Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
If given a choice, would the Texans trade the pick to a team they knew would take Young just to avoid him being a Titan?

Say they take Young to make the masses happy. Then it all but guarantees the Titans get Bush. Do you give your biggest rival a player that is likely to be a thorn in your side the next 6-8 years?

I don't see how they can win here if they go with this approach.

VolnTitan said:
To take Vince Young. When he first came out, I thought he was a lock to fall to us, but with Young coming out and saying he wants to play for the Texans and even if he isn't picked by them he will "always love Texas"....I know fans don't make the picks, but wow...the pressure will be intense.

Young didn't really say he "wants to play for the Texans." He diplomatically said he'd "love to play for the Texans," I believe. To me that's a big difference. You don't want to come on the air the week after the bowl and say "I do not want to play for the team with the #1 pick. I'd rather go to _______ if I had my choice."

I haven't watched the video in a while, but it can be found on espn.com. Go to the motion video section. It's about the fifth one down. That's where all this comes from. I'm sure he wouldn't hate it, I just don't think the statement is indicative of his preference.

GLinks said:
Young didn't really say he "wants to play for the Texans." He diplomatically said he'd "love to play for the Texans," I believe. To me that's a big difference. You don't want to come on the air the week after the bowl and say "I do not want to play for the team with the #1 pick. I'd rather go to _______ if I had my choice."

I haven't watched the video in a while, but it can be found on espn.com. Go to the motion video section. It's about the fifth one down. That's where all this comes from. I'm sure he wouldn't hate it, I just don't think the statement is indicative of his preference.

I see nothing wrong with that. Being modest shouldn't be in the equation when determining your future. If he politely says "I don't want to be a Texan for possibly the rest of my career", it will only help make the Texans make the right pick IMO. I wouldn't want to go down Eli Manning's alley where he sulked like a little girl on draft day; speak your mind, with courtesy, and it could help you in the long run.

On the other hand, Texans most likely could care less how a player feels about being drafted, unless they think he'd become a huge problem (although Vince doesn't strike me as that sort of player; too humble for that).

GLinks said:
I am starting to think they'll screw this up for us, even if it's not in their best interest.

We win in every scenerio. If they draft Young, fine, we'll get Bush. If they take Bush, we get either Young or Leinhart (if by some strange twist NO takes Young). If H-Town trades out, and whatever team trades out, we still get either Young or Bush.

At worst, we're forced to take Ferguson at #3. I'd still be fine with that.

I don't think he has a preference either. He's been making the rounds in Texas, but frankly, he lives and went to school there. Plus he justwon a championship for the whole damn state. Of course he'll make the rounds like to the Rockets game and what not. And of course they will ask him about the Texans. He has to say the right thing. It's his hometown. If he really wanted to be a Texan he'd be clear about it. But he came out early knowing he could go anywhere tween 1-7 so I think he understands anything can happen. He won't care what team he plays for.

Seems highly unlikely to me. All the frustration is with Brooks, and Leinhart is the exact opposite of Brooks, and has a Heisman to boot. I think it is a safe bet they won't make any moves and will take Leinhart. I'm not even sure what the Saints have said myself, but Leinhart seems like the obvious choice. In theory they have a great running back and probably don't want to go down the vince young road again. Plus they need a franchise name given their situation in order to sell. So they have to go big. No trading down for that reason alone. Leinhart fits more than the others, but anything can happen.

Personally, if Leinhart is available at the 3rd, I think the Titans should take him. He grades out higher than Vince Young anyway.

Houston could end up being smart and give up the #1 to the Jets in order to secure D'Brickashaw at a safer location. New Orleans could trade out to get Cutler. Just out-louding the surprise possibilites. We're still guaranteed to get one of the big three. (I'm tired of saying that phrase already.)

I think the pressure of the #1 may get to the Texans in the end. I only wonder who is most likely to grab that spot if that's the case. I think it's 55/45 Bush-Young for the Texans, even though Bush makes barely more sense for them. The only plus to Bush (since they already have a #1 overall pick in Carr) is he can go out wide also to complement AJ, and return. Not bad to have two dangerous returners, even if they already have Mathis.

Okay, for now, I've talked myself into thinking they'll stick and take Bush. However, if we can't have Young, I do want Bush. Leinart still leaves a feeling of disappointment (only given the draft choices).

On 1st and 10 on espn, Woody Paige and and Skip Bayless(??) Discussed the top 5 and said that the Texans could possibly sign and trade Carr to Houston opening up a spot for Young? While I believe its another meaningless predraft trade banter I thought it would be a good fit. They also discussed NO trading one of their many OL to The Texans to switch draft position that way the Texans get a much needed OL and a high first round pick. I know right now it means nothing but they seem like very possible trades.

The Texans may not listen much to the fans when it comes to draft choice, but you can believe they will listen to the Big Money/Corporate that happen to be Texas alums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back