Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Over on finheaven.com, I've been a big proponent of going after Billy Volek. I noticed you guys passed him over and gave Mauck a start late last year, yes? What was that about?

Personally, all the talk about us breaking the bank for Brees or Culpepper is rather underwhelming. We have cap troubles, and I feel Volek is a solid player with a career 2:1 TD:Int ratio.

Can you tell me, was Volek ever on the trading block for you guys? What is your opinion of him, and what would you be happy with in return for, say, a draft pick(s)?

JMHO

Volek is capable of starting in NFL, has proven it a number of times when McNair went down. Voleks main problem is the Titan OL combined with Voleks apparent injury proneness.

The Mauck start was what it was. Titans know what Volek brings and wanted to give Mauck some snaps to see him in a real game. It was not a reflection on Volek at all, but I am sure his feelings were questionable for 3-4 weeks.

I want to trade Volek, I think his stay in Tennessee is overdue, and we'll be getting a top quality QB (young), out of the draft so we don't need him.

I think the Titans would like a 3rd rounder for him seeming as we don't have one anyways, snd i'd certainely agree with that.

As for Mauck starting, early in the season, he showed promise, having a brilliant drive that nearly got us in the endzone so I think the coaching staff wanted to see what he could do as a starter
Get Volek OUTTA HERE

IMO Volek is better than Kitna and better than any Miami QBs during the past seasons. Volek would definately make an impact in Miami.

I think the only holdup with the Titans trying to move Billy (who certainly wants to be moved, so he can have an opportunity to start) is waiting to see where we stand closer to the draft, or after it. A third for Billy would be about right, but in the past, they could have moved him for at least a 2nd, maybe first (Jets) if both of us could have worked out our cap woes. With Culpepper and Brees out there, a third is certainly fair for Billy. He has a lot of great potential. We've seen him tear it up -- but he clearly needs protection. He's not used to getting beat around so much, and it shows. But he has a terrific arm, and can definitely be a starter in the league. I'm very excited to see him get to start somewhere eventually. He actually deserves it.

PressCoverage said:
Good stuff, thanks.

And yes, I'm quite positive he's far better than anyone we've had the past 6 years.

He may throw the best deep ball in the NFL. If you're a Dolphin fan, you'd love to see soeone finally get Chambers the ball down the field. Volek is a guy that could do that.

Just a thought, but BV's trade value will be largely dependent on Culpepper's trade. If DC goes for a 3rd (which MAY happen), I don't think we'll squeeze a 3rd out of BV...

They are 2 completely different scenarios. Volek is a cheap backup with starter potential. Culpepper is a very expensive starter coming off a major knee injury (and bad season) who the team has to trade because the only other alternative is apparently to cut him before his roster bonus is due.

Think about this....
In his first 9 starts Volek racked up approximately 2,800 yards and 20 touchdowns. Do the math on that one and it translates loosely into 5,000 yards and 38 touchdowns over a 16 game schedule. That put his qb rating higher than any other qb in the history of the nfl for his first 9 starts. Higher than Montana, Elway, and everyone, ever. EVER.

He's already thrown for 400+ twice. One game 492 yards. That is pretty sick for someone who barely started. Mind you, he did this with his number one target being a former qb.

So make of it what you will, but the stats are all there. Whoever gets him is looking good.

during the stretch that Billy started for us he had achieved some pretty dramatic stats

no QB in the history of the league had thrown for as many yards or TD's in as quick of a timeframe in their first several starts

but that means nothing now. we would have gotten better compensation for him had we traded him then

Banshee2 said:
That's a good point...I guess the so-called "divorce factor" will drive the asking price down

i think someone will wait til Pepp's flatout cut

Duante might be the steal of the FA Class after its all said and done

Volek tends to hold on to the ball too long (and is why he's able to throw the deep passes well,) but if the routes aren't developed, he is likely to get sacked because he is NOT a scrambler like McNair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back