Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: With a number of moves including not exercising a $50 million option for QB Steve McNair or an option bonus with QB Billy Volek, the Tennessee Titans are below the salary cap. If the NFL extends the CBA over the next three weeks, the team will be in even better cap shape. The move with McNair will make him a free agent after the '06 season. Volek will become a free agent after the '07 season. Other moves today include not exercising an option with LB Peter Sirmon making '06 his final year. The Titans renegotiated G Benji Olson's deal, extending it by four years. RB Travis Henry also had his contract renegotiated. The team extended T Michael Roos' contract by one year and FS Lamont Thompson's by three. CB Pacman Jones' contract was also extended by a year. Tenders were extended to all exclusive rights and restricted free agents.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

I'm no cap expert but isn't restructuring a lot of contracts into the future what got us in this mess in the first place? I'm specifically thinking of Benji Olson, unless he took a significant paycut, I can see us just pushing his pay into the future...

I really don't understand keeping L.T. either. He was pretty horrible last year. There was definetly a good reason he was cut by the Bengals when they were bad.

Vigsted said:
I'm no cap expert but isn't restructuring a lot of contracts into the future what got us in this mess in the first place? I'm specifically thinking of Benji Olson, unless he took a significant paycut, I can see us just pushing his pay into the future...
"Restructuring" doesn't have to mean converting base salary into guaranteed money.

Thus far, the Titans have not announced that they have done that with anyone's contract. Olson, for example, essentially agreed to a new contract.

metal957 said:
So how much are we under now?

50 cents knowing Reese.

Let's assume for a minute that there will be a new CBA agreement. If there is they could still alter this years cap right? Let's assume the answer is yes. Since we are under the 94 million dollar cap and the new CBA would change that to around 105-110 million. that would give us somewhere between 11-16 million in room. Do you think Reese has preplanned room for the draftees? If so, we would have even more room. Right?

Woody81 said:
I thought we would part ways w/ LT and Sirmon

Thats one thing I don't like about this team, we hang onto players who don't have what it takes or are over the hill for too long based on their potential or loyalty.

Bennett83 said:
50 cents knowing Reese.

Let's assume for a minute that there will be a new CBA agreement. If there is they could still alter this years cap right? Let's assume the answer is yes. Since we are under the 94 million dollar cap and the new CBA would change that to around 105-110 million. that would give us somewhere between 11-16 million in room. Do you think Reese has preplanned room for the draftees? If so, we would have even more room. Right?

I'm hoping that's the thinking. It'd be nice if we were well-prepared for a change, but I'm betting every time is trying to be in that boat.

I want to see the numbers myself. Still can't believe Steve is going to count $23.4M. I hope we get a deal done for around three years, just for the extra relief.

I like them extending Roos and Jones, this makes me think they are not ready to give up on Lamont either. I wonder if they will try to move him to ss if\when Tank leaves. Makes ya wonder why we kept him otherwise...

maximus said:
Was the extension of Roos and PacMan based on performance or was it based on trying to get under the cap?
It wasn't extensions. They simply picked up the option bonuses in their rookie contracts. They did that to siphon away some of the cap hit from last season.

so it spreads out the original SB over an additional year, or was there an additional SB for additional year on the original contract, or am I totally confused

Does this mean we're commited to Mac this year for 23 mil on the cap, or are we just giving up $1mil to keep him from becoming a free agent to give time to keep negotiating (similar to how we did Eddie George)? 23 mil is too much of a cap hit, although I don't know what it would be if we just released him.

GoT said:
so it spreads out the original SB over an additional year, or was there an additional SB for additional year on the original contract, or am I totally confused

lol you just confused me.

GoT said:
It just adds a bonus that will be spread out over the next 4 years. The original bonus was already spread out over the 5 years (including the option year).

The idea is to save money up front by moving part of the original bonus to the next year to save immediate cap room. Essentially, it's a split bonus. Of course, Roos technically didn't have a signing bonus to start with, but that doesn't change how the option bonus works.

smili said:
Does this mean we're commited to Mac this year for 23 mil on the cap, or are we just giving up $1mil to keep him from becoming a free agent to give time to keep negotiating (similar to how we did Eddie George)? 23 mil is too much of a cap hit, although I don't know what it would be if we just released him.
We are locked into part of McNair's cap hit. The $13.5M is split over the life of the contract (which as of now is 1 year). If they gave him a new multi-year deal, part of that wouldn't hit until next year. We will be committed to the $1M once they pay him the bonus.

As for the $9M, we aren't technically committed to it until the season starts. But for now, it counts under the cap unless/until his contract changes somehow (traded, cut, extended).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back