Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
So, we all know about the PFF grading system, so I thought I’d grade JRob, because, well, why not. I’ll grade him in three parts. Draft picks, Trades and Free Agency. First up, drafting.

The PFF Grading Scale: Each player is given a grade of -2 to +2 in 0.5 increments on a given play with 0 generally being the average or “expected” grade.

For our purposes, Jrob will be graded on a similar grading scale per pick.

*Picks in Rounds 1-3 will receive positive or negative grades, while picks in rounds 4-UDFA will only receive a 0 or above grade, since the “expectation” is that little will come of these players anyway.

So, let’s begin.

Jack Conklin +2 (Two Time All Pro)

Kevin Dodd -2 (Bust, out of the league in 2 years)

Austin Johnson 0 (Consistent role player, still in the league)

Derrick Henry +2 (Hail to the King, Baby)

Kevin Byard +2 (Pro Bowl safety in the 3rd)

Tajae Sharpe +1 (Solid role player and part time starter in the 5th)

Leshaun Simms +0.5 (solid role player, still in the league)

Corey Davis +1 (solid #2, possibly #1 in New York)

Adoree Jackson +1 (Solid CB with still untapped potential)

Taywan Taylor -1.5 (Minus 1 for being lousy, -0.5 for us trading up to get him)

Jonnu Smith +1.5 (Pro bowl quality TE in the 3rd)

Jayon Brown +2 (positional top 20 starter in the 5th)

Rashaan Evans 0 (solid starter but nothing special)

Harold Landry +1 (solid starter in the 2nd)

Dane Cruickshank +.05 (Quality backup and special teams ace in the 5th)

Jeffrey Simmons +2 (The Beast)

AJ Brown +2 (#1 WR in the late 2nd)

Nate Davis +1.5 (Solid starter in the 3rd, received multiple All Pro votes last year)

Amani Hooker +1.5 (solid starter in the 4th)

David Long Jr. +1 (possible solid starter in the 6th)

Isaiah Wilson -2 (Dumpster fire)

Kristian Fulton 0 (too early to tell)

Darrington Evans 0 (too early to tell)

Okay, so PFF compiles these numbers and assigns a grade based on the totals. Now because they don’t tell us exactly how that works, I’m going to change each of these scores into a number grade as follows:

-2=0 -1.5=12.5 -1=25 -.5=37.5 0=50 +.5=62.5 +1=75 +1.5=87.5 +2=100

Then I’ll average them.

2016: 487.5 total points or a grade of 69.6

2017: 350 total points or a grade of 70

2018: 187.5 total points or a grade of 62.5

2019: 450 total points or a grade of 90

2020: 100 total points or a grade of 33.3

Overall: 1,575 total points or a grade of 68.5

However, if we take away last year since it’s really too early to tell on Fulton or Evans, his overall grade goes up to an impressive 73.75

What do you guys think?

Next up, Trades.

Two thoughts...

1) I'm not sure this means anything if we don't compare to other GM's.

2) The Taywan Taylor grades seems a little harsh. I bet you didn't know that, in Taylor's 2nd year with the Tits, he had more catches and more yards than Jonnu has gotten in any of his 4 years. And we traded him for a draft pick.

So, we all know about the PFF grading system, so I thought I’d grade JRob, because, well, why not. I’ll grade him in three parts. Draft picks, Trades and Free Agency. First up, drafting.

The PFF Grading Scale: Each player is given a grade of -2 to +2 in 0.5 increments on a given play with 0 generally being the average or “expected” grade.

For our purposes, Jrob will be graded on a similar grading scale per pick.

*Picks in Rounds 1-3 will receive positive or negative grades, while picks in rounds 4-UDFA will only receive a 0 or above grade, since the “expectation” is that little will come of these players anyway.

So, let’s begin.

Jack Conklin +2 (Two Time All Pro)

Kevin Dodd -2 (Bust, out of the league in 2 years)

Austin Johnson 0 (Consistent role player, still in the league)

Derrick Henry +2 (Hail to the King, Baby)

Kevin Byard +2 (Pro Bowl safety in the 3rd)

Tajae Sharpe +1 (Solid role player and part time starter in the 5th)

Leshaun Simms +0.5 (solid role player, still in the league)

Corey Davis +1 (solid #2, possibly #1 in New York)

Adoree Jackson +1 (Solid CB with still untapped potential)

Taywan Taylor -1.5 (Minus 1 for being lousy, -0.5 for us trading up to get him)

Jonnu Smith +1.5 (Pro bowl quality TE in the 3rd)

Jayon Brown +2 (positional top 20 starter in the 5th)

Rashaan Evans 0 (solid starter but nothing special)

Harold Landry +1 (solid starter in the 2nd)

Dane Cruickshank +.05 (Quality backup and special teams ace in the 5th)

Jeffrey Simmons +2 (The Beast)

AJ Brown +2 (#1 WR in the late 2nd)

Nate Davis +1.5 (Solid starter in the 3rd, received multiple All Pro votes last year)

Amani Hooker +1.5 (solid starter in the 4th)

David Long Jr. +1 (possible solid starter in the 6th)

Isaiah Wilson -2 (Dumpster fire)

Kristian Fulton 0 (too early to tell)

Darrington Evans 0 (too early to tell)

Okay, so PFF compiles these numbers and assigns a grade based on the totals. Now because they don’t tell us exactly how that works, I’m going to change each of these scores into a number grade as follows:

-2=0 -1.5=12.5 -1=25 -.5=37.5 0=50 +.5=62.5 +1=75 +1.5=87.5 +2=100

Then I’ll average them.

