Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Ugh....I guess it gives me yet one more reason to step away from being a fan of this game.

Here's what Alex has gone through, so far, as told by his wife.

Warning, graphic content

Alex Smith's comeback: Inside the fight to save the QB's leg and life

Now it's Friday, and they are going back in to cut out more tissue. Then, the cultures came back and, sure enough, it's necrotizing fasciitis. There is one really rare bacteria in his bloodstream, aeromonas hydrophila, a bacteria typically found in freshwater or brackish water.

So Alex has a flesh-eating bacteria that's eating away his at his leg. He's septic and, essentially, dying...

She said: "Elizabeth, we're doing the best we can. And right now, our first priority is we're going to save his life. And then we're going to do our best to save his leg. And anything beyond that is a miracle."

I made my son watch this last night.

Its important to know what youre signing up for.

If you dont love the game walk away while you can.

Man, didn’t know how much he had to go through. But I admire his will to keep pushing through it all. Glad he was able to keep his leg, it looked pretty looked nasty.

But I can’t imagine him playing NFL football ever again.

When I had my rare ischemic brain stem stroke I was told I would never have the stamina to work FT again. It’s one of the deadliest of stroke types. I couldn’t stand, my balance was really screwed up, I had severe double vision, couldn’t swallow, I experienced muscle atrophy for being in a wheel chair for a few months. Currently only one of my vocal chords works, and I have no feeling on the whole left side of my body, and my right eye socket. Drs claim I’ll never get feeling back but I have already felt some slight changes in my fingers, hand and arm. I look fine, I am able to walk normally and people are shocked when I tell them I had a major stroke.

In rehab I pushed as hard as I could as I watched others slack on their rehab routine whenever the therapist stepped away. I did the opposite, they told me to do 10 reps, I did 30. Several therapists told me in their years there, they never witnessed anyone make as fast a recovery as I did from where I started. I kept thinking about my wife and 3yr old daughter home alone for those 3 months.

I made major lifestyle changes, lost 65lbs and have kept it off for 3 years, I’m at my college weight at 6’2” and 200lbs. I work 10-12 hours a day and am in the best shape since my early 30s, not bad for a 52yr old.

So this is why I can be a stickler and a pain in the ass about pushing a low, carb/sugar diet, and eliminating any inflammation by using all natural products no matter what it is, soap, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. I feel it has all helped me recover as much as I did and I’m confident it will be the best preventative to avoiding another stroke.

After a health scare or injury your perspective on things changes, there can be a positive that comes out of it once you get through it all.

Until you have a major health scare you’ll be hesitant to make lifestyle changes because you’ll think this can’t happen to me. Well I have news for you all, I thought the same thing once too. I was lucky, many people don’t get a second chance.

Sorry for the long post but couldn’t recall or wasn’t sure if anyone knew my story, I felt compelled to share.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright, not trying to give parental advice just curious. Would say that in the range I would tell them as well. To young or to late could be pointless.

Edit:i worded that terrible. Was saying that was a good choice for the age.
I give my son every chunk of info about football I can. Its a violent game that robs most out of something if they play long enough.

I just dont want him putting lingering injuries on me God forbid something happens.

Every member of our family wants him to play anything but football so its a constant battle of if this is the right sport for him...

But he loves the game

It sucks what happened to him but you can't live your life in fear of something horrible happening to you, regardless of playing sports etc. Look at Bridgewater he literally just did a drop back in practice and his knee exploded on him, that could of been some joe blow somewhere stepping backwards playing with his kid.

It sucks what happened to him but you can't live your life in fear of something horrible happening to you, regardless of playing sports etc. Look at Bridgewater he literally just did a drop back in practice and his knee exploded on him, that could of been some joe blow somewhere stepping backwards playing with his kid.
Agreed

You can die just driving to the store

Do what you love, if you do die, at least you died having fun.

I watched this tonight. I have a new found respect for Alex Smith. Damn, he leg looked so F-ed up! I'm rooting for him and it would be cool to see him play again and retire at his own terms.

I watched this tonight. I have a new found respect for Alex Smith. Damn, he leg looked so F-ed up! I'm rooting for him and it would be cool to see him play again and retire at his own terms.
It would be really cool if he made it back, but much like Ryan Shazier hes very likely done for good in pro football due to his injury

Man, didn’t know how much he had to go through. But I admire his will to keep pushing through it all. Glad he was able to keep his leg, it looked pretty looked nasty.

When I had my rare ischemic brain stem stroke I was told I would never have the stamina to work FT again. It’s one of the deadliest of stroke types. I couldn’t stand, my balance was really screwed up, I had severe double vision, couldn’t swallow, I experienced muscle atrophy for being in a wheel chair for a few months. Currently only one of my vocal chords works, and I have no feeling on the whole left side of my body, and my right eye socket. Drs claim I’ll never get feeling back but I have already felt some slight changes in my fingers, hand and arm. I look fine, I am able to walk normally and people are shocked when I tell them I had a major stroke.

In rehab I pushed as hard as I could as I watched others slack on their rehab routine whenever the therapist stepped away. I did the opposite, they told me to do 10 reps, I did 30. Several therapists told me in their years there, they never witnessed anyone make as fast a recovery as I did from where I started. I kept thinking about my wife and 3yr old daughter home alone for those 3 months.

I made major lifestyle changes, lost 65lbs and have kept it off for 3 years, I’m at my college weight at 6’2” and 200lbs. I work 10-12 hours a day and am in the best shape since my early 30s, not bad for a 52yr old.

So this is why I can be a sticker and a pain in the ass about pushing a low, carb/sugar diet, and eliminating any inflammation by using all natural products no matter what it is, soap, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. I feel it has all helped me recover as much as I did and I’m confident it will be the best preventative to avoiding another stroke.

After a health scare or injury your perspective on things changes, there can be a positive that comes out of it once you get through it all.

Until you have a major health scare you’ll be hesitant to make lifestyle changes because you’ll think this can’t happen to me. Well I have news for you all, I thought the same thing once too. I was lucky, many people don’t get a second chance.

Sorry for the long post but couldn’t recall or wasn’t sure if anyone knew my story, I felt compelled to share.

So this is why I can be a sticker and a pain in the ass about pushing a low, carb/sugar diet, and eliminating any inflammation by using all natural products no matter what it is, soap, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. I feel it has all helped me recover as much as I did and I’m confident it will be the best preventative to avoiding another stroke.

I messed up my last reply, sorry.
Just wanted to say, I don't know you but I commend you on your fortitude and hard work to get better. It looks like it played off. Congrats and well done.

I messed up my last reply, sorry.
Just wanted to say, I don't know you but I commend you on your fortitude and hard work to get better. It looks like it played off. Congrats and well done.
I really appreciate it, and anyone who high-fived, thank you too. I’ve come a long way for sure. Life can change fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back