Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
McNair has been a warrior for us since he started and i've always held his character in high regard, but the fact is McNair doesnt have the ability anymore to be a top 5 QB...he hardly even practices anymore. The future is now and I think Bud hit the nail on the head. I would love for McNair to come back for 2 seasons and battle it out to start, but hes never going to be as good as he was. If he truly wants a ring and wants to go out like with class like Bettis is this year, he will accept his role as vet that doesnt have the tools anymore and help bring this team back to glory with a new guy at the helm. If not, Billy is more than capable to steer the ship until a new qb is ready.

This is no more than Bus Cook "negotiating" for his client. Unfortunatley, I don't think they are on as firm of ground as they think. Steve's skills has diminished to a point the Titans could sign a free agent QB to get them through the next season or two and then Young, Leinert or Cuttler would be ready to run the show.
Will the Titans call their bluff? The did with Eddie, and there was no market out there.

JDee

Slipjack said:
Baltimore can have him (although a draft pick would be nice). Take the 10 mil and get some players.
It wouldn't bother you to see one of our biggest warriors in a purple ratbird uni??? The thought makes me sick...:barf:...I'd almost be willing to draft Cutler if it gauranteed Steve would be around for 2 more seasons....

So all of that talk about a month and a half back is total hogwash?

The talk I'm referring to was how Steve played at Alcorn with Vince's uncle, how Steve has been counseling Vince for years, how Steve has gone to help Vince with his game, blah blah blah.

Now, are we to expect that everything has changed, and that suddenly Steve is not interested in being a mentor?

I'll be in the garage looking for my hip waders.

dontdraftCutler said:
It wouldn't bother you to see one of our biggest warriors in a purple ratbird uni??? The thought makes me sick...:barf:...I'd almost be willing to draft Cutler if it gauranteed Steve would be around for 2 more seasons....
Please. I'd be happy for him and our other ex-players there.

The more that people from inside the Titans' organization (Adams, Fish, Reese) go public with the position that the team needs to draft a new franchise QB the less convinced I am that they will.

titanbuoy said:
The more that people from inside the Titans' organization (Adams, Fish, Reese) go public with the position that the team needs to draft a new franchise QB the less convinced I am that they will.

Ditto. I don't recall Bud Adams ever being a highly vocal guy in terms of who the organization drafts, or picks up via free agency. This may be a well-placed smoke-screen to make it look like the Titans are going to go QB.

This mock draft from KFFL indicates that we, "don't have enough cap space to sign a No.3 overall player at the QB position." Is there any truth to this?

http://fantasysports.yahoo.com/analysis/news?slug=kffl-nfldraftgrapevine&prov=kffl&type=lgns&league=fantasy

They can and will find the cap space for a qb if they decide thats what they want to do. Still a few ways to get cap space thats why Reese keeps saying we can't carry Steves current cap #. McNair's contract will be reworked or he will be released freeing up the room we need.

Riverman said:
If the titans draft VY, then Steve's choice is to re-negotiate or leave. Come on, what do you think he'll do?
Based on his agents statements I have no idea. This issue greatly concerns me. I realize it is important to retain McNair for if we don't the chances of being successful drop off significantly. Conversely, to keep him with a 25 million dollar cap #... that's roughly 1/4 of the big enchilada... totally unacceptable. We can't live with that. Unless some middle ground is found then the die will be cast and Reese will be left with no choice. If I hadn't already seen the way the EG thing went down, I wouldn't sweat it. EG thing happened... I have no reason to believe this can not go the same way. That worries me even if they do chaulk it up to "postering" and "agent speak" ... I can't count on anything.

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
Based on his agents statements I have no idea. This issue greatly concerns me.... I can't count on anything.

I really believe nothing will happen until after the draft. If we draft Young, then I think the following scenario plays out:

1) Steve re-negotiates for 2 year contract (4-5 mil/year) with 1 or 2 year extension.
2) Steve starts next year (06) and Most of (07).
3) VY gets a few starts 07 and all 08.
4) Steve retires 08.
5) Titans build offense around mobile QB.

If we draft Cutler or Leinart, I think Steve holds firm and plays for the money. Probably Baltimore.

1) Steve gone.
2) Volek starts '06, Leinart/Cutler start last few games if we're out of play-off hunt.
3) Volek gone in '07.
4) Offense built around pocket passing/RB outlets.

If we draft Bush:

1) Steve re-negotiates for 3 year contract (4-5 mill/yr)
2) Build offense around run game.

With the FA moves the Titans have made and Fish/Reese needing some evidence of tangible improvement, I can't see them taking Leinart or Cutler.
I see VY or Bush as the most likely choices for Reese/Fish/Titans. But what do I know?:winker:

Even if we draft bush, I don't think we build around run game. Bush can't handle that much of a load, and we'd have to beef up the line.

If we beefed up the line, I'd be excited, with Bush, Brown, and Henry, we could be a force...

Riverman said:
I really believe nothing will happen until after the draft.
so I guess this whole, "get the hell out of my practice facility and take your little dog too..." approach taken by the FO is really just no big deal.

witch.gif

Nothing to worry about. Nothing "Jerry Jones-ish" about it...

just part of the negotiation process...
nothing at all...

jones_jerry050405.jpg

Jerry, I mean, Bud knows what he's doing...
I hope he's taking his old folks pills...
He's waited 40 years to win a Super Bowl...
I guess he's taking matters into his own hands.

Jones must have beat him by at least 6 strokes out on the links.

stooges_golf1.jpg

Which one do you think looks like Bud?

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
so I guess this whole, "get the hell out of my practice facility and take your little dog too..." approach taken by the FO is really just no big deal.

Well, I didnt' see locking McNair out of the facility coming- that's for sure. But, I do believe we're hearing alot of agent rhetoric. I haven't seen any direct quotes from Steve yet.

This apparently all went down yesterday. Alot of spin is percolating out- most of it from Bus Cook. We'll hear the FO side tomorrow. I can't believe by tomorrow PM it is going to be as bad as it sounds tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back