Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
anonymous poll:

Can you see the Titans doing ok without McNair for this year? (or ever again)

What about that $50 million?
Where is the start Volek constituency?
Can a real winner be built better that way?
draft/FA $$$ ...

Would Steve ask to be released? What would that take?
Is it really "only money"?

VolnTitan said:
What about the $50 Million?
I don't know... whatever it really works out too after the monopoly game is over. If he asked to be released and signs a deal somewhere, we don't hve to pay for him the next two years. Frees us up a bit because the money is off our books, right? Say there is a qb drafted and the decide that Billy is a big enough boy to mind the store for a year... there's tons of possibilities... We could get mad talent on both sides of the ball. I dunno. As good as MAC is he comes at a price. His cap # is actually bigger than Peyton Manning's. That's pretty common knowledge and at best a stupid factoid but sometimes I find myself daydreaming about a day when I don't wonder if Steve is going to be able to practice. I'm disenchanted and whatever SK's monopoly math puzzle that says that good players cost five apples a piece but Steve McNair will cost you seventeen apples and an orange, well, it just seems that we could do okay with a qb that we try to pass off as a starter in this league (float offers quietly)... meanwhile ... Which can you live without...McNair or his cap # ? It's definately not a simple question to me.

I do think we could succeed without McNair. Defense has been our biggest killer the past couple of years, a good defense and a ball control offense and we could be alright.

I wouldn't have a problem with letting McNair go. Now I'm not saying that's what I want, but if it happens I'd be ok with it.

Pretty surprised that the poll is tied at 5, 5, and 5 now. I could see us letting him go after the draft, I'd rather take the short hit this year and be completely free next year. I love steve, but I don't know if he's worth spreading out this hit over the next two or three years. I'd like to see him mentor our young QB from the draft, but that's a lot to invest in a mentor. I have no clue what's going to happen with our QB situation, but I'm getting excited with the other developments on our team and can't wait to see how the rest of the offseason plays out...

VolnTitan said:
There isn't a $50 Million issue. That was taken care of couple of weeks ago.
I know that bonus was converted or whatever. I'm not trying to be real fine about the money, I'm just saying that Steve McNair eats up ALOT of cap space... My question is more or less whether the Titans can be better off without the money pit. Think about it this way... What is McNair's cap number over the next two years or whatever? I think they can structure the hit to be now or later or spread...but think about the whole cap...all 100+ million... in terms of a percentage, what is #9 eating up there? However you structure it it's a whole bunch... alot more proportionatly than most qb's in the league. Maybe I should learn more about the cap so I can talk about it competently, which obviously I can't... but the apples metaphor works real well to simplify it for me.

Good FA's cost between 5-8 apples... it takes 17 apples and an orange to suit up McNair... plus, he doesn't practice much... that's been going on for a while... bottom line... people say Ben Rothlisburger had so much success as a rookie because they put a team around him... a cast he could succeed with... With a Matt Leinart type who's to say it's impossible to win 15 games with a rookie qb? The Steelers have SB rings because they were not afraid to rip the band-aid off. Queerdell was shuffled out and when Maddox could'nt cut the mustard they showed him how to hold a clip board. Rewind two years... dear God that was a long time ago... even then... remember Billy's start in Buffalo? Week in and week out...is Steve ready to go?

McNair dressed despite being on crutches until midweek with a cracked bone spur in his left ankle.

I'm not trying to get up on the soap box and proclaim Volek to be the great white hope of the Tennessee Titans... but with the right personnel, maybe we could be the Pittsburg Steelers over the next two years...given that the right man is taken in the draft. I'm in no way suggesting that the Titans draft and start Vince Young.

The $50 Million was an option that the Titans chose not to excercise. It is no more. It has ceased to exsist. It is a non-bonus.

VolnTitan said:
The $50 Million was an option that the Titans chose not to excercise. It is no more. It has ceased to exsist. It is a non-bonus.
Could you just forget about my slip about the 50 million thing?

McNair now has reasonable-for-a-superstar cap numbers of $5.7 million and $12.6 million in 2004 and 2005 after his contract restructuring. Then the cap numbers get silly from 2006 through 2009: in order, $26.8 million, $24.8 million, $26.8 million, $28.8 million.

So, you are okay with McNair 26.8 million going against our cap?
I take it you view this as a winning stategy?

I think that is too much for too long, plus McNair hasn't played like he once did. If you want to stick with McNair come hell or high water, that's fine by me... Please don't confuse the issue with some defunct bonus that I never really meant to reference. What I'm saying is that the Titans are devoting too much of their CAP allotment at QB... an ageing, at times ineffective one at that... That's what I'm trying to get at...

