Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
POLIAN POOPS ON ROOKIE POOL

The Colts have only one unsigned pick -- third-round linebacker Freddie Keiaho. And because the rookie pool increased by only five percent over 2005 while the rookie minimum salaries jumped by $45,000, the Colts apparently don't have enough room left on their rookie pool to give Keiaho the kind of deal his agent wants.

Colts G.M. Bill Polian has publicly blamed the system for the resulting impasse.

"This is a completely non-functional rookie system in this new Collective Bargaining Agreement. It has forced clubs to do things they never, ever would have done under the old system," Polian said.

"I can't imagine how it was constructed -- certainly not with the input of any football people. It's a problem which we understand. I'm not sure if we can solve it or not. We're going to work on that [Sunday night]. We've had communication and it continues.

"But the structure that [Keiaho's agent] wants is impossible under this system. I understand why he wants it and he's got every reason to ask for it, but it's impossible to do.

"It's the fault of the system. Not us or the agent."

We're not so sure we agree with Polian. Sure, the system is messed up. But it's the responsibility of every team to hold back enough pool space to permit every deal to be signed, especially as to the day one picks.

And it's also the responsibility of the agents to get the deals done, especially with the rookie pool triggering a game of musical chairs this year as to the remaining rookie pool money.

But regardless of how they got to this point, we agree with Polian's basic assessment -- with every other draft pick signed, a finite amount of rookie pool money remaining, and the 25-percent rule that limits the extent to which the deal can grow in each subsequent season, the Colts and Keiaho don't have many options.

They can do a deal based on the remaining rookie pool room. Or Keiaho can sign the one-year tender for $275,000. Or he can sit out the year and re-enter the draft.

Spend a buck and hire a financial analyst to crunch the numbers. To blame a system that you were aware of is ridiculous.

But haven't you heard Arrow? Polian is a master and the Colts will never be in salary cap hell. Nobody knows how he does it, but he's got it all figured out.

Broken Record said:
But haven't you heard Arrow? Polian is a master and the Colts will never be in salary cap hell. Nobody knows how he does it, but he's got it all figured out.

BR I think you forgot the

:rolleyes:

A while back we had a thread Reese vs Polian. I said then that Polian will blow up their cap and move on. With the new CBA it may bail the SOB out, but I hope not.

21477BPLooney-Tunes-Wile-E-Coyote.jpg

yeah, Im looking around the NFL- no one else is having this problem- sorry man, but looks like you forgot to read a few papers and you my friend are just out of luck

We're laughing now, but just wait, next year the CBA will be amended so that the darling of the NFL won't have these problems again....

SEC 330 BIPOLAR said:
I find it funny the blame is placed elsewhere...
Must be the way things are done in Indy. :ha:
He learned it from the Gayton himself

I liked where he whinned about the 25% rule that he was abusing to keep the geldings together.

Wile E. Polian definatly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back