Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
GoT said:
while I agree with the comment about Carter being missed in the locker room I disagree about his character. He spent his last season as a Titan publically stating that he wanted to retire a Titan - he was one of the first FA sigings in the NFL and took the Fish offer without considering his intentions to retire a Titan at all. Basically I felt he lied to me as a fan for the entire season by giving the impression that he would take less to remain a Titan when in fact he was only looking for the biggest $$$ pile and nothing more.

You know, folks kill me with the whole, "players are out to make the biggest pile of $$$". The NFL is a cut throat business and you have to get your money as often and as much as possible because at the end of your career, you get less than the crumbs.

The big money contracts are hollow and a smoke screen. Look at the number of times Steve McNair has had to restructure his deal, nearly every year since he was signed. In the end, he'll be lucky to get half the value of his original signing deal.

Yeah, yeah, people sputter, but they make an obscene amount of money. Well, that's the nature of the profession. If you work in a hospital the jobs go from nurse tech to physician. At the bottom of the pay scale are the nurse techs and Dr.'s are at the top. Everyone on that pay scale chain wants their fair market value based on the going rate and where they fit in on the scale.

If you've been working at a hospital for several years and you really love the people you work with, you may say you want to retire from that hospital. However, across town there's a hospital who got a huge grant and are able to offer much higher salaries. You get a nice offer from the new hospital to make more money. It doesn't make you a bad person to accept the offer where you make more money. Same goes for football players. They are simply out to make the most in regards to the fair market value.

elfinmagic53 said:
It doesn't make you a bad person to accept the offer where you make more money. Same goes for football players. They are simply out to make the most in regards to the fair market value.
I agree. If Kevin Carter is a bad person, then what we had on the team last year were not even humans.

Reese did not even offer KC a contract last yr. so KC couldn't have been a Titan. It wasn't even an option. That is what made me mad about what happened last yr. Floyd could have saved more cap room by renegotiating Carter than by cutting him. Reese had his plan and that is why he didn't even offer any sort of restructures to Carter/Mason/Rolle. Hate on Reese not KC.

I would love to have KCs leadership. Of course he would have to pull a Bettis and play for near the vet minimum to make it even feasible.

elfinmagic53 said:
Steve McNair has had to restructure his deal, nearly every year since he was signed. In the end, he'll be lucky to get half the value of his original signing deal.

when players restructure they generally transfer non-guranteed money to guranteed money and then the guranteed money is spread over the remaining life of the contract. McNair has not at all been "ripped off" by the Titans. That $13m CAP hit he is on the books for represents $13m in real $ that the Titans have already paid him, but it counts against this years CAP.

Hoffa said:
I agree. If Kevin Carter is a bad person, then what we had on the team last year were not even humans.

I agree

I am sure KC is a nice guy and a good neighbor, he sure is well spoken on the radio I know that.

Still doesn't change the way he left and signed with the Fish on like the first day of FA.

Gunny said:
Surely he has more then enough for himself.
Of course he does.

But what makes him a man of charactor is he doesn't do everything just for himself.
He's not what you think of when you think of the typical person in his position.
He should be the model that the young players coming into the leaque should strive to be like,
instead of trying to be like a thug.

GoT said:
Still doesn't change the way he left and signed with the Fish on like the first day of FA.
I understand where you're coming from, but we've got to put the petty grudges away sometimes.
It's not something so big we can't forgive and go on.

If Carter was willing to play for the vet minimum, I might consider it. But I doubt he'd be willing to do that and the Titans will not throw a lot of money at DT.

At this point, I don't see the Titans even offering Haynesworth a long-term deal.

GoT said:
when players restructure they generally transfer non-guranteed money to guranteed money and then the guranteed money is spread over the remaining life of the contract. McNair has not at all been "ripped off" by the Titans. That $13m CAP hit he is on the books for represents $13m in real $ that the Titans have already paid him, but it counts against this years CAP.

Restructuring isn't always a good deal for a player, otherwise every player in the league would want to restructure and get the upfront guaranteed money. Lots of players have chosen to get cut than to take a restructured deal.

In most restructured deals, a lot of the money to be paid out is put at the "back end" of the contract and a player is given a small "signing bonus", which would be called guaranteed money and the player plays for the league vet minimum. That's why so many players end up getting cut because the team doesn't want to own up to and pay out that huge back end loaded contract for a player who no longer lives up to that amount of money.

elfinmagic53 said:
Restructuring isn't always a good deal for a player, otherwise every player in the league would want to restructure and get the upfront guaranteed money. Lots of players have chosen to get cut than to take a restructured deal.

In most restructured deals, a lot of the money to be paid out is put at the "back end" of the contract and a player is given a small "signing bonus", which would be called guaranteed money and the player plays for the league vet minimum. That's why so many players end up getting cut because the team doesn't want to own up to and pay out that huge back end loaded contract for a player who no longer lives up to that amount of money.

yes that is the difference between guranteed money and non-guranteed money. Guranteed money is actual money that helps TO feed his family nonguranteed money is not actual money and is not useful for feeding TOs family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back