Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Not a hate thread at all, I was in the minority here that wanted Henry to take over as the full-time back when he had his up's and down's in 2018, and was constantly advocating that he just takes a bit to get started and needs his touches to get going. But I noticed something about Henry that makes him so difficult to defend against. Because he's so tall and almost 250 lbs, normally defenders would launch at his legs, but with the new rules, you're restricted from doing so. Because of that, defenders have to resort to arm tackle his body, and well, as we've seen, that isn't going to work against someone like Henry.

It’s an interesting discussion because if you look back when Chris Brown was our guy after Eddie, his main criticism was that he ran “tall”. Both Henry and Brown were 6’ 3”. Brown had a reputation for being injury prone, but if you look at Henry, he really doesn’t tuck his shoulder much at all, so they should be taking the same type of “hits”.

this is a very good observation, and I wonder if 10 years ago, if Henry would have the same success.

Valid question but not to underestimate Henry, he has the best stiff arm I’ve ever seen. Not just recent history, ever, all time,
His speed makes me think he would have run upright more anyway and still use the arm to push people away.

Players are much less prone to tackle like we were taught back in the day. Now it’s about stripping the ball instead of wrapping and driving through.

:tj:

If they went for his legs he would just stiff leg them!

Henry could still do more on one leg than most RBs can do on two

:henry:.

You can lead with the head if you go low and the runner isn’t defenseless. You’ll likely get kneed in the head and receive the worst of it, but it’s legal.

Players are much less prone to tackle like we were taught back in the day. Now it’s about stripping the ball instead of wrapping and driving through.

:tj:
Ya I was taught in Highschool to put my helmet on the ball if I could, not spearing more the facemask, grab the legs and drive through and wrap'em up.

It’s an interesting discussion because if you look back when Chris Brown was our guy after Eddie, his main criticism was that he ran “tall”. Both Henry and Brown were 6’ 3”. Brown had a reputation for being injury prone, but if you look at Henry, he really doesn’t tuck his shoulder much at all, so they should be taking the same type of “hits”.

this is a very good observation, and I wonder if 10 years ago, if Henry would have the same success.
Yea but Chris Brown was only 219lbs and ran like he was serving pizza

Henry is 247 and has insane top end speed and reach.

Players "lead with their helmet" at the legs all the time. The only time that ever really gets called is if they spear a guy helmet to helmet without even attempting to wrap up/tackle.

Henry runs upright because he's a big dude with speed. He could lower his shoulder more, but that takes away the chance of bouncing and outrunning everyone on the field. It works, so no complaints here.

Leading with the helmet is only illegal against a "defenseless" player. So receivers when they're going for a catch and QB's mostly.

You're not protected by the rule when you're a runner.

The reason many guys don't go low on Henry is because he has a 6'9" wingspan and can also stiff arm guys to the ground when they come low. His 94 yard run highlighted this:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back