Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: A day after his agent said he would not be willing to mentor a young QB, Steve McNair explained how he is not yet ready to give up his starting job with the Titans. "I have been helping that team for eight, nine years. Anybody who knows me knows that it's not about me not wanting to help a guy. I just want to play, and I want to continue to play with the Titans and I want to be a starter," McNair said. "I know, everybody in Nashville knows, and everybody in the NFL knows they are going to pick a quarterback in the draft. That is the least of my worries. But the thing is, I think I still have two, three more years to play and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to continue in that role. I am not at the end of my career. I am not ready to step aside." He also comments on the recent free agency additions the Titans have made. "I think the direction things are going in is great," McNair said. "I think they made a great decision to get Givens and we've gotten better on the defensive side of the ball with the new guys coming in. They did everything they could to make this team better and I think they have made it better. Hopefully I can be a part of it. I'm ready to get on the field and play."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

goTitans.com said:
SUMMARY: A day after his agent said he would not be willing to mentor a young QB, Steve McNair explained how he is not yet ready to give up his starting job with the Titans. "I have been helping that team for eight, nine years.

i don't like that.

You talk about straddling a fence, 'I'll lower my cap figure if you'll sign me long term'. I'm hoping the Titans aren't stupid enough to bite on this one. McNair wasn't worth 10 mil last year when he took the field after saying that he was "in the best shape of his career". Following 3 bad years, he wants big money and a guarantee for 3 more! I've been on this board long enough to know that I'm about to hear a chorus of, "It wasn't his fault, it was the O-Lines fault", or, "It was the receivers fault, he can't connect with Bennett". I'm sorry, I'm not buying it. I watched all the games last year. The McNair that played last year is not the Steve we've come to love in the past. For one thing, he doesn't want to......or can't.....run out of the pocket that used to be Signature McNair. He is over-throwing and under-throwing receivers, either the timing is off or he's unwilling to gamble with the throw which used to be quite accurate.
If McNair demands BIG MONEY and 3 more years and the Titans give it to him, he had better produce. The fans in the Colliseum are going to show their minds if he does not. Would it be the first time I heard the Coliseum 'boo' McNair?
You're an aging vet, something that doesn't sit well with the NFL. Take what you can get, (see: Bettis the Bus), and do what you can to contribute. Worst things can happen when you demand too many things, (see: Eddie....Eddie....Eddie). If you take less pay and maybe less field time, less production (see: 2004 2005),you could always say, "Hey, you got what you paid for!"

How many times did he say "2-3 more years" in that article... I'm betting at least 8...

I think we haven't seen enough of the same Steve in the past few years to give him 3 or 4 more, unless he were taking a pay cut, which he definitely says he won't do. I'd say leave it as it is, keep the pressure on him, and if he doesn't really show up next year, we don't have to worry about him or his cap number any more. However, if he comes out strong, resign him for two more years. He'd also have to show more leadership in the lockerroom and with the new QB.

The writing is on the wall. There will be opportunities to start somewhere in the league (Baltimore for example) for 2-3 more years.

Hate to say it, but from this read, Steve won't be a Titan next year.

I'd like to see them give MAC the starting role on the condition that it is his to lose. I'd like to see Steve embrace the idea of taking Vince Young under his wing and showing him the ropes. In the event of injury I'd like to see Vince get playing time. If it turns out that eventually VY beats him out and wins the job outright, I'd like to see McNair step up to the challenge of being a NOD type... NOD stepped in for McNair in the past when Steve was hurt. Many argue that VY is gonna get hurt because he plays in the style of McNair... well, I'm not really keen on the idea of investing too much money at QB, but honestly, if there really is so much injury factor in going with the McNair style qb... why the heck not...

I'm so sure that Drew Bledsoe is just sick when he looks at his SB ring.

Playing and starting are two different things. I would absolutely LOVE for us to draft Young, Steve start in '06, start some in '07 and give Young a couple of starts toward the end of the season. I would love for Steve to be available to start in '08, '09 if Young injured.

I can't get an accurate read from the article if Steve would be OK with type of arrangement. Obviously the money depends on how OK he'd be with it.

Some of this sounds like, "I hate to admit that I'm getting up in years and have lost a step or two". His back has been telling him that for years. As a matter of fact, Steve himself told us that after the 2004 season.
The Old Stud is being put out to pasture and he's going to fight every inch of the way. I love it! His mind is right, his heart is HUGE, his legacy is writen in stone, but the body is wore out.
Offer me a "few" million for 1 year to bow-out-gracefully and see how fast I sign.

What are you guys talking about?

Steve didn't start until his third season. It took carson palmer and troy aikman until their 3rd seasons to be any good and they were top pick prototypes. Where do you get the idea that young will be better than mcnair in his second year?

Currently mcnair's contract doesn't even include 2007 anyway.

Mcnair does not want to be a one year stop gap for someone else. He either wants to finish his career here or some other place but why would he want to go one more year here and then move on at age 34? We need to commit to this guy for at least another year and that means new contract. Steve starts in 2006 and 07 and then young gets the nod. I want to win now. Many of you seem to have this idea that we are building up for some 2008-2009 power surge. I'm already tired of losing!

Fightintitan...

What steve said in 2004 is meaningless. He had an injury then that needed surgery and he was in great pain and could not perform. That injury is now healed and he is saying something completely different now.

i knew something like this would surface after his agent ran his mouth i think he'll sign a two year deal or a one year extension if you will go somewhere in 2008 and fade like eddie theres no way they give the reigns to an unproven rookie unless they want a top 5 pick next year that is just flat out crazy they dont look toward next years draft so i know someone will give and its probably tenn not steve cuz he could get paid elsewhere plus an outright release will only save what 9-10 mil and he'll still eat up 14 mil thats crazy too.

