Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
And for my first post...

Selecting a QB in the first round is not a wise choice, IMO. History shows that there is no way to acurately measure a QB's future success. I believe the best way to build for the present and future is to get a proven QB from FA and use the draft to surround him with talent.

If I were Bud, I would trade our #1 to the Falcons for Matt Schaub and a 3rd round pick. This would address our immediate need for a quality QB and give us one more first day pick to use on OL, MLB, RB.

You know what you're getting with Schaub. With Leinert, Young, Cutler...well no one knows. Could be great, could be disasterous.

Allright, I'll admit, I don't know a whole lot about Schaub. I took a quick look at his stats on espn though, and I'd like more explanation. How do you know what you're getting? In 2 years, he's averaged less that a 50% completion percentage. He had a few good showings in 2005, but does that give him that much separation from the "unknown" QBs?

I don't really doubt him that much, just looking for evidence.

A little support for my doubt... during his "good showings", he wasn't that impressive. He threw 9/13 with a TD in the end of a game against the Panthers where they were already down by over 40 points. If that's not a pointless game, I don't know what is. True, he threw 3 TDs in one game, a loss to NE. He didn't win the game. We've seen great things from volek where he's thrown for tons of yards and points, but not won us the game. Why is Schaub any better?

For one, his career completion % is TERRIBLE. Its worse than Michael Vicks. He may "look" successful but as the Giants found out when you need the completions - he won't do the job (Eli). Matt Schaub is good but I don't think he's worth any more than where the Falcons drafted him (3rd round). Hell the Raiders have Andrew Walter who was the #1/#2 QB prospect before the season began who they drafted in the 3rd round. Should we trade our #3 for him too?

GoTitans3801 said:
Allright, I'll admit, I don't know a whole lot about Schaub. I took a quick look at his stats on espn though, and I'd like more explanation. How do you know what you're getting? In 2 years, he's averaged less that a 50% completion percentage. He had a few good showings in 2005, but does that give him that much separation from the "unknown" QBs?

I don't really doubt him that much, just looking for evidence.

That's what I thought a couple of months ago, when this topic first came up. I like Schaub, but I really think it's not that much riskier to take Young over Schaub:winker:

Tuckfro42 said:
And for my first post...

Selecting a QB in the first round is not a wise choice, IMO. History shows that there is no way to acurately measure a QB's future success. I believe the best way to build for the present and future is to get a proven QB from FA and use the draft to surround him with talent.

If I were Bud, I would trade our #1 to the Falcons for Matt Schaub and a 3rd round pick. This would address our immediate need for a quality QB and give us one more first day pick to use on OL, MLB, RB.

You know what you're getting with Schaub. With Leinert, Young, Cutler...well no one knows. Could be great, could be disasterous.

Hey man please don't do drugs!!!

I'd rather take my chances with Volek. I think he and Shaub are on about the same level......We stink anyway, why not take a chance on what could be a superstar QB in a few years...rather than take a non-proven back up that is not more than average....

I think he is a decent back, he's not that bad guys, but come on, we have to take Young, potential superstar over overated mediocre QB any day of the week, period

What strikes me is that there seems to be much better evidence for keeping/starting Volek rather than Schaub, even less than trying to compare that value to the potential new QB...

Man, I'm getting killed.http://www.gotitans.com/goForum/images/smilies/hmm.gif

Let me clarify my reasoning for Schaub-he holds every passing record from his alma mater, Virginia; He has successful NFL experience; his completion percentage is low because of dropped passes (Besides Crumpler, Falcon's receiving core is a joke); His pricetag isn't nearly as high as what a drafted #1 QB would be; and a 3rd round pick would be included.

Schaub is one of the most valued young QB's in the league. Don't believe me, ask the Jets' FO. They wanted him in the Abraham deal. The Falcons value him so much they gave their 1st round pick for Abraham instead. Several teams have tried to work a deal with Falcons for Schaub and they won't take anything less than an early 1st round pick-Vikings offered #17 and that wasn't high enough.

I believe that Schaub could come in and start, successfully, right away. I don't think you can say that for any of the prospects. For the record, though, this is just my, and several GMs, "idiotic" opinion.

Tuckfro42 said:
And for my first post...

never speak again... hahaha :lol:

I don't think you're an idiot, but that is a pretty bad first post! :winker:

Um, we simply CANNOT get rid of this pick.

Now, what happens with Steve, I have no idea. I love the guy. He is (as Bulluck stated) the "heart & soul" of the team.

That said, bridges have been burned, & burned bad. Methinks there is no going back. Unfortunately, I believe that Steve should be released. Man, I can't believe that I'm saying that. :irked:

However, we will have mucho cap room then, & can improve elsewhere. Maybe get Ty Law, or some other position players. Add some depth.

I'm a lifelong Oilers fan, so it'll be like the transition was from Moon to McNair ... prolly a few years of putting up with some journeyman scrubs like Chris Chandler. Only Volek is Chris Chandler. :ha:

By the time our pick, be it Leinart, or Vince is game savvy, we'll have (at best) gone 8-8 a year or two (as The Oilers did upon arrival in Tenn.) and then LEAPFROG into the upper echelon & contend for a title, yay!

I have faith in Fish!!!

Then 7 or 8 years down the road, Floyd Reese can get us back into cap trouble all over again. :ha:

Wow, I feel like an assistant principal today...

This thread has given a couple of examples of why everyone should reread the forum rules, especially #6 which reads...

"6. Agree to disagree. Everyone's opinion counts, is valued, and should be respected. If you can't respect someone's point of view -- ignore it! Personally attacking another poster by name-calling will not be tolerated. You may call someone's comments "stupid" without calling the person who made the post "stupid". Take any negative personal stuff to a private message or e-mail."

As they say on another board I frequent, "attack the post, not the poster." Its a fine line, but a couple people have crossed it today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back