Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Well, as the off season continues, the Titans, like most every other team in the NFL, have to be thinking about HOW to beat the Superbowl Champs. Not just because they won the Superbowl, but because they did it in such a dominant, dramatic way, coming from behind in nearly every game to win decisively.

Some teams want to beat them with pass rush. Mahomes completed around 80% of his passes when not under pressure, compared to around 40% when pressured (best in the league still). But if that 49ers front last year couldn't stop him, it's unclear what it would take to win solely with this strategy.

Some teams are loading up on offensive talent to try to beat them in a track race (Oakland, Denver). After losing Kendall Fuller in the offseason, and now losing Breeland for probably at least half the season, the Chiefs are decimated at CB. Mathiu is good, but he can't cover the entire backfield. This is a viable option IMO.

There is also the "run the ball, control the clock and keep the offense on the sideline" mentality the Titans tried to use last year. Unfortunately that only works to an extent as demonstrated by the Chiefs insane ability to put up huge numbers of points in very short pieces of time.

Looking at these possible tactics, I thought it would be fun to start a conversation about how we're prepared for each of them at this point. Have we increased our ability to get pressure? Could we better attack a depleted Chiefs secondary? Do we still have the power to control the clock?

We added Isaiah Wilson in an effort to neutralize their best defender Chris Jones, so thats one way we got better.

We added 2 CBs faster than what we had last yr.

We added a productive edge player with Beasley, and Landry should naturally be better year 3.

Plus the O as a whole will be back for another year.

We did take steps towards beating them.

Don’t have a defensive collapse and let QBs scramble 57 yards without getting knocked into tomorrow would be a good start. Also, don’t call a running play on 3 and 9 when your limited passing opportunities have actually moved the ball. And lastly, don’t have a fading slot corner have deep coverage responsibilities and get toasted. But other than that can’t think of a thing.

We added Isaiah Wilson in an effort to neutralize their best defender Chris Jones, so thats one way we got better.

We added a productive edge player with Beasley, and Landry should naturally be better year 3.

Plus a speedy RB who can catch.

To your first point, Jones typically lines up inside and abused Nate Davis last year. Are you predicting Wilson moves to guard?

Fulton is definitely an upgrade over Ryan in the speed department. Agreed.

The addition of Beasely is offset by the loss of Casey. I personally don't see much of an upgrade at pass rush yet. That being said, Simmons and Landry have the potential to show out this year. But that's more hopeful than prepared.

Do you think adding another WR weapon to stack up against their poor defensive backfield could be worth looking at?

To your first point, Jones typically lines up inside and abused Nate Davis last year. Are you predicting Wilson moves to guard?

Fulton is definitely an upgrade over Ryan in the speed department. Agreed.

The addition of Beasely is offset by the loss of Casey. I personally don't see much of an upgrade at pass rush yet. That being said, Simmons and Landry have the potential to show out this year. But that's more hopeful than prepared.

Do you think adding another WR weapon to stack up against their poor defensive backfield could be worth looking at?
I think Evans May help there too.

Our defense was a sleep throughout the whole game. If we had a better pass rush and secondary than this game would of been closer than most people think.

So Hill, Watkins, Hardman and Robinson are all back. Can anyone take a look at how we lined up against them in the SB and give a reasonable assessment of how we will line up against them going forward?

If Fulton "starts" in the slot and the Chiefs have Hill in the slot, do you trust a Rookie against arguably the most explosive WR in the league?

Here's how to beat the Chiefs:

After halftime, when your league-leading running game has you up in points and time of possession, don't change plans and decide to unleash a lame ass QB and put the game on his arm. That's all it takes. Don't make an unbelievably moronic move and go to a mediocre QB for no reason whatsoever after your run game is working (two RBs averaging 5 yards per carry) and you're winning.

We might sum it up with: Don't be a fucking moron, and you would have beat the Chiefs, SF.

Here's how to beat the Chiefs:

After halftime, when your league-leading running game has you up in points and time of possession, don't change plans and decide to unleash a lame ass QB and put the game on his arm. That's all it takes. Don't make an unbelievably moronic move and go to a mediocre QB for no reason whatsoever after your run game is working (two RBs averaging 5 yards per carry) and you're winning.

We might sum it up with: Don't be a ****ing moron, and you would have beat the Chiefs, SF.
Not so sure you watched the game or at least completely remember the game.
The D is what cost the Titans, starting with the terrible tackling effort on Mahomes TD run before the half.
Second, Vrabel did try to run in the brief moments they had the ball in the third, it was a 3 n out and again, the D allowed the KC offense to run off the entirety of the third qtr and part of the 4th. By that time the lead was no longer the Titans.

The D is what cost the Titans, starting with the terrible tackling effort on Mahomes TD run before the half.
Second, Vrabel did try to run in the brief moments they had the ball in the third, it was a 3 n out and again, the D allowed the KC offense to run off the entirety of the third qtr and part of the 4th. By that time the lead was no longer the Titans.

Pretty sure he was talking about SF in the Super Bowl...as SF was the last thing in his post.

To beat the Chiefs you have to play your best game. You also can't play scared. The Titans played the first half masterfully, right up until Mahomes took off for that massive scramble to end the first half. That put us completely on our heels and we played not to lose from that point on.

We improved or stayed about the same as we did last year in most positions. If we're going to beat them, it's going to be from the team having another year together to grow and get better as a unit.

They have so much talent at several key positions, and Mahomes with Reid is just a game breaker. You're not going to ever just dominate them and there's not just one strategy that will take them down. You have to limit their opportunities by controlling the ball on offense, play good sound defense to get any stops you can, and pray for a little luck.

Pretty sure he was talking about SF in the Super Bowl...as SF was the last thing in his post.
I may have misunderstood that as in our game and would have beat KC and SF.

he also stated “league leading running game”. That’s actually Baltimore followed by SF and Ten
I guess it was ambiguous enough to apply to both games (AFCCG and SB)

I refer to the Superbowl.

I may have misunderstood that as in our game and would have beat KC and SF.

he also stated “league leading running game”. That’s actually Baltimore followed by SF and Ten
I guess it was ambiguous enough to apply to both games (AFCCG and SB)
I'm not an Espn analyst, but I can see why SF lost.

They did win the AFCCG but titans won the previous 4 matchups including 1 earlier in the year.

titans can beat the Chiefs. Don’t care what happened in the AFCCG, the Titans are every bit as good as the Chiefs head to head and can compete even with Mahomes and fast WR.

Kansas City Chiefs vs. Tennessee Titans Results | The Football Database

Some cartel guy summed it up best when I was at the calliente for the AFCCG.

~The Titans look like a team that is playing it's 4th straight road game , and 3rd straight against the best team in the entire league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back