Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: Titans GM Floyd Reese and agent Bus Cook, agent for Steve McNair, spoke again yesterday and may be closer to a contract agreement. "We are getting to the point where we are trying to put numbers in slots and see what it looks like," Reese said. "We'll start throwing around numbers now." Contracts for a number of other Titans hinge on McNair's deal, which for now includes a $50 million option. "He has a gigantic (salary cap) number, and the sooner you can get that number cleared away you have a much better sense of the dollars and cents you are going to have," Reese said. "He wants to be here and we want him. So you would like to think you could get it done."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

I told Bus to play hard ball. Right now, Steve is sitting on a 50 mil:greedy: bubble. The little Mauck project down in Miami basically helped Steve out. They need him. He shouldn't take less than 15 mil and some extras for coaching up Young Tex.

A quarterback like Steve would flourish in a place with offensive weapons. He has never really had any quality receivers with the exception of Derrick Mason.

He might flourish somewhere else, but he sure as hell isn't leaving at this stage in his career/life. He'd finish his career with a much better reputation if he didn't play hardball in order to help his team. Steve sure as hell doesn't need the money... I might give him 15 million over 2 years, small extras, but that's pushing it.

From reading news on the web the last month or so one would think that McNair feels as if he can pack it up and take his roadshow to another team like the Jets or Dolphins. I have such a hard time buying into that. Not that he could but that he would. I just can't imagine that Steve would do that. I really don't think McNair is all that concerned about the money. I'd like to see McNair take a NOD type role for years to come. That may be just a good as way as any to get that elusive SB ring.

Has anyone ever seen Flutie in action for NE?
That's how I'd like to see McNair live on.

They love Flutie in NE with Boston College and all that.

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
From reading news on the web the last month or so one would think that McNair feels as if he can pack it up and take his roadshow to another team like the Jets or Dolphins. I have such a hard time buying into that. Not that he could but that he would. I just can't imagine that Steve would do that. I really don't think McNair is all that concerned about the money. I'd like to see McNair take a NOD type role for years to come. That may be just a good as way as any to get that elusive SB ring.

Has anyone ever seen Flutie in action for NE?
That's how I'd like to see McNair live on.

They love Flutie in NE with Boston College and all that.

FLUTIE!? I could beat up Flutie and I'm a little ol' Elf!:chuck:

elfinmagic53 said:
FLUTIE!? I could beat up Flutie and I'm a little ol' Elf!:chuck:
Have you even seen Flutie take a snap for NE?
I think he's going to hang it up but the point is he is still a capable vet backup. All I'm saying is that I'd like to see McNair hang around another four or five years...starter or not.

Steve knows Eddie eff'd up by not taking less and retiring a Titan. Eddie lost alot of intanglible income by leaving his fan base.

If Steve stays for less, he would have Nashville support in business spin-offs (restaurants, sporting goods, camps, ?local color analyst, local endorsements, etc) for years after he could play no more. I believe Bus Cook is a more genuine agent than "Big Dummy" LaMont and will advise Steve to take the cut because it will pay more in long term intangibles to retire a Titan.

What would he have if he went somewhere else?

Has anyone in the Nashville area heard anything about McNair's agent saying that he will NOT accept any pay cut to stay with the team?

Why would he not want to stay in Nashville? He has been on the same franchise since 1995 and knows the system well. If he went to another team he would have to learn another system and take the risk of not being a favorite of the fans if he doesn't do good. I don't live in Nashville but it seems to me that McNair has already won the fans over so if he has a bad year, the fans don't hate him. It seems to me that he would be better off staying in Nashville where his fans and coaches that he has been with his entire career since the franchise came to Tennessee.

TitanFan62702 said:
Has anyone in the Nashville area heard anything about McNair's agent saying that he will NOT accept any pay cut to stay with the team?
Yes, this is apparently true. I heard part of the Sports Brunch on the radio today, and they had News 2's Sarah Walsh (who is covering the Senior Bowl) on. She said that Bus Cook told her that McNair wouldn't take a paycut.

As for exactly what that means, I'm not sure. Presumably it just means they won't back off the $9M base salary. But maybe it means they ALSO expect to get the huge bonus.

I think that the base salary is at least reasonable. But he had better not expect any big bonus if he wants the $9M. Plus, you also have to remember that he's just negotiating through the media, and just because he says it doesn't mean he'll get it.

Starkiller said:
Plus, you also have to remember that he's just negotiating through the media, and just because he says it doesn't mean he'll get it.

I hate when they do that !
that's how Eddie lost his rep - and that was over less than 2 million

this involves $9 + million. this could get ugly :irked:

Starkiller said:
Plus, you also have to remember that he's just negotiating through the media, and just because he says it doesn't mean he'll get it.
There ya go. I don't think Reese and Bus had even exchanged dollar amounts yet.

I expect both sides to do a little media ping-pong the next few weeks.

Let 'em go if this is the way he wants it to be. This means he's not caring about the team's well being anymore, and he is at the end of his career. We need the money anyway. Keep Billy V, and then draft Vince Young.

If the Titans intend to draft a QB, he'll be ready to step in by '07. Why then would the Titans pay McNair big money to basically remain the starter for only one more season?

In that case, they'll want McNair to start for 1 more year and mentor the kid. Volek can't mentor.

And, if worse comes to worse, they can take the $1M choice in McNair's option bonus and let his contract expire after this year. But that's not going to happen. They'll come to an agreement on a multi-year deal within the next 37 days.

Right now it's a lot of posturing.. but what would a free agent QB cost.. let's say Kerry Collins, or Mark Brunell last year.. 3-4 million .. so if Steve thinks he is worth 9 million plus a bonus...I don't think so!! he may be leaving to get a ring with Miami, unless of course the Texans are trading Carr to Miami and taking VY...

McClain today on the Zone sure sounded like we would see Bush drop to us...now whether we trade down or not he didn't say...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back