Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Young declared for the draft, I was thrilled and have been drooling over getting him in Tennessee. When this low Wonderlic came out, I became very concerned, and began to have second thoughts. I just don't see how a QB with a 6 would ever be successful in the NFL. At a 16, I am a little more encouraged, if it is accurate. I've seen on another board where the 16 may have been the same test with the same questions, which wouldn't allay my concerns at all, if true. Today I sat down and brought up the combine press conferences which I had copied on my DVR, in particular the QB's. Matt Leinert was very good, very articulate and obviously very intelligent. When Young came on for his press conference, it was a little disturbing. The guy could hardly string 2 coherent sentences together and was very inarticulate. About the only clear thing he said was that there was nothing wrong with his throwing motion and that he had no intention of changing it. It appeared he had been coached to say this, as he mentioned it in some form 2 or 3 times. The way he sounded in his presser almost made Steve Mcnair sound like a Rhodes scholar(if you've ever heard him talk, you know what I mean). All I can say is that his pro day on 3-22 better be spectacular. If he can't beat Leinart or Cutler in throwing, he is in trouble. His athleticism and running ability will tip the scales in his favor, eveything else being equal, but if his throwing is not equal or superior, I think he could drop.

I have been concerned about drafting Young for long before the combine. The Wonderlic woes just cemented the fact that I don't want him.

Of course, it doesn't matter a hill of beans what we want. The coaches and Reese will check him out and have much better handle on what they want.

PragIdealist said:
Thank you.

P.S. ron hubbard is the founder of Scientology....:hmm:

and a darn good writer, which is what he was before he took up being a messiah or whatever he called himself.

Battlefield Earth rips phychology also, just not as obviously as the Mission Earth books.

I noticed you choose not to defend those eggheads who refused to publish Arthur Jensen, William Shockley, Herrnstein and Murray and the Bell Curve.

Phychology is nothing more than VooDoo praticed by overeducated idiots instead of mystical shamen.

Vigsted said:
:sad2:

Especially the fact that you out of hand dismiss all types of psychology, from behavioral studies, to cognitive psychology, to social psychology.

It is easy to dismiss that which you do not know. I would suggest anyone to read the book "Psychology" by Henry Gleitman et. al., for an introduction to what psychology is about. Intelligence tests and their problems are also covered very well in this book.

Phychology is on a self check - it dismisses itself.

Unfourtunatly I have had to talk with phychologist a few times for job requirements. A few times to often as far as I am concerned.

Psycholoogy is just VooDoo

More question than answers for young...

Starkiller is right if he scored a 6 and then got a 7 the second time around he is not worthy of the 3rd pick.

The nfl should report the facts on this because it doesn't help young. To say he didn't get a 6 but got a 16 the second time around doesn't clear up the issue of what he scored the first time.

One thing we can all agree with is that a 6 or 7 score is horrible for anyone no matter what color he is.

And by the way where are the other scores? Lienart got a 35 and they reported some scores taken at other locations. I searched and couldn't find any results for cutler, croyle or jacobs. Where are they?

Young falls 2 spaces on the big board...

Mel kiper has dropped young from 3rd to 5th but surprisingly has not moved up cutler that much. He also dropped dbrick to 4th and mario williams is now third. Williams and KVB as our DEs? Not a bad thought.

He still has cutler 15th which makes no sense after cutler had such great workouts. Cutler's solid 40 time(same as omar jacobs), combined with the fact he is probably the strongest QB in this draft should have moved him up. I guarentee the titans are looking at cutler a lot closer now and are even considering him for the 3rd pick.

VolnTitan said:
OK, I will chime in with some real world standardized test results. My daughter and best friend both are seniors at Centinnel HS. Both have 4.0+ GPAs and take all honor/AP courses. Now my daughter's GPA and class ranking is a bit higher, but not much...maybe 5-6 spaces. Both have taken the ACT and studied together. Now here is the difference. My daughter's friend doesn't do well on those test and has convinced herself of that fact. She took the ACT and got a 24, retook it and got a 26. My daughter took it and made a 33 (or 34, can't remember). The difference btwn. a 26 and a 33 is HUGE in terms of college. My daughter has received large scholarship offers from big universities and small private colleges. Her friend got much smaller scholarship offers. Now my point is this: Is my daughter that much smarter or more deserving than her friend? No. Will the difference btwn. a 33 and 26 indicate some kind of future success? Absolutely not. Bottom line, these standardized tests are far from perfect, but have been assigned maximum importance, but have no real indication on determining success.
The ACT is easy-first time I took it with no prior preparation and made a 25(English killed me with a 21-everything else was 23+ and math was a 28 or 29).
That said, the ACT is flawed and should not be the only thing looked at by colleges for scholarships.
The wonderlic is so much easier than the ACT its crazy

Kiper has said that Cutler has been overhyped and isn't in the same class as Leinart and Young. I disagree with him, but that's the reason he has Cutler ranked at #15.

It's rare for all the draft experts to agree on anything, but they usually have the same guys at the top. This year, Cutler is one of those rare big names that create a lot of disagreement on where he fits in.

Maximus...

It's not the questions that make the wonderlic hard it is the time limit of 12 minutes. With 50 questions that means you have only 15 seconds per question. While working out the ultimate answer to the questions is not always difficult it does take time. That's why only one player has ever scored a 50(a punter from harvard) and rarely do players score more than 40.

Starkiller...

I used to think cutler was about the 15th best player but after his workouts he has to have moved up at least 5 spots. Before i would have thought there was no chance we could get cutler but now it's not outrageous to think we could get him with the third pick.

But what if lienart really does well in his usc workouts? Do we consider trading up to get him? This decision will effect this team for many years to come.

I can't see the Titans trading up at all. We already are without a 3rd round pick. I can't see Floyd Reese giving up his 2nd as well.

I highly doubt that it would cost us a 2nd in this year's draft to move up 1 slot. Besides that, the only way that NO would even think about it is if we weren't planning on taking the player they wanted... which everyone thinks will be Leinart.

Well, as long as we were dealing with NO and they thought we were not going to take the player that they wanted (or if they had two players rated equally).. and they had no better offers, there is no reason why they wouldn't take some 2nd day picks to make the trade. After all, they still get the player they want, get to pay him less, and get some extra picks to boot. The trade chart is more of a guide than a rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back