2016: 487.5 total points or a grade of 69.6

2017: 350 total points or a grade of 70

2018: 187.5 total points or a grade of 62.5

2019: 450 total points or a grade of 90

2020: 100 total points or a grade of 33.3

Overall: 1,575 total points or a grade of 68.5

However, if we take away last year since it’s really too early to tell on Fulton or Evans, his overall grade goes up to an impressive 73.75

What do you guys think?

Next up, Trades.

you’ve got a lot of free time! Cool post not gonna lie though I skipped a lot of it and scrolled down to the bottom to see what you graded him lol

Two thoughts...

1) I'm not sure this means anything if we don't compare to other GM's.

2) The Taywan Taylor grades seems a little harsh. I bet you didn't know that, in Taylor's 2nd year with the Tits, he had more catches and more yards than Jonnu has gotten in any of his 4 years. And we traded him for a draft pick.

1) If we assume that 50 would be the “expected” grade for an average GM, Jrob clearly has far more hits than misses and his grade reflects that.

2) I respect that but one year of average production would still leave him at zero or below at best. If others agree about Taywan, I’ll modify the grade.

1) If we assume that 50 would be the “expected” grade for an average GM, Jrob clearly has far more hits than misses and his grade reflects that.

2) I respect that but one year of average production would still leave him at zero or below at best. If others agree about Taywan, I’ll modify the grade.

Nah, it is your grade. Biggest thing about Taylor is that 2 of the 4 next WR's taken were Chris Godwin and Kenny Golladay.

I'd probably got lower on Sharper, higher on Evans, lower on Hooker, lower on Fulton, lower on the 2nd D Evans.

I don’t think we can assume the average grade is 50 though. Could be lower, could be higher. Obviously, not going to ask you to do every GM but that would be the only real way to compare them. (Paging Riverman). Hard to compare him against nothing, especially in this scenario where we are creating a new way to look at his performance.

I think your assessment of the picks so far is pretty fair and spot on. Good job. I think the Dodd (not sure why this one is so triggering) and Wilson picks really cloud the judgement for some posters on here. JRob has been pretty solid in the draft.

50 in sports isnt average

60-70 grades are average in order to just keep a job

JR flipped this roster on its head his first year, what he did was crazy turnover

Hes a good GM, were lucky to have him

Nice thread. Thanks for the effort. Two things:

A score between 2 and -2 might be a bit too narrow. I have no idea how much it should expand but A.J. Brown and Simmons have the same score though I think A.J. is considered a better WR than Simmons a DT compared to those who play their positions across the league.

Then you have the difference between a player who touches the ball vs. doesn't. Putting a value on a position in a team sport is challenging.

And I'd like to see a couple of other GMs ranked for comparison too.

Good read. Tough to really judge JRobs position without having graded enough other GM’s to know what the avg for a GM would be.

I also agree on the scale being too small per player which lead to a little inconsistency on the grading to me. Not awful by any means, but the Tajae ranking seems high in comparison to other WR but then Austin Johnson seems low because the crap below him is so closely ranked to him.

Also, if you're going rank a drafted player highly because he was pro bowl his rookie year, you really can't say "too early to tell" for other rookies who haven't done anything. That suggests bias for positive performance only.

Also, if you're going rank a drafted player highly because he was pro bowl his rookie year, you really can't say "too early to tell" for other rookies who haven't done anything. That suggests bias for positive performance only.

Who was pro bowl their rookie year?

Good read. Tough to really judge JRobs position without having graded enough other GM’s to know what the avg for a GM would be.

I also agree on the scale being too small per player which lead to a little inconsistency on the grading to me. Not awful by any means, but the Tajae ranking seems high in comparison to other WR but then Austin Johnson seems low because the crap below him is so closely ranked to him.
You’re welcome to do this for another GM. We should use Bill O’Brien as the comparison ;)

The narrow scale is based on the PFF system. I think a plus rating for Tajae is warranted given he was selected in the fifth and immediately came in and took a starting role. Then continued to be a productive reliable receiver for us throughout his tenure here. I’d love to have him back honestly.

You’re welcome to do this for another GM. We should use Bill O’Brien as the comparison ;)

The narrow scale is based on the PFF system. I think a plus rating for Tajae is warranted given he was selected in the fifth and immediately came in and took a starting role. Then continued to be a productive reliable receiver for us throughout his tenure here. I’d love to have him back honestly.
I get it and it took some time for you to rank each move, I like the read. I dont particularly like PFF and their rankings. I know in another thread it was discussed about the -2 to 2 parts but (at least without paying) there really isnt a break down by position of how they grade each play on what they call a mistake vs. a good play for example.

Football just has so much subjective pieces and so much individual play that relies on the efforts (or talent) of other players. GM included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back