Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think he's overrated. I think he was simply unknown because he was Vandy's QB. If he had played for a good team, he probably would have been a Heisman candidate.

Mike Mayock doesn't think he is overated and he analyzes the draft for a living. I wouldn't be surprised if many NFL scouts have Cutler rated higher than a most of the couch analyzers have him. He very well might be a safer pick than Young and in the long run a better QB. Certainly it is going to be hard for Cutler to surpass Young or Leinert simply because they have played on great college teams and have been in the spot light where Cutler played at Vandy and spent most of his career playing with guys that wouldn't even be third string players on Texas or USC. Like the one article said, Cutler is the only Vandy player even invited to the combine of the 330 players invited. That says alot. The only reason Cutler will not be picked early in the draft IMO is if the Titans don't take him, opting for Young instead and teams like Detroit, Jets or Arizona simply decide not to take a QB. If the JEts decide to draft a QB Cutler will be gone at #4.

Cutler would hardly be the first great QB to play on a bad college team and struggle to win games. The fact that he had so little talent surrounding him masks just how good he can be, but there is no doubt for anyone who watched Vandy this year that they were only going as far as he could carry them on his shoulders.

i want to see him and what he does @ the combine, well be interesting, thats for sure...

i still say you can't go wrong with either jay or vince imo...

I agree Jeff. Seen him play since high school. Is he good? Absolutely. Better than Young or Leinhart to be taken at #3? Not imo. And for the "talent around him" arguement....are you saying Vandy has NEVER played a team that they had superior talent than? Can you say MTSU?

VolnTitan said:
I agree Jeff. Seen him play since high school. Is he good? Absolutely. Better than Young or Leinhart to be taken at #3? Not imo. And for the "talent around him" arguement....are you saying Vandy has NEVER played a team that they had superior talent than? Can you say MTSU?

I'm not sure Vandy has more talent than MTSU. MTSU plays Vandy tough every year even with Cutler. If you put Cutler on MTSU Vandy would not have a chance.

MTSU has been horrible the last couple of seasons. They were 0-3 heading into that game and ended the year at 4-7. They gave up 34 or more points to teams like Louisiana-Monroe and Florida International. Their head coach was fired.

They do play inspired football against Vandy but that doesn't mean Middle has had much these last two seasons.

I'm big on Vince but if I thought we'd get an extra high 2nd or low first round pick to trade out and still manage to land Cutler and pick up both an impact LB and tough interior O-lineman I wouldn't complain. I know the least about Cutler than pretty much anyone but my gut tells me he has the stuff to be a big time player in this league. However all of the qb prospects in the draft seem risky to me.

TitanJeff said:
MTSU has been horrible the last couple of seasons. They were 0-3 heading into that game and ended the year at 4-7. They gave up 34 or more points to teams like Louisiana-Monroe and Florida International. Their head coach was fired.

They do play inspired football against Vandy but that doesn't mean Middle has had much these last two seasons.
It was about time that Andy Mac got fired. MTSU has talent-Andy Mac didnt know Xs and Os but he knew how to recruit. If Jay was on MTSU, Vandy wouldnt have a prayer

TitanJeff said:

And MTSU consistently produces as many of more NFL quality players each year as Vandy.

Anyone that thinks MTSU has more talent than Vandy are fooling themselves. Vandy drafted talent...maybe not on the Florida/LSU level, but certainly the UK level. Vandy has played teams that have had talent level equal to or less than Vandy.

bulluck4dMVP said:
i want to see him and what he does @ the combine, well be interesting, thats for sure...

i still say you can't go wrong with either jay or vince imo...

Vince promised not to throw at the combine, and Jay promised not to run.
:lol:

TitanJeff said:
Such as? The only quality NFL player I know of is Holcomb and he wasn't drafted.

Vandy has/had a number of quality players in the NFL from their defense over the years. Jamie Duncan, Jamie Winborn and Corey Chavous just to name a few.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/schools/VANDY
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/schools/MITNST

Vandy has not had an offensive player in the NFL since John Gromos in 1990.
Certainly Cutler's record would be much better had he played in the late 90s when Vandy had some talent on the defensive side of the ball considering a number of the Vandy loses to "inferior" teams like Kentucky were due to defensive failures. As a previous poster stated, "the both suck".

Vandy consistently has the worst talent in the SEC with the possible exception of Kentucky and if you take Cutler out of the equation they are no more talented than MTSU IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back