Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did I have a blackout? Am I living in a parallel (sp) universe? I swear I've seen this EXACT thread before. I mean from GoT having to explain SGWB, to the holes in the defense to references to BB and the Freak...

I'm not searching for it, but I swear I'm having a wicked case of deja vu' (and not the good kind, with 1000 beautiful women and 3 ugly ones)

Honestly...I think a lot of that was carry over from Greg Williams defensive philosophy. Schwartz takes no chances...loves the zone..which allows offenses (like the Colts) to drive right down the field on us. I can hear people saying it already.."well if we blitz all the time we give up the big plays..." I say so be it..it's not like we're stopping anybody anyway. Let's at least give our team a chance for a big sack or a turnover from being agressive rather than passive. Anybody agree with me?

I love Greg Williams, and I think he was a better D.C. than Schwartz, but to say the good years that our defense has had under J.S. were all because of Williams' philosophy and the bad years were all Schwartz's fault is insane. Do you think Williams could have had our defense at the top of the league either of the last two years?

No, I'm not saying that at all. I just think the 'attitude' of our defense for the first couple of seasons under Schwartz was a reflection of Williams. I don't think Williams would have had a top defense if he were our DC last year, but I DO think we would have been much more aggressive and at least given our D a chance at changing some games. Schwartz is just too finesse for me. It works in some places, I just prefer a bad *** mean defense that will punish people.

dontdraftCutler said

No, I'm not saying that at all. I just think the 'attitude' of our defense for the first couple of seasons under Schwartz was a reflection of Williams. I don't think Williams would have had a top defense if he were our DC last year, but I DO think we would have been much more aggressive and at least given our D a chance at changing some games. Schwartz is just too finesse for me. It works in some places, I just prefer a bad *** mean defense that will punish people.

I think that is as much a reflection of our players as of the coaching style. Most of the guys on our defense now are so young that they don't have time to be mean, they are just trying to figure out what their assignment is for the next play. I will grant you this though, if the defense doesn't show marked improvement this year, with the recent experienced additions, then I will be the first to lay the blame at the coaching staff's feet.

Year Points Allowed
2000 191
2001 388
2002 324
2003 324
2004 439
2005 421

If you can idnetify the season Williams left as DC from this list then quite simply you should understand why MbSGWB is such a soul crushing disaster as DC - dehr Schwartzie is the anchor that is dragging the franchise towards the bottom of the NFL in D.

in 2002 and 2003 the Titans managed to win DESPITE MbSGWb being DC. Truly a testemant to McMVP and EG.

GoT: Where are you getting your stats? I'm just curious because I haven't been able to find anywhere to get team stats that are very detailed or go back very far. Thanks.

Da Schwartz is not with us, he's ON us!

This is one of those calls I got right. I've been saying for a few years this guy was a dud...OK, a below avg DC and still some people don't believe it!

Amazing!

NO DC could have put us at #1 D the last 2 years, but Gregg Williams would have put us MUCH higher up. Case in point, 2 years ago Williams had LESS to work with on Washington and there D was the ONLY reason they were in games. He took guys I'VE never even heard of and got them to produce. The flip side is, we have a lot of talent on this D and what are we getting for it?

Not much!!!

Give me a good reason to say Schwartz is a good DC and I have 5 to show you why he's NOT!

Gut

I'm not comparing Williams and Schwartz. I think Williams is perhaps the best D.C. in the league. But compared to other D.C.'s in the league, and when looking at his overall production, I just don't understand this hatred of Schwartz. He is no Greg Williams, but who is?

And to claim that we have had talent the last few seasons is laughable. Talent?!?!?!? Compared to who? Our starters are talented, after that the drop off is considerable, and when you lose starters to injuries, we have nothing left. We could do a player by player breakdown to analyze how talented our defense actually is and I am confident it would not look very good.

Our D is pretty nasty now, give them time to Gel...
KVB, Albert H, TLB, Odom, Bulluck, Thornton, Pacman, Hill, Hope, LOOK OUT AFC!

I'm not a huge Schwartz supporter but when taking into consideration the players and running game the last few years you can't blame much on him.

Last year we started two rookie CBs and one crippled S. Don't forget the crippled OLB and athletically challenged MLB (how the heck do you stop the run with that group?). Until the emergence of KVB we have not had a true pass rushing DE for years. Even in Kearse's last few years he wasn't anything close to the player he was his first two years.

Going back to 2001 we had a couple of seasons where the defense was decimated by injury. About that same time we saw the demise of our running game. Running the ball down teams throats and controlling the clock was something Williams had the luxury of when he was here. The decline in talent on defense and the erosion of the power running game was off-set by the emergence of McNair as a passing QB which kept the team competitive but eventually when the CAP really started to take its toll things fell apart completely. If we don't see strong improvement this year I'll get on the hate Schwartz bandwagon but right now I want to see what he can do with a notch better talent.

Hopefully our CB play (assuming Pacman isn't in the State pen) will be improved as those guys head into their second year. We should be better at LB and S as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back