Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
The following is a post taken by a fan on another board.

Well I think the Titans are headed in the right direction. There are some things they have improved on:

* Their pass rush is improved. Kyle Vanden Bosch has got to be resigned this offseason. Keeping Albert Haynesworth healthy is key. When he is healthy there isn't an O-Lineman in the league that can block him.

* The cornerbacks were a big improvement this year from last year, and they were manned by two rookies in Pacman Jones and Renaldo Hill. Sure they had their growing pains but overall they showed improvement each week.

* Special teams. Last year the Titans stunk in this department. This year the combo of Courtney Roby and Pacman Jones have really opened up the return game and the kicking game was in good hands with newcomer Ron Bironas who was a pleasant surprise and always dependable Craig Hentrich. Kick coverage also was vastly improved.

Now for the things that need improvement:

* The run defense. These guys need to go back to the basics when it comes to wrapping up and tackling. Too many teams had their way running the ball.

* The safeties we have are horrid. Lamont Thompson was supposed to replace Lance Shulters and he failed miserably. He takes bad angles, makes no impact plays and looks lost at times. The same can be said for Tank Williams. I cut him some slack because he came back from blowing out his knee but his play before the injury was suspect at best before that.

* The offensive line really showed it's age this year. Penalties killed us all year long, and veterans Brad Hopkins, Zach Piller and Benji Olsen were the culprits most of the time. We had a rookie at RT tackle in Michael Roos who seemed lost at times. It's time to let the old walk. I don't expect Olsen and Hopkins back and frankly I won't miss them. Time to get the young players (who apparently have been very impressive) in the lineup and show what they can do.

* Wide receiver. Injuries killed us this year. We lost two rookies who were showing alot of potential. Brandon Jones and Roydell Williams really added a dimension we have lacked. Cortney Roby was a pleasant surprise but he's no better than a #3 or #4 WR. Having Jones and Williams back will be a plus. With that said though there is room for improvement. Tyrone Calico is a bust and a total dick tease. His height, speed and 40 time is amazing, yet he couldn't catch a cold. Drew Bennett is NOT a #1 WR.

* Running backs. Can someone please be stupid enough to trade for Chris Brown? God he stinks. He rips a 10 yard run, he rips a 8 yard run...then he comes out of the game hurt. He can't convert short yardage. He's as fragile as Fragile Fred Taylor in Jacksonville (and THAT'S bad). Travis Henry had his problems this year with the suspension but when he played he showed more than that punk Brown.

The Titans were the youngest team in the NFL and I really think that a few moves here and there will really make a difference. The main concerns are O-Line, Safety, WR and tackling. These can be addressed in the draft. I hope the Titans take a Jimmy Williams or Michael Huff to shore up the secondary in the second round and then use the rest of the draft to shore up the o-line and WR spot. Some competition in those spots will maybe make some of these lethargic vets step up.

Oh yeah....the McNair issue. If the Titans restructure McNair's contract and he comes back I would put the Titans one year away from competing for a playoff spot. If they let McNair go and go with Volek or draft a QB? Then I think we won't be talking about the Titans competing until 2007. I personally think Volek would not a the best way to go. He's fragile and does not exude the leadership McNair does. But then again.....who in the NFL comes close to McNair's leadership skills?

I like his reference to McNair's leadership skills.
I think that is an underated intangible.

I agree with you there, but unfortunately QBs are not hired to have neato intangibles; they are hired to win games.
EG was a great leader too, but he was hired to gain yardage.
Keith Bulluck is arguably a great leader also, but his job is to sack QBs.

Jake Delhomme is a great leader also, much better at that than being a QB; but he's winning games.

See how that works? ;)

avvie said:
Jake Delhomme is a great leader also, much better at that than being a QB; but he's winning games.
There you go with the Carolina Cats are gonna win it all again.
I told you...

t1_cover0905.jpg

daylight coming and me want a Delhomme...

"Yes, but I came here for an argument!!"
"OH! Oh! I'm sorry! This is abuse!"

Seriously though, CB didn't do that bad or let me put it another way, Henry didn't produce any better behind our O-line. Keep both of them and get a better O-line, then I'm sure the combo will be good.

And wouldn't a healthy Roby rank ahead of R. Williams at WR?

CB & T.Henry

Do you know the difference between the two?
One is soft and the other is stoned...
Together they are the dynamic duo...

That's what Fisher is calling them now.
Seems two headed monster isn't doing well in focus groups.

I'd settle for a 700 pound gorilla myself.

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
I like his reference to McNair's leadership skills.
I think that is an underated intangible.

playing catch with the equipment guy before a game and missing practice all week is a sure fire way to show your leadership skills :sad2:

Vigsted said:
And wouldn't a healthy Roby rank ahead of R. Williams at WR?

You would think but Williams had exactly as much production as B. Jones, and both were ahead of Roby. Roby disappeared at the end. Completely. Williams showed he has more veteran moves than Roby. He used his experience to burn people, and did so more than Roby with his speed.

I'd take issue with prefering Henry over Brown. First, I think with the violation Henry is now 1 test away from a full season suspension. Secondly, even when Henry's around to play I'd rather see Brown out there. Problem is they're both either hurt or missing games (Henry missed games/playing time beyond his 4 game suspension) and you can't just go with one or the other. I think if we decide to stay with either Brown or Henry we're deciding to staying with both. Neither one is dependable enough to count on for more than 8-10 games or so a year, but in tandem can be effective. I'd rather we focus on the o-line and see if improvements there make a bigger difference.

avvie said:
I agree with you there, but unfortunately QBs are not hired to have neato intangibles; they are hired to win games.
EG was a great leader too, but he was hired to gain yardage.
Keith Bulluck is arguably a great leader also, but his job is to sack QBs.

See how that works? ;)
Actually, intangibles like leadership are taken into consideration all the time when teams are taking QB's in the draft. Sure, everyone want's to win but neato intangibles are the things that take players from average to good to great.

did anyone hear Fisher say on 104.5 the other day that a players character would play into whether they draft him or not this yr! Wonder what caused him to say that :brow:

Ewker said:
did anyone hear Fisher say on 104.5 the other day that a players character would play into whether they draft him or not this yr!
Until last year, that was always their stated policy on drafting players.

Gunny said:
what did Kiper say?

He said on his updated board from the end of the 2nd round that R. Williams was the best remaining wideout available. He sat at the top of Kiper's list until we drafted him the following day.

He's the frickin' Conference USA all-time leader of something for a WR, yards or TDs, I forget which.

I also think the rookies need to marinate a bit next year. Let them emerge gradually as Bennett and Calico in particular play themselves out of their starting spots. Wonder what vet we'll end up with, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back