Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
We sucked last year and lucked into the 3rd pick. There were 4 other teams that finished 4-12 last year (SF, GB, NYJ, Oak). Three of them won their last game. (SF beat the Texans who were tanking games left and right. GB beat Seattle who was resting for the playoffs. And the Jets beat the Bills. We picked before all of them.

I'm not holding my breath, but if Schwartz gets his head out of his *** I think the defense will be much improved. Good FA signings and maturing DL and CB groups mean that the defense can lead this team.

I think Volek can hold it down for 6 weeks. If he goes 3-3 or better, the season will be his. If not, Vince might be ready to take over after the bye.

The Givens signing means we have two reliable WR's. Aside from 2004, the team really hasn't had that since Warren Moon was the QB. At TE I like what Kinney does and I'm hoping that Troupe breaks out. Sorry, he's a decent player but Sciafe doesn't really impress me. He'll lose touches to Givens.....I hope.

At RB I think Brown is the man for now, but he's got to be on a short leash. If he starts the season getting dinged, he'll find the bench and Henry will get his shot. White is the future.

I think the new look on the O-line will spark the team. I can't tell you how great I think the Mawae signing was. Finally, a center who knows what the f he's doing!!! Benji is a gamer. Piller is a moron, but I think Mawae will help him in a lot of ways. Hopefully Roos settles in on the left side, and one of the young guys steps up on the right.

I see light.

Mawae will have to bring a lot because I've not been impressed with the interior blocking for a few seasons. With the lack of experience at tackle, I think the OL is the most suspect part of the Titans offense. How they play will go a long way towards improving the offense. They are the key.

Even though it usually takes free agents some time to gel with a new team, you have to believe the defense should be significantly better this season. That improvement will impact the offense in a very positive way as well.

If the Titans can stay relatively healthy, I believe they have a shot at seven wins which I think is significant towards making the team a contender again by '07. I'd even be pleased with a six-win season with this schedule if the losses were close and this team didn't tank it in December.

I agree there is reason to be optimistic. The team appears hungry which I've not sensed for a while.

If we win only 6 or 7 games I see now reason to be optimistic that we will be anything close to "contenders" the following year.

We have a young team but look it is finally time for some of these guys to show something or they never will. With Bennett and Givens and other depth at WR what is going to occur in 2007 that would make us be better than we should be right now? We could lose Bennett but get Jones back 100%?

Same goes for the RB position. Unless White just turns into a real stud I can't see our RB situation being any better in 2007. We might lose Brown and who knows about White and Henry.

How about OL and DL. What is going to happen in 2007 that shouldn't happen in 2006? We could be without Long and Starks in 2007. Is that going to be an inprovement.

We should see improvement right now at LB and at S. Except for Thompson absolutely stinking this year and Fuller or Lowry taking his place how do we see 2007 being any better? Our CBs should be making a jump this year but I doubt they make as big of a jump in 2007.

The only big jump I see is at the QB postion and we don't know if Young will even see the field this year although he probally will and needs to. If our OL doesn't get it done and we don't have a real solid running game this year I have little hope for improvement in 2007 in that area.

IMO we better show a whole lot of improvement this year or 2007 will not be something to really look forward to.

It depends on how you look at things.

1. I have a lot more confidence our OL will be better in '07 with a full year working together.

2. Givens has a year under his belt. The young WRs are ready to contribute big entering their third season.

3. I'm hopeful Young is starting which improves the QB position.

4. As for RB, White should be ready to be a major contributor.

5. At DL, Starks is now a mature tackle opposite Haynesworth and you have LaBoy and Odom entering their prime.

6. The LBs should have more experience as a unit.

7. At DB, you have a lot of young talent with a full year's experience working together.

Everything points to the Titans returning to be playoff contenders in '07 and beyond. What is important in that is to see players take their game up a level near the end of the '06 season. We've not seen step yet from Waddell, Calico, Starks, LaBoy or Odom. We'll know by the end of this season how the second-year guys are doing.

I do agree we need to see a lot of improvement in '06 but with our schedule, a much better team may not produce anything better than 6 or 7 wins. Like I said entering '05, I see anything over 7 wins as gravy.

Good points made by everyone. The hope I have for this season is every interview I've seen or heard, the players are all talking about a change in the locker room. This year the players are coming together more as a team. Team effort is what will make a difference in those 4th quarter ballgames....

Yep those 3rd year guys have gotta step it up this year if we're gonna do something from this season and beyond.

