Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
As it stands now, McNair is a Titan for '06 at a cap hit of nearly $24 mil. Though the team may continue to try and rework his deal, his agent has said that '06 money would need to be $10 mil any way you look at it.

If you are Reese, what do you do?

ok Jeff... I'm no capologist, so... please help me... if MAC is here for a one year deal with a giant cap #... does that mean that he impacts the cap zero next year ('07 season)... I think "dead money" is the word... I could use some comprehension help here...

It's a bluff. McNair will renegotiate and take less. No way he wants to sour his potential retirement "spin-off" income the way Eddie did. If we draft Young, he'll re-negotiate.

Right. As it is now, at the end of '06, McNair is a free agent and off the books. But that means the money which was previously paid in bonuses goes under this year's cap. So, though McNair is set to make $9 mil in base salary and another $1 mil with the option bonus, there is close to $14 mil in stuff already paid which has to be lumped under this year's cap.

Let's say that McNair is willing to rework for a two-year deal. That $14 mil can then be spread out over two years ($7 mil each). So if he is willing to play for $8 mil base in '06 and '07, then you have a cap hit both years of $15 mil.

If they release him, $14 mil is still on the books and would be dead money for '06. But $10 mil would become available now.

I'm not sure if the $1 mil bonus is guaranteed or not. But it isn't due to be paid until September.

Riverman said:
It's a bluff. McNair will renegotiate and take less. No way he wants to sour his potential retirement "spin-off" income the way Eddie did. If we draft Young, he'll re-negotiate.
I agree. But if the Titans take a QB with #3, why keep McNair around past '06? Whoever is drafted will likely be ready to step in the following season which makes McNair an expensive backup or he gets cut which means another chunk of dead money.

I think the Titans cap future is much better next year (though you have to remember you have Haynesworth, Brown and Calico set to become UFAs) so the team might be able to absorb that dead money easier.

I'm not a capologist like Starkiller so he might give us more insight here and tweak the numbers. But I don't see any ideal situation here because it's time to pay the piper either way you go.

Do nothing, at least for now. Wait for the draft. If they take a QB early, let Steve play out his contract and get him off the books. If they don't take a QB, maybe they extend him by a year or 2.

If he's off the books next year, we're way under the cap, assuming there is one...

The Titans can still redo McNair's contract or release him. The $1 mil won't be paid for another six months.

Is that $1 mil guaranteed? I assume it is.

Starkiller said:
Do nothing, at least for now. Wait for the draft. If they take a QB early, let Steve play out his contract and get him off the books. If they don't take a QB, maybe they extend him by a year or 2.

If he's off the books next year, we're way under the cap, assuming there is one...
Let's assume two things:

1. The CPA will be worked out so there is a cap.
2. The Titans get a QB with #3.

With both Reese and Fisher nearing the end of their contracts, another 4-12 or 5-11 season will do them in. Does this add pressure for Reese to try and rework McNair so he can get some talent in on defense (and maybe a WR for Chow)?

I would assume the $1 million keeps him there for this year and this year only, which means the Titans will likely pickup a QB in the draft at #3 and either in 2007 the new guy or Volek will start.

I know the GM and Head Coach have to be concerned about winning and doing it this season but they(and the owners) also know that they are rebuilding after all the cuts last year so I think if they take a good step towards rebuilding by getting some fresh talent in this draft and maybe some FA pickups that they will have a better year and get contract extentions.

Everyone has said that teams can only remain competetive for about 5 years on average with the current CBA in place, since it require you to purge Vets, restructure deals, or do alot of cap juggling. And the Titans are just coming back from having to that and I think this season they will be better and next season probably back in playoff contention. Who knows with all the cuts this year they might do even better but I think alot of owners know that this years cap has put the majority of teams in a bad spot.

TitanJeff said:
With both Reese and Fisher nearing the end of their contracts, another 4-12 or 5-11 season will do them in. Does this add pressure for Reese to try and rework McNair so he can get some talent in on defense (and maybe a WR for Chow)?

Good question...either way, we will have way too much money invested in QBs in a couple of months, money that could be better spent to improve the defense and other key positions. I also don't get why McNair being a mentor is such a big deal, we're going to pay a guy 15-18 mil a year to rub all of his bad habits on our franchise rookie? Do people actually think the older Steve gets, the more durable he will be, and more he will practice? I don't, so Vince would be learning on his own with the coaching staff and taking reps anyway while Steve is going back and forth between the cold tub and the hot tub. Why have that on the books?? Vince will be getting the reps anyway, in this scenario, why not let him sit and learn behind Billy, who desperately wants a shot to play, and could enhance his trade value?

Jwill1919 said:
we're going to pay a guy 15-18 mil a year to rub all of his bad habits on our franchise rookie?
No, we'd be paying $7.5 - $9 mil a year. The rest is from prior bonuses and restructures.

It's interesting to see how this poll is going. Nearly as many want to release McNair as resign him to a two-year deal.

I say stay put, keep Mac one more year and if a team is willing to work a trade for mac or Volek consider it. Either way be out of the CAP hell after this year.

Reese mentioned in his press conference he is waiting for a ruling from the NFL on the McNair contract. Anyone know what that's about?

TitanJeff said:
No, we'd be paying $7.5 - $9 mil a year. The rest is from prior bonuses and restructures.

It's interesting to see how this poll is going. Nearly as many want to release McNair as resign him to a two-year deal.

Ok, I see what you're saying..But his cap hit would be in the 15-18 mil range right? still a lofty cap hit, for someone who could just retire and then be hired on by the Titans staff to be a Mentor for 1 mil a year.

Jwill1919 said:
Ok, I see what you're saying..But his cap hit would be in the 15-18 mil range right? still a lofty cap hit, for someone who could just retire and then be hired on by the Titans staff to be a Mentor for 1 mil a year.
If the Titans release him tomorrow, he is still a $14 mil cap hit from what I understand.

so then there is no relief in sight. he counts just as much with us or without us, I guess might as well have him. I am getting more confused the more I think, I feel like Vince Young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back