Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
As of right now, the chiefs are between 3.5-6.2m under the 2020 cap with Chris Jones on the franchise tag (which he has refused to play under). They could surely sign him to a longer deal with less money in year 1 than the 16m he gets with the tag.
They're currently projected to have between 22-35m in 2021, but the following are all free agents (of their top 53):
DL Chris Jones
WR Sammy Watkins
LG Duvernay-Tardif
OLB Damien Wilson
FS Daniel Sorenson
CB Breshaud Breeland
RB Damien Williams
DE Tanoh Kpassagnon
WR DeMarcus Robinson
TE Ricky Seals-Jones
RT Mike Remmers
FB Anthony Sherman
CB Antonio Hamilton
RB DeAndre Washington
DE Demone Harris
DE Davaroe Lawrence
RB Elijah McGuire
CB Charvarius Ward
RG Andrew Wylie
TE Deon Yelder
RT Jackson Barton
QB Jordan Taamu
CB Alex Brown
OG Ryan Hunter
WR Byron Pringle

They will be a powerhouse again in 2020, but 2021 is going to be a whole different team.

well, if they get that 22-35 million projected cap like you said, I’m sure they will be okay

well, if they get that 22-35 million projected cap like you said, I’m sure they will be okay
That's a whole lot of roster spots to fill. They are not going to be able to pay up for anyone.

25 of top 53 Chiefs are free agents in 2021. Some of them are well paid and big contributors. They will lose many of those and not be able to replace them with anyone that costs much.

For comparison, Titans projected to have 30-45m in 2021 and have the following free agents:
Derrick Henry
Jayon Brown
Jonnu Smith
Vic Beasley
DaQuan Jones
Corey Davis
Mycole Pruitt
Kamalei Correa
Jonathan Joseph
Anthony Firkser
Jack Crawford
Ty Sambrailo
Chris Milton
Tye Smith
Nick Dzubnar
That's 15 players, and we have substantially more cap space.

Last edited by a moderator:
On paper that looks like a really solid group of names. If the NFL wants to add an expansion team you should throw your name out there.
I'd take a GM job for an expansion team. I'll even take a low salary! What's the going rate of an average NFL GM these days? $5M/yr? I'll take half of that!

I'd take a GM job for an expansion team. I'll even take a low salary! What's the going rate of an average NFL GM these days? $5M/yr? I'll take half of that!
Dont sell yourself short, Ruston Webster stole about that much every year from the Titans.

As of right now, the chiefs are between 3.5-6.2m under the 2020 cap with Chris Jones on the franchise tag (which he has refused to play under). They could surely sign him to a longer deal with less money in year 1 than the 16m he gets with the tag.
They're currently projected to have between 22-35m in 2021, but the following are all free agents (of their top 53):
DL Chris Jones
WR Sammy Watkins
LG Duvernay-Tardif
OLB Damien Wilson
FS Daniel Sorenson
CB Breshaud Breeland
RB Damien Williams
DE Tanoh Kpassagnon
WR DeMarcus Robinson
TE Ricky Seals-Jones
RT Mike Remmers
FB Anthony Sherman
CB Antonio Hamilton
RB DeAndre Washington
DE Demone Harris
DE Davaroe Lawrence
RB Elijah McGuire
CB Charvarius Ward
RG Andrew Wylie
TE Deon Yelder
RT Jackson Barton
QB Jordan Taamu
CB Alex Brown
OG Ryan Hunter
WR Byron Pringle

They will be a powerhouse again in 2020, but 2021 is going to be a whole different team.
This is proof the salary cap works

"There were two things I said when we went into negotiations: I wanted to keep great players around me and I wanted to have long-term security for my family," Mahomes said

I wonder how many great players they can keep when they are paying 1 player 45mil a year?

Let’s see if they can still afford Chris Jones or have to trade him to us...

"There were two things I said when we went into negotiations: I wanted to keep great players around me and I wanted to have long-term security for my family," Mahomes said

I wonder how many great players they can keep when they are paying 1 player 45mil a year?
Well... they got it done. Maybe the team won't blow up. I can see other role players, like Sammy Watkins, taking less money to stay and win. Credit to their GM.

It's going to be interesting how that contract affect things with the reported possible 70m drop in cap.
The proposal by the NFL that the NFLPA is voting on right now has the cap only decreasing 20m next year and any additional losses that were incurred be spread over the next 3 seasons

Tbh i think the kid has his head screwed on and this was just about security more than anything else. Would not be suprised that there is alterations of his contract if more cap is needed. Get the impression hes more mature than his age.

Tbh i think the kid has his head screwed on and this was just about security more than anything else. Would not be suprised that there is alterations of his contract if more cap is needed. Get the impression hes more mature than his age.
it doesnt hurt that his dad knows the game of being a pro athlete, thats got to be worth a lot

well, he's losing his starting right guard now for this season -- so there's at least a hole in Oline atm.
I wonder how much money this guy forfeits for opting out and how much they have available to bring in someone to replace him this year.
I'm seeing that they currently have 4m available and this guy was slated to be a 5.5m cap hit this year.

I wonder how much money this guy forfeits for opting out and how much they have available to bring in someone to replace him this year.
I'm seeing that they currently have 4m available and this guy was slated to be a 5.5m cap hit this year.
I think they make like a cool mill if they opt out

The proposal by the NFL that the NFLPA is voting on right now has the cap only decreasing 20m next year and any additional losses that were incurred be spread over the next 3 seasons

Thanks hadn’t seen that. Still see his huge contract handicapping then down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back