Re

I voted to keep McNair. I think he has a good 2 years left in him, but I expect that next season may be his last as a Titan. I know you don't won't to go back to the money issue, but a large portion of the $26.8 million (I actually thought it was closer to $24 or $25) is not tied to this season. It is money that was prorated over the life of his contract, so even if he is released, we would still have to pay that chunk. Just a tidbit. Overall, I would like to see us keep McNair for another year or two and let our new drafted qb (please let us draft a qb) work and learn from him.

let McNair go, let Volek start this yr, let us draft the QB of the future (praying it isn't Young) to sit, watch and learn this yr

I voted to keep McNair. I think he has a good 2 years left in him,
What do we call the last two years then?:suspect:

but I expect that next season may be his last as a Titan.
you can bank that.
I know you don't won't to go back to the money issue,
I'd love to go back to the relevent money issues. I'd like to wrap my mind around that. In a scenario when you have a Billy Volek starting with a Matt Leinart backing him up... In your pocket you actually got a 4th round pick in a McNair trade... Let's just say Baltimore got McNair. How many FA's can you add over two years? What if McNair just sucks next year? How would that feel?
but a large portion of the $26.8 million (I actually thought it was closer to $24 or $25) is not tied to this season. It is money that was prorated over the life of his contract, so even if he is released, we would still have to pay that chunk. Just a tidbit.
It's 10+ million right now. I think that is if he is cut. If he was dealt somehow we'd never have to pay him any of that and the sky would be the limit. That would be amazing. This organization is run by a bunch of liars. They don't have an ounch of faith in Billy Volek. Richard Simmons will work in the BSP training room before Billy Volek is even an interim-starter. I don't think anyone even thinks about talking to McNair. McNairs contract is bigger than Peyton Mannings ego.
Overall, I would like to see us keep McNair for another year or two and let our new drafted qb (please let us draft a qb) work and learn from him.
me too. :))
Bipolar quoting said:
Vigsted said:
I wouldn't have a problem with letting McNair go. Now I'm not saying that's what I want, but if it happens I'd be ok with it.

Ewker said:
let McNair go, let Volek start this yr, let us draft the QB of the future (praying it isn't Young) to sit, watch and learn this yr
What do you have against Young? And what kind of mentor would Volek be? That would be a mistake.

titanjay said:
What do you have against Young? And what kind of mentor would Volek be? That would be a mistake.

I think Young is overrated, he is a runner and we have seen with McNair what happens when your QB runs the ball. If his test score is as bad as they say can he grasp Chow's offense, maybe he can maybe he can't. I would take either Leinart or Cutler over Young.

What kind of mentor would McNair be? Has Mcnair mentored Volek? I don't know, do you?
What got me about McNair is that he talked about no connections with the WR's but yet he missed most practices..how is that mentoring when you try to shift the blame to them.

It sounds like SEC's really soured on the whole McNair issue? I've been upset about him not practicing for a long time now, he hurts the team more than he helps it, especially since the recievers were so young, they really needed him and he let them down.

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
I think that is too much for too long, plus McNair hasn't played like he once did. If you want to stick with McNair come hell or high water, that's fine by me... QUOTE]

Be honest SEC,
McNair has a really good reason for not playing like he use to. He lost have Eddie, Mason, Wycheck. He did not have a #1 WR and a reliable running back. He WR core consisted of a #2 receiver playing at #1 (Bennett), a another #2 receiver who has played limited snaps in the NFL (Calico) and a bunch of rookies who obviously did not know half the plays.

Yeah he was hurt a lot but then again he took a lot of hits. Which draws another comparison to Volek who wasn't exactly the posterboy for durability. He did have surgery the past two seasons (shoulder and spleen), I believe.

MsTitan said:
SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
I think that is too much for too long, plus McNair hasn't played like he once did. If you want to stick with McNair come hell or high water, that's fine by me... QUOTE]

Be honest SEC,
McNair has a really good reason for not playing like he use to. He lost have Eddie, Mason, Wycheck. He did not have a #1 WR and a reliable running back. He WR core consisted of a #2 receiver playing at #1 (Bennett), a another #2 receiver who has played limited snaps in the NFL (Calico) and a bunch of rookies who obviously did not know half the plays.

Yeah he was hurt a lot but then again he took a lot of hits. Which draws another comparison to Volek who wasn't exactly the posterboy for durability. He did have surgery the past two seasons (shoulder and spleen), I believe.

MsTitan, you can take off those rose colored glasses now.

McNair was supposedly in better shape than he had been in a few yrs. He knew during camp he was going to have to throw the ball to the rookies WR's during the season. He got so bad he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with the ball. It was either high, low, behind or way in front of the WR. Yes the rookies were learning but they were catching balls from Volek in practice not McNair. No chemistry was made between them.

You can't blame Mcnair's problems on former players who are no longer here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back