Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
to where?

San Fran should take him at 6.

Theoretically he could be taken by all top 6 teams, but i dont think one of those will take him with the chance of getting a good LB in the second.

That has to be totally false. He ran a 4.6 at the combine, and now a 4.4 at the pro day? I'm sorry but you don't get faster by 2 tenths of a second faster after what? 2 weeks?

NFL timings are wrong as is (most NFL stars would by olympic gold medallists) but to lose .2 and nothing said?

in a perfect world we would take hawk. im tired of our defense sucking every year! and who knows we can land a nice qb 2nd round.. omar jacobs?? what happened to his hype?

thnom said:
That has to be totally false. He ran a 4.6 at the combine, and now a 4.4 at the pro day? I'm sorry but you don't get faster by 2 tenths of a second faster after what? 2 weeks?

NFL timings are wrong as is (most NFL stars would by olympic gold medallists) but to lose .2 and nothing said?

I think Troy Flemming ran a 4.6 at the combine and then a 4.47 at the UT PD. Lots of these places have "fast tracks" for their players to run on. It is impressive that he's running similar times to DB's and WR's, but it's also not an exact science anyway with a stopwatch.

They didn't list his weight, and it's possable he's lost some and running a little faster.

thnom said:

I'm not surprised. The timing on these drills consist of a guy holding a stopwatch, there's no automatic electronic clock for the most part (I can't rule out that some places use them, but I have my doubts). For a guy holding a stopclock to be a little slow on the start and a little fast on the finish easily makes up .2 of a second. The link below is a really good read on why you shouldn't put too much stock in the 40 times.

http://www.olympic-usa.org/11611_32384.htm

If the 40 was that important to these NFL teams, you'd think they would go to great efforts to standardize it. They'd make all run on the same turf. It would be electronically timed.

I think one of the problems with electronic timing is that the players run in their own time (ie. no starter gun) and they don't use startersblocks to measure pressure (another way of starting timing), so you need some other system.

Vigsted said:
I think one of the problems with electronic timing is that the players run in their own time (ie. no starter gun) and they don't use startersblocks to measure pressure (another way of starting timing), so you need some other system.

That's what electronic timing is.

Titans2008 said:
That's what electronic timing is.

Huh? I don't get what you're trying to say. Electronic timing is just an automatic system that clocks the time. However to time the 40 yard dash in the NFL you need a system that can accurately trigger on the players movement, and I'm not sure how you would do that, other than measuring pressure.

Yes but they also have that little "stick" at the gate that starts the clock when they hit it, you can't really use that for the 40 time. Well you could, but it would mean a change from how it's currently timed, since it means a player can move significantly before the actual timer starts.

Another alternative is putting a chip in the shirt of the players and then record when they pass the start and finish, but again this means the timer wont start until they cross the starting line, no matter how much they move prior to that.

Edit:
Actually thinking of the skiers, they in effect have a startergun, meaning the clock isn't dependant on the skiers start, bu the skiers start is dependent on the clock.

Hey, these guys are supposed to be athletes. If their reflexes aren't good enough to get off the a quick start, that should count against them...

Blow a whistle. Run. How friggin' hard is that?

You might not want to fire a gun with guys like Vick and SloMo around. They may return fire.

I think the NFL don't wanna go electronic because it proves that the system is false, and teams know a "fast" time and a "slow time" (4.2 being top for instance). If they started doing it olmypic timing you'd have safeties running 5.x's and them go undrafted when the top speed was like 4.8.

The NFL makes no sense. Why it is dependant on the player running when players have to go by "The gun" in real-life anyway. When the ball is snapped. Maybe they could have a guy along the same line snapping the ball and thats when they have to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back