Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is possible.

Three year deal with an option for the final, friendly to us, fair to him. I don't see him leaving, regardless of what pans out. Losing Steve is like giving up, making us way to young in the head where it counts. Bad idea. I'd say "Please let's not make this into an Eddie situation. We'd hate to lose you like that, and hate the perception you might get, regardless of where you end up. We want the best for you, we just think that's here."

Who knows, the right pickups and impact draft players, we could see some glory before Steve's sun sets.

See below....

GLinks said:
It is possible.

Three year deal with an option for the final, friendly to us, fair to him. I don't see him leaving, regardless of what pans out. Losing Steve is like giving up, making us way to young in the head where it counts. Bad idea. I'd say "Please let's not make this into an Eddie situation. We'd hate to lose you like that, and hate the perception you might get, regardless of where you end up. We want the best for you, we just think that's here."

Who knows, the right pickups and impact draft players, we could see some glory before Steve's sun sets.
Our situation with McNair is somewhat like Green Bay and Farve. The Cheeseheads are hanging onto an old QB who can longer win games. They keep throwing their money into something that can't be fixed. We are not a retirement home for players who USED to be great, that role has been taken by the Raiders who collect old USED-TO-BES.
It is obvious about McNair, he is one hit away from retirement. Is this what you want to invest in?
________
Gong Bong

I agree completly

EG's decision to go to DaBoyz instead of taking a pay cut to stay in Nashville is one of the stupidest decisions I think I can remember an intelligent person making. It's like his decision tree was done on a Candyland board or something - just totally nonsensical.

He could still be in the Titan backfield today getting ceremonial starts and the occasional 15+ carry game when CB breaks down. PLUS converting on 3rd and 1 would not just have to be a dream.

Broken Record said:
To look at this "fairly" (which may be impossible) you'd have to look at salary cap era quarterbacks with similar team impact and similar career length and see what type of money these quarterbacks made over the length of their career. Then you might be able to get an idea of where to slot McNair.

I'm way too lazy to dig all that info up, but let me say this... I think Steve deserves a fair amount of money, maybe even more than fair considering what he has meant to the franchise.

Sure, he hasn't performed at a $10M a year level over the last couple of seasons, but how much has he made over the length of his career? Steve has the reputation of a "restructure and take one for the team" kind of guy, deserved or not. If he has done that in the past and the team has given him a carrot on a stick with a big payout at the end of his career, then maybe it's time to pay the piper.

I get sick of these contracts that have exorbitant amounts of money at the end that the team and the player know will never get paid out. I think Manning has one of those contracts now. Colts fans are saying the same thing we've always said about Steve. "Oh, he'll just restructure for the good of the team."

Restructuring or not...he did not lose out on any money. By restructuring it guarenteed him the money that was a base salary by converting it into a bonus. Sure it lowered his base pay....but by converting it to a bonus it became prorated over the length of the contract....He made out just fine.

GoT said:
I agree completly

EG's decision to go to DaBoyz instead of taking a pay cut to stay in Nashville is one of the stupidest decisions I think I can remember an intelligent person making.

And on top of that, he made the same or less than we offered him. He signed a contract with incentives that he couldn't deliver.

??
I thought it was mostly in production incentives, with the base pay being about the same; then he got no playing time to earn the incentives?

I'm probably wrong, but I seem to remember reading that somewhere....

I don't remember what kind of incentives he had, but the bonus they gave him up front was more than what the Titans were offering.

yeah that is the way I remember it too. There were incentitives, but they were bizaroworld stuff, expecially when Parcells benched and then deactivated him late in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back