Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you write/move/save files on a disk, the computer takes the first available amount of hard drive space for the file. Fragmentation happens when parts of one file get written to different parts of the disk. This occurs especially when you have large files that are being moved around (audio, video, etc.), but will happen eventually as your disk ages.
Disk defragmentation basically "reorganizes" the files so that they are in better order and can be searched, opened and edited faster. It never hurts to defrag, even if the disk doesn't say it needs it.

What do you mean by "lost some RAM"?

Defragging doesn't help as much as it used to now that hard drives are faster than they once were. I'm sure it helps a bit, but probably not that much.

As for the RAM, it's possible that the memory chip went bad. Not sure of any other explaination...

well apparently this CPU has 256MB of RAM, the system says its 192.

So i am guessing the chip is eff you see kayed.

I gotta get a new one anyway.

not sure, on the CPU it has all the specifications saying 256 but i checked it out on the system settings not too long ago and it said 192. But I am not sure what it said when i first got it.

Gunny said:
what is the point of disk defragmentation?

look at the drive for a moment
Imagine it is a CD
add 20 different songs (files / programs)
over time, you delete songs 7 / 15 / and 19

now you have large gaps of information unavailable for use - fragmentation

defragmentating rearranges the overall drive information back into a uniform order - without the gaps - defragmentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back