Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea no dont be doing that

Attaching your name to sucky QBs is a bad look

Now youre doing it with CBs and edge guys apparently

And no one can recall you saying something intelligent, you just shoot straight to slandering the opposition when youre ideas are called out cause you dont think things thru

Love ya buddy, but like one famous musician name jon said, "dont start no shit, wont be no shit"

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't necessarily think Maybin would be a bust, but I thought it was a big mistake to come out as a RS Sophomore. I knew he would really need the right situation. And he was a decent situational rusher for the Jets at one point, so I think it could have worked out different.

See, I think YGM would be a really nice fit for us, though I definitely can see why one might think he is only a 4-3 DE fit. If we are comparing him to Penn State guys, I see more of a slightly longer Tamba Hali, who thrived in both systems, though he was never the best cover guy.

With that said, I think Landry/Correa/Beasley/Roberson is enough, so I think someone at a different position would contribute more immediately.

Tamba Hali was a bad dude for KC.. I really liked him.

You act like Derrick Morgan wasn't a good player. He may not have been elite, but he was a good player.
Yea you dont hang around and play all those games unless youre pretty good

He wasnt sexy by any means but def a steady force off the edge and played the run really well

He also made the transition to OLB seamlessly, which often proves to challenge guys doing it

I just don't get the comparison.

A lot of people see YGM as this boom or bust insane measureables but raw in technique guy. Derrick Morgan was the complete opposite. No outstanding traits, just a good, reliable assignment football player.

Forgive me if I don't think this is a good career for a 1st round pick.

View attachment 17397

Looks rather impressive to me. Especially considering his contributions in the run game. He was exactly as billed. A guy that's good at everything, but not great at any one thing. Again, Morgan was never elite, but he was absolutely a good player. Not everyone has to be JJ Watt to be considered a good player.

Honestly his stats don't look too dissimilar to the career of Clowney. He's seems like he's pretty well regarded.

Morgan was the kind of dude that would have 4 or so QB hurries, bat down a pass, and draw a holding penalty, but you look at the box score and he had 2 tackles and we got thumped.

If we had a better defense at the time, we are probably looking at Derrick Morgan as one of the Titan greats.

The people calling for a "34 DE" over a "43 DE" need to get off Madden. The league doesn't really do that anymore, especially our D. You have players that move all over, to all kinds of positions in different sets.

Nickel is now the new base. You need all sorts of fast, athletic, but not undersized guys to move to different places on the field to do a variety of things. YGM is definitely one of those guys and could see him being a good fit for us.

We only have Beasley for 1 year, and while I hope he blows up for us, we have no idea if he will. Bringing in a YGM would allow us to rotate guys and do a wide variety of things to mess with defenses.

I just don't get the comparison.

A lot of people see YGM as this boom or bust insane measureables but raw in technique guy. Derrick Morgan was the complete opposite. No outstanding traits, just a good, reliable assignment football player.
Exactly why I see more of a JPP comparison than a Morgan one

The people calling for a "34 DE" over a "43 DE" need to get off Madden. The league doesn't really do that anymore, especially our D. You have players that move all over, to all kinds of positions in different sets.

Nickel is now the new base. You need all sorts of fast, athletic, but not undersized guys to move to different places on the field to do a variety of things. YGM is definitely one of those guys and could see him being a good fit for us.

We only have Beasley for 1 year, and while I hope he blows up for us, we have no idea if he will. Bringing in a YGM would allow us to rotate guys and do a wide variety of things to mess with defenses.
Theres still some 43 DEs that just wont make great OLBs. Those 280lb 43 ends arent ideal candidates. Morgan even dumped a bunch of weight to make it all click. OLBs line up wider than 43 ends.

Rak also made the switch to OLB from DE really well but he was going into as an undersized DE

I would argue that you don't want daquon Jones (or any of the other dts on our roster) on the field in most nickel situations. If thats the vision jr and vvrabel have, then so be it, but i don't see it. And even then, you're crazy if you don't think 34 is still the base defense. It all starts with stopping the run 1st still even in today's nfl.

So yes, a 34 dend, 3 tech, fat boy, whatever the hell you wanna call it, is still much more of a glaring need right now. If YGM was some can't miss prospect, id feel different about taking him in the 1st, but he's not that. Corner or DE/DT will be our 1st pick....id be shocked if JR went another route.

Exactly why I see more of a JPP comparison than a Morgan one

I might agree more with your comp, i just named Derrick morgan because i was trying to think of the most mediocre 1st round pick we've ever made lol. I understand d Morgan was an ok player, but for where he was picked, he was supposed to produce alot more. I mean when you line up at dend and your main job is to get the passer and all you get is 6 sacks per year. That's the definition of underwhelming. Ok he was great in the run game. Awesome...i want my pass rushers to be great pass rushers. Sorry...just my preference.

