Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1999 some of the pre season power rankings had St Louis ranked as low as 28th !!! Didn't they win the superbowl that year with an untested QB ?

I think Tennessee started that year about #12 or so. Those guys didn't do too bad either...The lessen DON'T PAY ANY ATTENTION TO PRESEASEON RANKINGS Especially ones from ESPN...

Just for fun take a look at this from Sept 7,1999 http://espn.go.com/nfl/preview99/rankings.html

BAMARON,
Who was number one on the power rankings week one when the pats last won the super bowl? The Pats! Amazing! I know that's a biased stat, but the point is simply that they get some things right and some things wrong. Also, note that the power rankings are simply a situational ranking of where they think the teams are at the moment, it's not a prediction for the next season.

GoTitans3801 said:
BAMARON,
Who was number one on the power rankings week one when the pats last won the super bowl? The Pats! Amazing! I know that's a biased stat, but the point is simply that they get some things right and some things wrong. Also, note that the power rankings are simply a situational ranking of where they think the teams are at the moment, it's not a prediction for the next season.[/QUOTE

As the old saying goes...a broken clock is right twice a day...Of course they get one right now and then. If you look as the preseason rankings for the past years, they have been wrong as much as they have been right. That's my point...nobody can predict injuries...or who might have a breakout season...

Power rankings this time of year make for good discussion. Other than that they don't mean a thing.

I don't think we disagree on that

To keep the argument moving, they have the Pats listed high on their list mainly because of their QB. What happens to their ratings if the Pats QB goes out for the season during pre-season? That's what I was asking earlier about our Titans. They rated us low because of Volek. Where would they rate us if we signed Collins?
If the power ratings were 100% accurate, I'd be headed to Vegas to visit Guido & Vinnie with every dollar I can get my hands on! Is ESPN any good at predicting the Power Ball?

Check out last year's ESPN preseason Power rankings ....

(bold type indicates teams that made it to the playoffs)

Their top ten

1. Patriots
2. Colts
3. Eagles
4. Vikings
5. Steelers
6. Falcons
7. Chargers
8. Ravens
9. Jets
10.Panthers

In their top ten teams, only four made the postseason.

The ten worst

1. Niners
2. Browns
3. Dolphins
4. Bears
5. Bucs
6. Titans
7. Redskins
8. Giants
9. Lions
10.Raiders

Their preseason "cellar dwellers" produced two division winners, and two wildcard teams.

This illustrates just how useless preseason rankings are....when all was said and done, their predictions were no more accurate than a coin flip.

Nine made a very good point, but that doesn't mean the rankings don't mean anything. Power rankings are supposed to be the ranking of where these teams are at the time of the ranking, not season predictions.

This is what they said, in short, about their 4th slot Denver, "Between Jay Cutler and Javon Walker, they've brought in their QB-WR tandem of the future".
The tandem 'of the future' made the 4th slot <u>this year</u>. Now thats a Power Rating!!!!!!

From that point, they aren't that bad. Once Dante and McNabb went down, there was a huge change. Yeah, they were off on a few others. Were the Chargers really that bad of a call? I'd say they were easily the best team to miss it.

Just saying, the season is long, things change, but it's not that bad an indicator of where teams are right now, it's an indication of momentum, at least in theory, based on the offseason. My guess is we'd be a lot higher if Steve hadn't just left.

But Denver is also pretty damn good right now? Do you think that's way off? I'd put them in the top ten at least. The comment was indirect, but I don't think the ranking is that off.

I've had about as much to say about preseason rankings as anyone on this board, Except maybe GoTitans3801. The things we seem to agree on are

1. These rankings are not necessarly a prediction of how the season will go
only an opinion of where teams are now.

2. We don't like where Tennessee is ranked now.

3. Perseason power rankings , for the most part, have not been a good
prediction of how a team will fare during the season.

4. The season begins in September

5. It's possible that the only thing we really agree on is # 4:ha:

Bamaron, I generally agree. Let's hope we show enough in preseason and the first few weeks to rise quickly. We've got to earn it, they sure aren't giving us anything.

I'll be very pleased if we win 6. It's a tough schedule and 5 wins is what I expect. Winning 7+ would be very good for this team.

Given the schedule, we could be a much improved team and still only win 5 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back