LaBoy looked good towards the end of last season, interested to see how he will progress this year

TitanJeff said:
Like I said entering '05, I see anything over 7 wins as gravy.

mmmmmm..... gravy

01937.jpg

Soxcat said:
If we win only 6 or 7 games I see now reason to be optimistic that we will be anything close to "contenders" the following year.

We have a young team but look it is finally time for some of these guys to show something or they never will. With Bennett and Givens and other depth at WR what is going to occur in 2007 that would make us be better than we should be right now? We could lose Bennett but get Jones back 100%?

Same goes for the RB position. Unless White just turns into a real stud I can't see our RB situation being any better in 2007. We might lose Brown and who knows about White and Henry.

How about OL and DL. What is going to happen in 2007 that shouldn't happen in 2006? We could be without Long and Starks in 2007. Is that going to be an inprovement.

We should see improvement right now at LB and at S. Except for Thompson absolutely stinking this year and Fuller or Lowry taking his place how do we see 2007 being any better? Our CBs should be making a jump this year but I doubt they make as big of a jump in 2007.

The only big jump I see is at the QB postion and we don't know if Young will even see the field this year although he probally will and needs to. If our OL doesn't get it done and we don't have a real solid running game this year I have little hope for improvement in 2007 in that area.

IMO we better show a whole lot of improvement this year or 2007 will not be something to really look forward to.

A 6-7 win season, with some competitive wins or loses, would be a HUGE improvement for a team that couldn't anything but teams ****tier then us. If the defense and o-line show improvement, I'll be happy. If some leadership develops on both sides, from young players, I'll be even happier. I expect both of this to happen next year.

Brian, I agree that it will be nice to see a guy at center that knows what he is doing and won't get knocked into the backfield whenever someone plays on his nose.

We all know that Olson and Pillar are slugs and I think that was a major problem last yr because when they tried to pull they were slow getting to the hole and thus clogged the area. Bell did a much better job the yr before of being able to get to the 2nd level and seal off the LBs. I wonder if the guards will have less pulling assignments given that Mawae is so skilled at it.

Thoughts II

Apologies to anyone who previously responded legitimately to this thread:

We sucked last year and lucked into the 3rd pick. There were 4 other teams that finished 4-12 last year (SF, GB, NYJ, Oak). Three of them won their last game. (SF beat the Texans who were choking away games left and right. GB beat Seattle who was resting for the playoffs. And the Jets beat the Bills. We picked before all of them.

I'm not holding my breath, but if Schwartz gets his head out of his *** I think the defense will be much improved. Good FA signings and maturing DL and CB groups mean that the defense can lead this team.

I think Volek can hold it down for 6 weeks. If he goes 3-3 or better, the season will be his. If not, Vince might be ready to take over after the bye.

The Givens signing means we have two reliable WR's. Aside from 2004, the team really hasn't had that since Warren Moon was the QB. At TE I like what Kinney does and I'm hoping that Troupe breaks out. Sorry, he's a decent player but Sciafe doesn't really impress me. He'll lose touches to Givens.....I hope.

At RB I think Brown is the man for now, but he's got to be on a short leash. If he starts the season getting dinged, he'll find the bench and Henry will get his shot. White is the future.

I think the new look on the O-line will spark the team. I can't tell you how great I think the Mawae signing was. Finally, a center who knows what the f he's doing!!! Benji is a gamer. Piller is a moron, but I think Mawae will help him in a lot of ways. Hopefully Roos settles in on the left side, and one of the young guys steps up on the right.

I see light.

i agree...
plus the young wideouts will have a year under their belts

as well as the dline...

the o-line scares me. we could be better than last year but who really knows

Brian's original post was a serious thread with some good discussion underway. Unfortunately, it turned into smack and was moved to Smack Central. I welcome all who wish to continue a serious football discussion to do so here. Those wishing to talk smack can do so in Smack Central.

Any of the admins could have moved the smack into a different thread and saved the rest to preserve the thread (just for future problems like that). I've done that a few times.

And apparently, I can bring them back from the dead, too...
priest.gif

Starkiller! :super:
Get that paddles!
defibpaddles.jpg

We're losing her! Call Dr. Bongo!

sn10.gif

I've got a thought. How about we give Jacksonville a run for their money.
Let's drink the kool aid and think big. Everyone contributes, everyone wins, injury bugs are exterminated.

Go Titans!
Section 330 Row KK Rocks!
thewave.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back