My only problem with what Rolltide is saying is... Well, what do you know? I don't have ANY problem with what Rolltide is saying. People keep saying that you can't pay two Qb's... But the Bengals did.
Now Mcnair will get more than Kitna did, and deservedly so. But the real trouble with Keeping Steve for 2-3 years and the QB of the future as #2 really comes down to how creative Floyd can be with the cap.
Most of us have thought all along that Steve is one and done, or just done. But why are there not more Mcnair supporters advocating some creative cap works with the New QB. We can still pay the new guy tons of dollars. Just not high base salaries. And we can pay steve big money, just not lot's of bonus money.

RollTide said:
Steve didn't start until his third season. It took carson palmer and troy aikman until their 3rd seasons to be any good and they were top pick prototypes. Where do you get the idea that young will be better than mcnair in his second year?

Currently mcnair's contract doesn't even include 2007 anyway.

Mcnair does not want to be a one year stop gap for someone else. He either wants to finish his career here or some other place but why would he want to go one more year here and then move on at age 34? We need to commit to this guy for at least another year and that means new contract. Steve starts in 2006 and 07 and then young gets the nod. I want to win now. Many of you seem to have this idea that we are building up for some 2008-2009 power surge. I'm already tired of losing!

We need Steve for 2 or 3 more years, you are right the great qb's had to wait and learn under a veteran, Steve waited under Chandler, Young under Montana, we have to be patient, I hope that Steve's contract is going to be restructured for 2 years with a possible extension for 1 more year.

From a McNair supporter.

First, he was booed a lot at the Coliseum the first year. Second, I think everything he says sounds reasonable. He and the Titans have an agreement. Why should he HAVE to negotiate. It would be nice if he did but that does not make him a horrible and selfish person. Especially considering what O'Donnell and Godfrey have went threw in the past. Steve basically feels that he start for 2-3 more years. He is more than willing to fulfull the current contract and become a free agent next year. The ball in the Titans court if they don't believe he is worth it then release him so he can try out the market. What' wrong with that.

Im a big McNair fan but simply dont believe he is still worth top 5 qb money. If we do release him he will probably find no one else believes he's worth top 5 qb money either.The Ravens are looking for a qb to compete with Boller but they won't pay top money for Steve or anyone else thats why they havent been players in FA qb market. The rumors they are waiting for Steve to be released is probably true but only at their price. We need to do a 2 year deal thats fair to Steve and the team with an option for a 3rd year. If Steve can play for 2 or 3 more years at a high level great if not he's here 1 to 2 years and we move on.

MsTitan said:
From a McNair supporter.

... He is more than willing to fulfull the current contract and become a free agent next year. The ball in the Titans court if they don't believe he is worth it then release him so he can try out the market. What' wrong with that.

No he is not. McNair has already said he doesn't want to be a stop gap for the next QB (he doesn't want to waste one of the few years he has left playing as a lame duck). We can make him fulfill his contract but then we have a lame duck QB who really doesn't want to be here. Also Reese has said that leaving things as they are currently is not an option because of the CAP hit.
The bottom line is McNair want a 3 year deal either with the Titans or he wants to leave and get his deal somewhere else. Even a 3 year deal with the Titans is not exactly what McNair wants if we draft a QB because then he will have a rookie breathing down his neck.

I don't see McNair as the kind who wouldn't give the Titans his all if things remain as they are now with him making $10 mil in '06. If anything, it is incentive for him to produce even more as it would drive up his demand after '06.

And, he WOULD be making $10 mil.

I'm not sold on it yet.

RollTide said:
We need to commit to this guy for at least another year and that means new contract. Steve starts in 2006 and 07 and then young gets the nod. I want to win now. . I'm already tired of losing!
We do need to commit to Steve, but Steve has to give a little too. He, like Eddie WOULD have, will benefit from it. If you want to be a 10 mil QB, play like one. IMO, Steve did not give us our monies worth last year, or 2004, IMO.
"......and then Young gets the nod", true, IF they select him in April.
I feel as you do. I am tried of loosing. I want atleast 11 wins in 2006. I really don't think it'll happen. As a scholar once told me, "Rome was not built in one day". We will be back on top looking down on Indy, but not tomorrow. We still have a few things that need tweaked!

????????

MsTitan said:
From a McNair supporter.

First, he was booed a lot at the Coliseum the first year.
Steve's first year at the Coliseum, he went undefeated.
It really pains me to say this, but Steve was booed in the Coliseum last year. The first time for being unwilling to run the ball, which he corrected a couple weeks later. The second time for being completely inaccurate in his passing. Too many overthrown or underthrown passes.

But.........

RollTide said:
What steve said in 2004 is meaningless. He had an injury then that needed surgery and he was in great pain and could not perform. That injury is now healed and he is saying something completely different now.
I can also quote Steve McNair almost a year ago today: "I am in the best shape of my career". He did not play that great last year, and did not stay healthy. Not just back problems, its chest problems (from falling on the ball), toe problems, ankle problems. Everyone, (the fans, media, Fisher, the FO), give him credit for playing hurt in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, and probably in 2006. "He can't practice this week, but will play on Sunday" is weekly reading in the Tennessean. And it will be weekly reading in 2006. It was Steve that first mentioned the "R" word, not the Titans.
Please don't get me wrong, I love Steve and what he has done for this team and the City of Nashville and the state of Tennessee. But things change. Decisions have to be made for what is best for the TEAM, not just one player, even if he was a great one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back