Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
In the Draft Recap by Reese on Titansonline.com, Reese said they ended up picking positions of need in several situations this year when players were similar in rating.

I thought Reese had always said "BPA" as strict bottom line. Did he really have people graded so similarly, or is he changing his strategy as he gets older/the titans change.

Anyone with more of a historical perspective want to give their thoughts on that comment by Reese?

he usually goes BPA in the first round. then he'll go BPA in rounds 2-7 except if two players have similar grades, but one is at a need position.

Puck said:
well at the time, Lowry and Tulloch were NOT the BPA

In your opinion. Reese may have had them rated higher because he thought they would fit into our system well, etc. All we have to go on is the opinions of a bunch of goofy analysts.

If you have 2 players who grade out almost completely equal, why wouldn't you give the nod to the player who fills a hole?

It makes good sense to me...

Drafting Olinemen

What happened to us picking up some quality offensive linemen? We got some great picks (young) some ever greater steals (white and jessie) but we didnt address our need at all on the OL!:grrr: :grrr:

while I can see that your statements have merit
there were guys there that we all would have liked to see

my statement was more directed towards Nande going after both
who was graded higher by almost all the sources I researched

The Titans drafted three OL last year. And two the year before. Unless they plan on releasing Piller, there's really no room unless you want to bump one of these young guys who the team has worked to develop.

TitanJeff said:
The Titans drafted three OL last year. And two the year before. Unless they plan on releasing Piller, there's really no room unless you want to bump one of these young guys who the team has worked to develop.

Jeff, with Hopkins retiring I wouldn't have minded us taking another tackle, especially with consideration of Olsen/Pillar potentially being cut.

If Roos, Stewart, Loper and Bell are your four OTs, where does a draft pick go? Maybe Bell and Stewart are also considered Gs but you also have Amano who can back up both C and G.

I wanted the Georgia monster G in the fourth. But Reese apparently didn't see any value when the Titans picked today.

There is one spot open and I think the Titans will look at the waiver wire or get some UFA help for depth.

There is always the outside chance Brad could come back- at a reduced salary. Yeah, I know, the odds are worse on this than for Mac.

Actually Jeff, Philly scooped up MJG a few picks in front of us (#99 i think)
I wish we'd got that pick instead of their #116

had MJG been on the board when we selected, he'd been psycho to pass

ya true, but do u also think that had we been 1 pick higher we would have gotten darnell bing as a saftey instead of the guy that we got from penn state??

Jeff, I don't know if any of them except Roos are long term solutions at tackle. I'd have been more comfortable if Stewart got to play more last year, but even in scrub games I don't think he got much playtime. While Bell was good at Guard I don't know if he can move to tackle. On top of BHop leaving I expect significant o-line turnover in the next 1-2 yrs, so this is a year to add youth again. Olsen and Pillar are very expensive right now, and actually sortof expect one to be cut this year. Mawae likely doesn't have too many more years in him at 35. I guess it's just that I have lots of concerns there.

I agree though, I'd feel better if we brought in another o-lineman udfa or off of the waiver wire at this point.

GhostZ said:
ya true, but do u also think that had we been 1 pick higher we would have gotten darnell bing as a saftey instead of the guy that we got from penn state??

On Bing :

Bing is an inconsistent player. He does not play aggressively on every snap. He often is a beat late breaking upfield against the run, does not fight through blocks and often only tackles when he is the last man left. He gets out of control when tackling, which leads to him stopping his feet before contact, diving and lunging, which leads to too many missed tackles. He does not consistently take good angles to the ball in run support and will overrun some tackles. He does not consistently pick up the tight end on play fakes and allows the tight end to get separation behind him. He is occasionally a beat late reading and reacting to the passer and does not break and close quick enough to make plays on the ball.

with this information in hand, I don't think they would have

Lowry (while not the marquee that Bing is) is surprisingly a polar opposite almost of this. Lowry is very tenacious and flys to the ball and has very good instincts. the fact that he can return didn't hurt his stock either

however, I still think we took him a little early
but Kiper loved the guy ,so why ask why ?

On Lowry :

Lowry is a tough safety who consistently is around the ball making plays. He reads the run fast and comes up quickly in support. He takes good angles to the ball and can break down and tackle well out in space when he stays over his feet and under control. He closes quickly on the ball carrier and has shown ability to run through and make hard and physical tackles. His instincts, quick feet and burst help him to get outside to make hits on the receiver right after he catches the ball, and to break and close quickly on passes in front of him. He shows good instincts and reactions getting out to the flat to tackle the running back right after the catch on a screen pass.

I think Calvin Lowry reminds Jeff Fisher of a younger Jeff Fisher

exactly
Bing projected more to OLB than he did SS in the pros
he's a big kid
and is a little too reckless to be your safety net

smili said:
Jeff, I don't know if any of them except Roos are long term solutions at tackle. I'd have been more comfortable if Stewart got to play more last year, but even in scrub games I don't think he got much playtime.
Fisher rarely will play a up and coming player over a vet. It ticked me off to not see someone like Stewart given the opportunity when the games didn't mean anything.

But Fisher & Munch see how these guys perform in practice. They know how much they were pushing the player ahead of them regardless of whether or not they received game experience. I suspect we'll see both Bell and Stewart given the opportunity to win the position throughout camp and the preseason. If neither are able to play to the level needed, then there will be option such as a FA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back