Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

I’ve collected cards since I was a kid but realized I pretty much don’t know s**t for the most part.

I have a ton of older cards and for the very first time got some PSA graded.
Dummy me, didn’t really look over a handful of cards beforehand due to some excitement of actually finding a local shop that does everything (sends off) for me at a reasonable
Cost.

Anyway, a couple 9’s worth a little something but a 5 and a 3 that are pretty low value/worthless.

Bought some newer cards and for the life of me, guessing which color/holographic version a card is, is pretty frustrating. Even worse, card companies made EVERY player with all these unnecessary alternates. Being a “star” almost doesn’t matter anymore as long as the card is the super holo, color, with a specific number made (1/1 obviously the best).
And they’re really expensive.

Curious who also else is into at all.
Share some favorites if you want, maybe buyers and sellers can even hook up here.

I use to have cards I adorned growing up and would still have them if my Mom didn't think they were junk and threw them away during her spring cleaning.

I don't think they were worth anything at the time, nor would be anything today.

My favorites were:

Warren Moon vs Browns
Ernest Givins
Darryll Lewis (was signed)
Sean Jones
Ray Childress (painted card)

Those cards meant everything to me, especially the Ernest Givins and Darryll Lewis cards as I would always act like I was them growing up playing backyard football.

Just remember as a kid I'd always talk my Mom into buying me a pack of Pro Set cards. The good ole days.

I use to have cards I adorned growing up and would still have them if my Mom didn't think they were junk and threw them away during her spring cleaning.

I don't think they were worth anything at the time, nor would be anything today.

My favorites were:

Warren Moon vs Browns
Ernest Givins
Sean Jones

Those cards meant everything to me, especially the Ernest Givins and Darryll Lewis cards as I would always act like I was them growing up playing backyard football.

Just remember as a kid I'd always talk my Mom into buying me a pack of Pro Set cards. The good ole days.
Tons of Warren moon for me as well.
Most of the cards I had when I was kid are also pretty limited on the values. I just didn’t take care of them or really know how.

I have gotten a lot as an adult though.
1990 fleer. One of my earliest packs and one of my favorite looking sets.

My card collection is top level because I started in 1983, and never stopped collecting during the junk wax and low value era of the 90's, pushed through with passion. Up until 2021 it was more or less just fun, but that's when the card values flew off the charts. Now, you can literally retire on some cards.

However, the Oilers and Titans.... Nope. Literally almost no value. CJ2K and Vince Young were our best chance at cashing in big, but both values, even the autographs, are less than $10 now. You can probably buy an apple fritter with 'em. There was a chance both would pay off big. They did not. I took a zero on both.

The days of buying in low and cashing high are practically over. For collectors who want to see value, you have to buy in high, watch 99% of them drop to a zero, and hope you got the one guy that becomes a legend. It's rough. So I don't dabble unless it looks like a sure thing. And I never buy packs. It is fun, glorius fun, but it's a very expensive hobby now if you want to see long term value.

Guys who have potential long term payouts in my opinion:
-Benes

His only problem is he plays in boring assed Pittsburgh and pitchers usually get hurt. But he's a phenom. And they don't come around but once every 10 years. Think he could be the one legend for the next era. Mahomey is football. Ohtani is baseball. And basketball is still looking for the next phenom to replace Lebron. Luka was close..but fell off.

Last edited:

My favorites were:

Warren Moon vs Browns
Ernest Givins
Sean Jones

That’s a shame losing your cards that way

After I was grown my parents bought a farm and rented out our house. I had a refridgerator box in the attic with football and baseball cards mostly from the sixties and a few football cards as well I had a ton of comic books in there as well

First thing I mentioned was I wanted my cards. My dad said he gave them instructions not to touch anything in the attic. Of course when they left without paying they made sure to steal all my hard obtained stuff along with the baby crib I had when little. They pretty much cleaned it out of everything stored My dad allways trusted folks too much. Lesson learned

My card collection is top level because I started in 1983, and never stopped collecting during the junk wax and low value era of the 90's, pushed through with passion. Up until 2021 it was more or less just fun, but that's when the card values flew off the charts. Now, you can literally retire on some cards.

