Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: As the Titans settled one of their offseason priorities with a contract agreement for Kyle Vanden Bosch, nothing has been settled with Steve McNair who turned 33 this week. There has been little movement in negotiations and both sides appear to be sticking to their guns. The Titans have said they could pay a $1 million non-exercise fee and let McNair play out '06 but the cap hit would be anywhere from $13 to $16 million. Meanwhile, McNair would like a long-term deal and wants his '06 salary to remain at the $10 million mark.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

My understanding is the CAP hit will be about the same this year if we pay him the 1.0 million option and keep him one more year as it will be if we cut him. Just pay him the 1.0 mill and let Young be the starter after sitting one year.

Soxcat said:
My understanding is the CAP hit will be about the same this year if we pay him the 1.0 million option and keep him one more year as it will be if we cut him. Just pay him the 1.0 mill and let Young be the starter after sitting one year.

About the same opinion as me, although i do think Mcnair's got enough Titan spirit to play with the Titans for a year or two after that even as a backup

LazyManJackson said:

About the same opinion as me, although i do think Mcnair's got enough Titan spirit to play with the Titans for a year or two after that even as a backup

We don't want McNair staying as a backup and certainly McNair will not want that either. McNair is still going to want big $$ if he stays so the best scenario is to have Young sit the bench the first year and then take over.

nigel said:
Jeff made a boo boo. The article doesnt mention Vince Young at all, and Bus is Cutler's agent, not Young's.
I thought the irony too interesting not to comment on. I based that on this:

"The Madison product will hire Bus Cook as his agent. Cook is also the agent for Tennessee quarterback Steve McNair, Young's mentor, and Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre." (from the Houston Chronicle)

I stand corrected. I just found this"

"Houston sports agent and attorney Major Adams confirms he and his company will represent NFL prospect Vince Young for contract negotiations as well as marketing work. Young is also from Houston.

Adams says James "Bus" Cook, who represents Green Bay Packers quarterback Brett Favre and Tennessee Titans quarterback Steve McNair, won't have a formal role in Young's representation, but might informally advise him on the negotiation of Young's NFL contract. Media speculation had indicated that Cook would represent Young because McNair is Young's mentor. "

Whoops.

"Houston sports agent and attorney Major Adams confirms he and his company will represent NFL prospect Vince Young for contract negotiations as well as marketing work. Young is also from Houston."

so Young is paying these guys but he might consult informally with Cook?

Sounds like a major disaster is about to happen

Bus Cook was on 106.7 last week, and he said he had absolutely nothing to do with representing Vince Young, that he wasnt involved with him at all.

nigel said:
Bus Cook was on 106.7 last week, and he said he had absolutely nothing to do with representing Vince Young, that he wasnt involved with him at all.
I think that could change after McNair gets settled. It might be perceived as a conflict of interest right now. I find it strange Adams made it sound like Bus might be involved at some point if that hadn't been discussed.

Cook's deal with Cutler essentially prevents him from being the agent for any other top QB in the draft this year. If he takes on Young as a client, Cutler could easily hire a new agent who wouldn't have such a conflict of interest.

There is speculation that Cook is actually working with Young's official agent, Major Adams, behind the scenes. Adams has negotiated just 1 NFL contract before.

If we release McNair what is our cap hit for this year? If it is around 9-10 mill than we should just keep him but if it is not that big, say 5-6 mill, I say we cut him loose and move on.

Cap hit...

If we release mcnair the cap hit will still be $13M for 2006 but we save $14M. So like soxcat said we gain little from what it would cost to keep him.

Problem is we can sign shaun alexander for the money it would cost to keep mcnair around. They are asking for a new deal that will still cost us $15-16M against the cap. Is mcnair worth that?

Once again we have an issue where our GM seems to have screwed up signing this monster contract with mcnair who isn't an elite player anymore. Why am i the only person who ever has a complaint about things like that?

RollTide said:
Problem is we can sign shaun alexander for the money it would cost to keep mcnair around.

Ha ha ha.

Even if the Seahawks dont resign Alexander, he aint coming to Tennessee. Not in a jillion years.

Bongo on TITANSCENTRAL wrote something I thought was interesting to consider:

He knows he is only going to play here.............he has no interest going elsewhere.............and I think he thinks he is a lock to be back because of Fish.................and I think that is where he has made his mistake.............but two things he and Cook have underplayed.............He has a personal issue that is a problem with Mr Adams and Reese.............and no coach like they way he ignored the young guys...............it killed their development..............many think it was because his mind was elsewhere....................truthfully I dont know I think that is pure speculation..............I thought Steves issues were mentall all last yr in camp and during the first two months of the season................I think he decided late he really wanted to come back and he became more focused..................but i think his early behavior may have hurt him in Reese's eyes...................and Cook and Mac really have underestimated how hot Floyd and Fishes seat really is...............they no longer have the luxury of a patient owner............he wants a step forward this yr.................does not mean playoffs.............it means thing have to be different or someone is gone.

I wouldn't be surprised if Reese and Co have some diminished feelings about McNair IMO. I also can see where they feel the heat of making some solid progress this year. Certainly Mack didn't spend alot of time in practice during the season, for whatever reason, so I can see there could be some bad feelings for sure. There are also rumors that the organization is seriously considering making a deal for Brees but I can't see how we could make that happen with our CAP numbers and the fact even if we cut McNair he costs too much on the CAP. Another rumor is that Dallas is seriously thinking about working a trade with NO for VY and that the Titans are not very high on Lienart.

Rumour has it that rumours are never true :winker:

Really I think either they will get a deal done that's cheaper than the 1million buyout or they use the buyout. No point in giving him a new longer and more expensive deal when he only has 1 or 2 years left as a starter on this team, imo.

He will only be released if it saves considerable money compared to keeping him and as I understand the figures they're about the same?

RollTide said:
Once again we have an issue where our GM seems to have screwed up signing this monster contract with mcnair who isn't an elite player anymore. Why am i the only person who ever has a complaint about things like that?
You're complaining about a contract extension full of unguaranteed money that was signed on the heels of an MVP season. That's why you're the only one complaining...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back