Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
We have some interesting questions with the TE group going into camp, does anything think we will be able to continue using 12 personal groupings with two TEs with Firkser and Swaim leading the way? Or will there be more 11 personnel this season, I am kinda on the fence, as I am hoping guys like Jared Pinkney and Miller Forristal become good blocking TEs in our scheme!

Screen%2BShot%2B11-25-15%2Bat%2B08.38%2BAM%2B002.PNG

I consider Firkser a big slot WR anyways, I expect them to split him out more often than not.

There's a lot of formations they can run with the receiving weapons we have, and spreading other teams out more will only give more space for Henry to break more arm tackles from DB's making business decisions.

I am sure I am going against the grain, but yeah, I would rather have the TE in blocking position. Make it easier to disguise run and increase the effectiveness of play action. TE fake the block, 5 yards turn and catch.

I miss mularkey and the exotic smash mouth offense.

Nothing beats 6 OL, 2 TE, QB, Henry, and Matthews running a streak every play. It was so innovative and original.

Go back and watch the Titan's offense back in 1999-2000 where we played a bunch of two TEs. Firkser is the Wycheck in that formation and Swaim is the Jackie Harris, Kinney guy (later was Crumpler with Bo Scaife). The blocking TE can get some dump offs if left uncovered but it will be Firkser getting the bulk of throws. You will also see some of the FB with, or instead of a TE (remember Lo Neal, Ahmad Hall?). Blasingame is a nice guy for that. What Julio allows us to do is go with a FB or 2 TE and still put pressure on the back end of the defense. Tannehill isn't going to be the 1999 version of McNair throwing 5 yard passes all the time. Bottom line is we can basically do whatever we want to do on offense and have success.

I’d like to see swaim add some catches as the #2 guy. All of the combos of TE the titans have had success with came with 2 that could catch. 1 more a primary WR target, the other just able to find some dump of shallow space.
The best #2’s I’ve seen so far is Kinney and Stevens. Scarify was more a #1, just not as good as Wycheck, troupe, crumpler, Cook, or Walker.
Fasano was too short lived in town

I am curious, do y’all think Firkser will line up in line as much as Jonnu did as the #1 TE? I know Swaim will, It seems some think we will be using more 11 personnel with 3wr, but as Downing is a TE coach I doubt that

I am curious, do y’all think Firkser will line up in line as much as Jonnu did as the #1 TE? I know Swaim will, It seems some think we will be using more 11 personnel with 3wr, but as Downing is a TE coach I doubt that
Downing has coached multiple positions in his career. So, I’m not sure he is stuck in the TE box like Mularkey was.

I’d like to see swaim add some catches as the #2 guy. All of the combos of TE the titans have had success with came with 2 that could catch. 1 more a primary WR target, the other just able to find some dump of shallow space.
The best #2’s I’ve seen so far is Kinney and Stevens. Scarify was more a #1, just not as good as Wycheck, troupe, crumpler, Cook, or Walker.

Scaife couldn't block well either. Walker is probably the best TE we ever had as far as blocking and catching. Smith wasn't a "great" blocker either. So you have a long line of TEs who were far better pass catchers than blockers (Wycheck, Scaife, Cook and now maybe Firkser) and guys who know know Firkser has a special skill set for getting open and great hands. Plus we are a zone running team, not a power team so we don't need a bull dozer at TE in the run game as in the past (Mularkey all the way back to Eddie George).

And by the way Firkser had as good or better of a run blocking grade per PFF as Smith and Swaim. Swaim did have 26 catches for Dallas in 2018 starting 9 games so apparently he has something besides fins for hands.
(2) Geoff Swaim ultimate highlights - YouTube

Scaife couldn't block well either. Walker is probably the best TE we ever had as far as blocking and catching. Smith wasn't a "great" blocker either. So you have a long line of TEs who were far better pass catchers than blockers (Wycheck, Scaife, Cook and now maybe Firkser) and guys who know know Firkser has a special skill set for getting open and great hands. Plus we are a zone running team, not a power team so we don't need a bull dozer at TE in the run game as in the past (Mularkey all the way back to Eddie George).

And by the way Firkser had as good or better of a run blocking grade per PFF as Smith and Swaim. Swaim did have 26 catches for Dallas in 2018 starting 9 games so apparently he has something besides fins for hands.
(2) Geoff Swaim ultimate highlights - YouTube
I’ve been told that Henry can catch too, we just don’t ever really use it.

I can’t recall swam getting a whole lot of chances last year and with him really taking the #2 spot, he should get more chances to showcase those hands. Hope to see it. I’d be very happy to see another Kinney or Stevens quality guy behind firkser.

I can't see Swaim getting more catches with the playmakers we have this coming year.

Swaim going to be that player that catches 7 catches for 5 TD's this year. Nothing wrong in that though. Just don't see him getting anything thrown his way with what we have on offense.

I can't see Swaim getting more catches with the playmakers we have this coming year.

Swaim going to be that player that catches 7 catches for 5 TD's this year. Nothing wrong in that though. Just don't see him getting anything thrown his way with what we have on offense.
I think he gets plenty more opportunities than that, and the team will likely need it.
Let’s assume THill duplicates last year’s 315 completions (likely will go up with the extra game). I think both fall less than this, but give Brown and Jones 80 each. That still leaves 155 to spread between Firkser and the rest.
Last year TE had 94 catches.
Smith - 41
Firkser - 39
Swaim - 9
Pruitt - 5
Firkser isn’t reaching that and even with a drop in overall TE catches, swaim will get some chances, assuming he stays as the true #2.
If he gets passed on the depth chart or the O runs in a way that he is either blocker or off the field, then you’re dead on and he may only have 7 catches.

Swaim will get some touches because he isn't expected to be the guy. That is about all we want. Firkser should surpass last years catches by 25% just by getting more snaps so he might really go off. I bet Tannehill increases his productivity significantly and while Henry will probably have a solid year they won't need him to carry the ball as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back