However, the Oilers and Titans.... Nope. Literally almost no value. CJ2K and Vince Young were our best chance at cashing in big, but both values, even the autographs, are less than $10 now. You can probably buy an apple fritter with 'em. There was a chance both would pay off big. They did not. I took a zero on both.

The days of buying in low and cashing high are practically over. For collectors who want to see value, you have to buy in high, watch 99% of them drop to a zero, and hope you got the one guy that becomes a legend. It's rough. So I don't dabble unless it looks like a sure thing. And I never buy packs. It is fun, glorius fun, but it's a very expensive hobby now if you want to see long term value.

Guys who have potential long term payouts in my opinion:
-Benes

His only problem is he plays in boring assed Pittsburgh and pitchers usually get hurt. But he's a phenom. And they don't come around but once every 10 years. Think he could be the one legend for the next era. Mahomey is football. Ohtani is baseball. And basketball is still looking for the next phenom to replace Lebron. Luka was close..but fell off.
Autocorrect
skenes
Pirates pitcher. He’ll be there a couple more years at least before AAA Pittsburgh sells him off to the highest bidder for nothing. Such is the pirates.

There are a few more players out there for sure but like you said, gotta spend big.

A buddy of mine is pursing the “rainbow” of a player. Basically all the variations of a specific year and card. Value is ridiculous for something like that, and it’s Fred Lynn he’s going after.
There exists a bunch of 1/1, which all have value and they use throwback players, still all the variations.
I have difficult times with blue vs blue ice vs blue prism, vs blue disco vs blue and red vs red white and blue. Could all be the same card with different borders but very close.
I think i see the average card has about 30 versions now.

And how, expensive. Saw boxes yesterday up over $1200 and a bunch ranging down to $100’s. A pack could be $25. Basically a $1/card before opening. And heck if I know between expensive prizm vs lesser expensive prizm.

That’s a shame losing your cards that way

After I was grown my parents bought a farm and rented out our house. I had a refridgerator box in the attic with football and baseball cards mostly from the sixties and a few football cards as well I had a ton of comic books in there as well

First thing I mentioned was I wanted my cards. My dad said he gave them instructions not to touch anything in the attic. Of course when they left without paying they made sure to steal all my hard obtained stuff along with the baby crib I had when little. They pretty much cleaned it out of everything stored My dad allways trusted folks too much. Lesson learned
That’s sucks too.

I can’t stand thieves.

I wonder what those cards we used as bike motors or played wallies with as a kid would be worth now 🤔

My top three cards in my remaining small collection is my Wayne Gretzky rookie card, graded - BVG 5.5. My Tom Seaver signed rookie card with a SoA I received at the signing and my Mookie Wilson, signed but no certificate for it.

I wonder what those cards we used as bike motors or played wallies with as a kid would be worth now 🤔

My top three cards in my remaining small collection is my Wayne Gretzky rookie card, graded - BVG 5.5. My Tom Seaver signed rookie card with a SoA I received at the signing and my Mookie Wilson, signed but no certificate for it.
If it matters, you can get COA for signatures without one and for as little as like 20-25.
But i don’t know how much a Mookie Wilson goes for. He’ll forever be the guy that hit the Buckner ball to me.

I also saw a guy at a card show that had a bunch of Tom Seaver/nolan Ryan stuff.
He had a facsimile made “the card that should have been” Seaver/Ryan rookie card.

Seaver’s 1967 split rookie card is really valuable.
Ryan’s 1968 split rookie card is super valuable.
If Ryan hadn’t had a minor injury to his shoulder in 67’, they would have been called up together and that card would easily be among the most valuable all time.

