together, not just the guitar parts :bonk2: Some of my favorite songs have guitar parts I could play when I was a wee tot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back