Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple months ago the FDA approved a new treatment for certain types of cancer. A little background on it:

Essentially you hand some of your white blood cells over to a drug company which engineers them to kill certain cancers, and then they're put back into you.

View attachment 12470

The whole thing costs the hospital (or at least the few currently equipped and authorized to provide this service) a lot more than just the $373K sticker price to buy the cell engineering itself, there are potentially hundreds of thousands of additional dollars in costs for hospitals added on to that, not only in preparing for and administering the treatment once they send/get back from the drug company the cells but also in dealing with the toxicity to the patient of the process.

It's a (morbidly) interesting ethical dilemma. The people in line for this treatment are at the end of their rope, but no hospital can afford to give away a half million dollars or more of care per case without knowing if anyone is going to reimburse them for it.
Good thread for a change. I don’t think there should be a dilemma at all. If a hospital has the chance to save a life they should be obligated by law to do it. There should be no price tag attached to a human life. I know reality is different, but that is just my opinion.

Good thread for a change. I don’t think there should be a dilemma at all. If a hospital has the chance to save a life they should be obligated by law to do it. There should be no price tag attached to a human life. I know reality is different, but that is just my opinion.
Someone has to pay, so who should it be?

Someone has to pay, so who should it be?
Government can step in. Let me ask you this: if an American citizen is captured in let’s say Afghanistan we try everything to get him/her out to save their life. This includes using our military, which results in costs greater than $500K. Ultimately it is to save a live. Why can’t we then spend $500k for treatment of a dying citizen at home? Might be comparing apples to oranges, but the final bill would be the same.

Government can step in. Let me ask you this: if an American citizen is captured in let’s say Afghanistan we try everything to get him/her out to save their life. This includes using our military, which results in costs greater than $500K. Ultimately it is to save a live. Why can’t we then spend $500k for treatment of a dying citizen at home? Might be comparing apples to oranges, but the final bill would be the same.
Because there has to be a limit to the amount of 500ks we spend and someone has to decide what that limit is and so on...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back