I have tons of cards... 99% modern... 99% unopened boxes

unopened boxes only way to retain value

But I did buy them with the plan to open them... just never got around to it

I would buy 3 boxes with intention of opening 2 and putting back 1 as an 'investment' for portfolio diversification.
an argument can be made that cards are art from an investment perspective. Nothing wrong with this BUT you should have
your other investments taken care of before diversifying into 'art' - like my opinion man

anyhow

99% Topps stuff.... main topps 3 part yearly of course, some of the gimicky opening day stuff cause start of season and fun to open the garbage
most of what I opened is OD crap. Bowman & I have Minor League & Pro Debut boxes - think these are considered Prospect cards these days NOT rookie cards

and I have tons of Jason Giambi cards because I won a Giambi bat from an auction from Kirby Puckett estate - LOL. apparently players swap bats with each other.... so Giambi has a Puckett bat ($s) and I have a Giambi LOL

have tons from 17 thru 22 and 23 main 3 part series ended it for me... space and costs. could not justify the crazy costs so just stopped.

will catalog it all at some point

those opened Opening Day cards are nothing but bulk... dont think a card in any of those sets worth anything - but sure is fun opening the packs and watching April MLB

and speaking of FUN cardboard....

what I call 'Art Cards'.... these things are cheap and by other card print run numbers they are 'rare'

talking about these things...

NOT printed in the millions and vast majority opened but stored by collectors.

the premium cards are like 500 cards printed - I think there is value here from an investment viewpoint

I enjoy them and only dabbled but there is crossover appeal from book readers and the sets are amazing looking in
a binder. Frazetta had 2 series and Vallejo had 4 - that I am aware of

there are other Art Card series... but only Frazetta & Vallejo appeal to me
View attachment 301View attachment 300

Tons of Warren moon for me as well.
Most of the cards I had when I was kid are also pretty limited on the values. I just didn’t take care of them or really know how.

I have gotten a lot as an adult though.
1990 fleer. One of my earliest packs and one of my favorite looking sets.
I have a Warren moon autographed card and a Elway one, lots of other random autographed cards my dad used to photograph for sports illustrated so he got them signed over the years. I’ve never bothered with trying to get them appraised or authenticated though. They’re probably worthless but it’s neat to have the autographs and know they weren’t purchased that way

I have a Warren moon autographed card and a Elway one, lots of other random autographed cards my dad used to photograph for sports illustrated so he got them signed over the years. I’ve never bothered with trying to get them appraised or authenticated though. They’re probably worthless but it’s neat to have the autographs and know they weren’t purchased that way
Guarantee those are not worthless, especially Elway.

Check your local card shop. Ask if they are associated with PSA.
Often, you can turn a card in to them, they send it off to get graded for a cost. Mine has an additional option to add another few bucks to authentic a signature.
Example of mine $19 card. Add $6 for a signature verification.

If there is a PSA association, I’ve seen more for cards individually, but if they say more than $25/ card (not with auto verification), shop around, possibly look to send in on your own.

If you don’t want to go through any work or just don’t have a shop, let me know what you got. I don’t know a whole lot, but for moon and Elway, I’d try to make a fair deal.

Have untold thousands. Every baseball set from 83-92’. Mostly worthless except for my Nolan Ryan collection. Few traded sets and opening day sets worth a little. Most valuable set is most likely Score. They been sitting in my parent’s closet (whole thing) for better than 30 years. I would buy them by the vending case….lol

Have untold thousands. Every baseball set from 83-92’. Mostly worthless except for my Nolan Ryan collection. Few traded sets and opening day sets worth a little. Most valuable set is most likely Score.
Unfortunately, you’d get more value breaking up the set for the individual rookies/key players worth something.
I also have a handful and have thought about it But haven’t made the move yet. If I remove the value cards, the rest is certainly
Worthless afterwards.

Latest posts

Back