Not open for further replies.

Mike

Administrator
Staff member
BLUE CREW
LEGEND
Moola
DONNIE NICKEY
I just noticed the direct convo table of the database was much larger then it should be this early in the site. I found the cause, a group chat of 6 people with over 250 messages. Please use the Bar and Taboo. There is no reason for 250 messages in a DM when we have forums to interact in and build a community together.

We had 1k pages worth of convo on GT lol

we talk about life and whatnot, not really off topic stuff for everyone to read my guy

we don't post vids or many pics so why's it taking up so much space?

We had 1k pages worth of convo on GT lol

we talk about life and whatnot, not really off topic stuff for everyone to read my guy

we don't post vids or many pics so why's it taking up so much space?

I don't know, but it's already taken up 305 MB in the database. I'm running this site for you guys for you to still have a message board for your team.

I don't know, but it's already taken up 305 MB in the database. I'm running this site for you guys for you to still have a message board for your team.
i'm not trying to sound ungrateful, my point is just.. if we posted the same stuff on a public board instead of DM, it would take up the same amount of space.. no?

what we could do is limit it to 10 pages, delete it, start a new one

would that be ok?

i'm not trying to sound ungrateful, my point is just.. if we posted the same stuff on a public board instead of DM, it would take up the same amount of space.. no?

No, it takes up more as it tables via BLOB to reach user in the convo, where a new post doesn't. The main point though is we are trying to build a online community here, not a private message service. Taboo is locked down from search index bots and scraping, so anything posted in Taboo will never surface on a search engine.

would take up the same amount of space.. no?
There is a post in Taboo with 180 replies, largest thread on the site so far, it's not even an eighth of the size of the group message you have. I use a very small SSD drives in RAID for fast read and writes. If I was using an old style SATA drive, it wouldn't be an issue on making sure database sizing isn't wasted.

and we dug back thru them years later for something... cant recall ... but it did happen
one was i had various posts about ideas i had, i wanted to find them bc i couldn't remember what they were, but i gave up pretty real quick

another was i had done some research on a house and a few months later i needed the address again, i was actually able to find that one though

hammer may have wanted to archive some before the site move though, i vaguely remember something along those lines

Had it just been a few messages, it wouldn't been a big deal, but in less then a month it is already almost double in reply count to the most popular thread here.
Can we do what I mentioned and delete after 10 pages, and start new?

Edit-- apparently can't delete, only leave.. is there an option to enable deleting DMs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back