Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Watching the Steelers/Broncos game this past weekend really made me miss the Titans of 99/00. I could really care less about putting up 30+ points in a game as long as we put the smack down on opponents. I'm ready for Fisherball again. I think the team lost the "eye of the tiger" after the 03 season...not having an identity seemed to be a topic last season. The Titans need to regain the fire they have lost, Offenses use to dread stepping on the field against us. Personally i think this starts with a new DC and a smashmouth defensive player (A.J. Hawk). Just curious what ya'lls opinions are on the quickest way for us to become a defensive force again.

in the perfect world i want AJ hawk. he is a monster. kassel is not even .01 of what he is. and he is only a rookie! but i know we wont get him since we r going to get a shot at either young, bush, leinert and i dont think we pass on either 3. and to tell u the truth i wouldnt b surprised if we pass on leniert ( pending young and bush r out ) and we trade down and draft the cutler kid who everyone says is the best

Something must be wrong with my television. Because you know, coach fisher and swartzie have told me you can't blitz any at all, must less the way "my tv" showed pittsburgh playing and live to tell about it, I mean Peyton, and any other NFL QB will kill you if you blitz right? So anyways I am wondering what the real score was because no way my tv was showing the "real" game. Bring back the 46 in 06.:grrr: :grrr:

I dont think anybody on this board is going to deny that they are ready for an agressive d. However, will we get back to the 99-2000 days-probably not because Jimmy doesnt blitz(if you play with fire, you get burned)

Our defense is at its worse by far with the run. We allowed way too many teams rush over 100 yards against us which really goes against our defensive gameplan of stopping the run. I would love to see the D come back next year and not allow any 100 yard rushers all year. We could have a chance for the playoffs then.

I think defensive problems lay on a basis that the team did not play fired up, we have a pretty good defensive line, if Reese can get help at LB and a hard hitting safety, I think this year we can improve on D, and that's the key to a succesful team

The key is having LBs and Ss that are versatile enough to play the run, rush the passer and cover. Except for Bulluck our Ss and LBs couldn't do any of the above.

Ready, willing, and able. 46, 56, 76, whatever it takes. I'm ready to blitz the donald duck out all opposing defenses. I believe it works. I think there are very few qb's who prefer teams that blitz over non blitzing teams. Nobody likes to think that fast. Nobody. It puts all the pressure on the qb, unless of course, a team blitzes like the Falcons, who blitz someone from 5 miles back. That doesn't work in my opinion. Send the house and if you get burned, you collect on the insurance, and build and even bigger house. Like a house of Pain. Or something.

I've got no reason at this time to believe this defense in going to improve enough for us to sniff second place in the division let alone first. It's too bad in too many places and even the good spots have spoil marks and if it's not that it's injury or even youth working against us. I have little faith in our DC and at times I have wonderered if these guys are even on the same page.
downer.jpg

I have seen some very bad football this year and I'm not sure you take a 5-11 season followed by 4-12 and flip it to 11-5 or 12-4 overnight. You might as well put them down for an optimistic 6-10 and another long December next year because this D isn't going anywhere. There is nothing I'd like more than to be wrong but I was too optimistic last summer and I had high hopes so I see no reason to let the Titans go break my heart again. Until I see something change...a coach or a FA, draft pick, etc... I'm not going to be drinking the Kool-Aide till September.

Whaddahel do we need an aggressive D for? Scwartz is happy with the Blue Screen Of Death that we have now, and he knows more about it than we do, so I'm perfectly happy with it too.

....not.

I'll be the first to admit, I'm ever the optimistic homer...sometimes even I have trouble buying my own BS. But here's the way I look at it:

Every year, two or three teams have an amazing reversal of fortune, and flip a 4-12 record over to 12-4, or at least 10-6. This year, we saw the Bears, Redskins, and Bucs go from being doormats to playoff teams. In 2004, it was the Chargers and Falcons.

Nobody ever predicts the resurgence of these teams; only in hindsight do the pundits and prognosticators realize that these teams were on the cusp of excellence, needing just a few last pieces to fall into place. The Titans could very easily fall into this category.

Honestly, two players could make all the difference in the world for our defense. Add one ball-hawking safety and one solid linebacker into the mix, and we could very easily see a powerful and potentially dominating defense once again. (This, of course, assumes that our young D-line and corners show the kind of progress normally associated with players at their level of experience.) Those two areas were essentially the downfall of the defense this year....fill those holes, and you're probably looking at turning three or four of this year's losses into wins. (Oakland, Jax, Seattle, Cleveland, Cincy...all featured meltdowns by our defense, especially late in the game.).

On offense, one or two changes along the O-line could completely revitalize the entire unit. I mean, the truth is, the O-line was absolutely putrid in '05...yet the offense somehow ended up in the middle of the pack, statistically speaking. Obviously, stats don't tell the whole story, but to get that kind of production with such lousy blocking is quite a feat. Had our O-line even been just average, I think we would have seen at least three of four more wins. (Arizona, Cleveland, St. Louis, Cincy, Miami...all featured very specific breakdowns by the offense...and we went all year long without a running game.)

Put them all together, and you're looking at another 6-8 wins, which would land the Titans somewhere between 10-6 and 12-4. And the FO has acknowledged the shortcomings in each of these areas, and has made it clear that these positions will be addressed this offseason. (They've also mentioned getting a veteran WR and a veteran CB...both of which would only help to solidify the team.)

Like I said, I'm hopelessly optimistic...but in spite of the shortcomings in a number of areas, I truly believe that this team is not that far from being a contender once again.

Nine said:
Like I said, I'm hopelessly optimistic...but in spite of the shortcomings in a number of areas, I truly believe that this team is not that far from being a contender once again.
It's a good attitude to have. I'm trying to feel the same way.

I figure the Chow offense will be adjusted. It'll be much more effective the second year with everyone having a year of work with it. The Titans need that WR threat whether it be someone on the roster or someone they bring in. The running game must be more effective and the potential is there.

I think we'll see a lot of improvement in the secondary and from the defensive line. If the Titans can get more production from LB and S, we'll have a dramatic improvement on defense.

A couple of free agents, improvement from the first and second-year guys and a bit of luck can turn the ship around in a hurry.

Nine said:
But here's the way I look at it:
That's inspiring. :cry:

(really, it is)

I think by getting some veterans from free agency will add some leadership and put some fire into the D. Also, drafting good defensive players will allow for depth. Add both of them together and it may not be too hard to turn a 4-12 season into 12-4. Other teams have done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back