Thats besides the point tho. I can see a jpp comp for this kid. Has the size, tools, etc. Does he have it all upstairs tho? Does he have the motor? I think this is a fair comp because jpp obviously has battled with those issues.

I think we could make worse picks, but i think we can make better picks too.

DEs play contain more than anything, which doesnt lead to big sack totals.

Morgan set the edge and pressured QBs. Sacks just didnt pile up for him like with JPP.

JPP had that little extra burst. Which I also see in YGM

DEs play contain more than anything, which doesnt lead to big sack totals.

Morgan set the edge and pressured QBs. Sacks just didnt pile up for him like with JPP.

JPP had that little extra burst. Which I also see in YGM

Dends play contain more than anything? You're telling me that derrick morgan was asked to contain the edge more than disrupt the play in the backfield/rush the passer? Idk about that one...i recall Derrick morgan trying hard af to get to the qb on most plays, but he was just never quite disruptive enough to get there.

Then we gave him a fat money bag and he had like 3 sacks after that. Yalls undying love for d morgan is impressive.

Dends play contain more than anything? You're telling me that derrick morgan was asked to contain the edge more than disrupt the play in the backfield/rush the passer? Idk about that one...i recall Derrick morgan trying hard af to get to the qb on most plays, but he was just never quite disruptive enough to get there.

Then we gave him a fat money bag and he had like 3 sacks after that. Yalls undying love for d morgan is impressive.
Yea 43 ends play contain more than most things they can do

Uh oh, do I sense a friendship between Falk and Brave coming along?
brokeback_mountain_library_congress_2.jpg

I would argue that you don't want daquon Jones (or any of the other dts on our roster) on the field in most nickel situations. If thats the vision jr and vvrabel have, then so be it, but i don't see it. And even then, you're crazy if you don't think 34 is still the base defense. It all starts with stopping the run 1st still even in today's nfl.

So yes, a 34 dend, 3 tech, fat boy, whatever the hell you wanna call it, is still much more of a glaring need right now. If YGM was some can't miss prospect, id feel different about taking him in the 1st, but he's not that. Corner or DE/DT will be our 1st pick....id be shocked if JR went another route.
It's certainly a glaring need in terms of the position not being filled (none of us want to see Jack Crawford get significant snaps), but it's not nearly the same need in terms of roster and draft value.

A 3rd/nickel CB is going to play a lot more snaps, and a bad player in that position is going to be a much bigger liability than a DE who could end up playing only about 30% or fewer of the defensive snaps. We're much shallower at that position than anywhere else, and it's easily our biggest hole.

A lot of our nickel packages last year included Casey and Simmons as the only two DL's on the field, or even just 1 of them, with Evans coming down to the line sometimes, and Landry/Correa (and Roberson in the playoffs) coming off the edges.

And I'm actually OK with Jones playing more snaps in Casey's place as a run stuffer in a nickel set, where we're smaller everywhere else. He's always graded pretty well and is just a solid player. There's no one in the draft where we are that jumps up as someone who's game changing interior DL.

Now obviously, if we could get Clowney that would change everything. He could play either DE in base sets, then keep him and Simmons on the field in Nickel/Dime sets and move him all over the place as a chess peice. But as for the draft, there's other positions with far more value as far as the quality of prospects in the back end of the 1st.

It's certainly a glaring need in terms of the position not being filled (none of us want to see Jack Crawford get significant snaps), but it's not nearly the same need in terms of roster and draft value.

A 3rd/nickel CB is going to play a lot more snaps, and a bad player in that position is going to be a much bigger liability than a DE who could end up playing only about 30% or fewer of the defensive snaps. We're much shallower at that position than anywhere else, and it's easily our biggest hole.

A lot of our nickel packages last year included Casey and Simmons as the only two DL's on the field, or even just 1 of them, with Evans coming down to the line sometimes, and Landry/Correa (and Roberson in the playoffs) coming off the edges.

And I'm actually OK with Jones playing more snaps in Casey's place as a run stuffer in a nickel set, where we're smaller everywhere else. He's always graded pretty well and is just a solid player. There's no one in the draft where we are that jumps up as someone who's game changing interior DL.

Now obviously, if we could get Clowney that would change everything. He could play either DE in base sets, then keep him and Simmons on the field in Nickel/Dime sets and move him all over the place as a chess peice. But as for the draft, there's other positions with far more value as far as the quality of prospects in the back end of the 1st.

I hear ya. I just like the idea of terrorizing teams in the trenches. Plus, corner is deep as hell this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back