Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Draft Picks Visits/Interviews are a big deal for teams interested in a prospect. Even so much to the point where tendencies can be spotted if you actually put pen to paper.

The only exception to the rule was 2018 where Rashaan Evans was taken in 1st as opposed to Harold Landry. But there could have been a number of reasons for #2 position evaluated leaping the 1st --- as we traded up in both scenarios - but let all that be discussed in the comments. (also as "Safety in 2018" is omitted as it was a 4th round pick & not a 3rd.)

When broken down, all 3 of our first 3 draft picks the past 3 years, have made some kind of visit/interview made public to the media. Even moreover, all 3 (2019, 2018, 2017) also were the most scouted/evaluated positions.

2019 - QB 2 RB 3 WR *6* TE 3 OL *8* DL/E *19* LB 3 CB 5 S 5

(19) DL/E - Jeffery Simmons, (6) WR - AJ Brown, (8) OL - Nate Davis

2018 - QB 6 RB 3 WR 8 TE 2 OL 3 DL/E *10* LB *7* CB 4 S 6

(7) LB - Rashaan Evans, , (10) DL/E - Harold Landry (6) S - Dane Cruikshank

2017 - QB 1 RB 2 WR *11* TE 4 OL 4 DL/E *9* LB 5 CB *10* S 2

(11) WR - Corey Davis (10) CB - Adoree Jackson (11) WR - Taywan Taylor

This year, per WF, PFF, and other spaced out single sources - the position groups that have made visits/workouts/interviews/facetimes that are available to the media are as follows:

(covid-19 also having an affect on most OFFICIAL 30 visits.)

QB 2 RB 2 WR 4 TE 0 OL *4* DL/E *7* LB 0 CB *6* S 1

That breaks down to DL/E 1st round, CB 2nd round, and Offensive Lineman 3rd round. [You could try to make a case for a WR, but I'm not expecting a 4th WR selected in the 2nd round... for a PA Pass/Run first offense...]

So if you take all the history of JROB taking most evaluated positions, coupled with lists of visits/interviews made -- you can make a pretty educated assumption

1st round. DL/E: Broken down to back end first round possibilites:

Terrell Lewis - Alabama. Marlon Davidson - Auburn. Jonathan Greenard - Florida.

Who I'm expecting?: Terrell Lewis

2nd round. CB: Broken down to back end second round possibilites:

Damon Arnette - Ohio State. Cameron Dantzler - Miss St.

Who I'm expecting?: Damon Arnette

3rd round. OL: Broken down to back end third round possibilites:

Robert Hunt - La-Lafayette. Cameron Clarke - Charlotte

Who I'm expecting?: Robert Hunt

Terrell Lewis seems the least likely to me. Tape isn't super impressive, he's very raw (we need an immediate contributor), and has injury concerns. We know JRob loves experience and position flexibility. For that reason, I think Marlon Davidson is our first pick, whether we trade down or take him at 29.

I also think the Clowney situation may play into this. If he's been in touch with Clowney's agent and believes he can sign him after the draft, a need for DL becomes less pressing in 1st round.

Terrell Lewis seems the least likely to me. Tape isn't super impressive, he's very raw (we need an immediate contributor), and has injury concerns. We know JRob loves experience and position flexibility. For that reason, I think Marlon Davidson is our first pick, whether we trade down or take him at 29.

I also think the Clowney situation may play into this. If he's been in touch with Clowney's agent and believes he can sign him after the draft, a need for DL becomes less pressing in 1st round.

Ross blacklock > Marlon Davidson

Terrell Lewis and Marlon Davidson play totally different positions....Lewis is an OLBer who might put his hand in the dirt over a guard occasionally while Davidson is a 3 and 5 technique guy.

I like Davidson over Blacklock because he has made more impact plays in college.....size and athletic ability are fairly equal....so the production gives Davidson the nod in my evaluation.

hope to not have to pick either in the 1st

Davidsons tape is super underwhelming to me. Looks like a tweaner guy who will struggle to find a role in the nfl. Hes not that good when he moves inside and put his hand in the dirt from what I've seen. I also find it really hard to believe that he will have success rushing the passer with his lack of pass rushing moves, athleticism or bend. He looks like a poor man's epenesa. Epenesa can engage blockers with his long arms and get off run blocks. Epenesa also has a true bull rush that will work in the league. Davidson kind of just throws his body into blockers and hopes for the best. And sometimes it works but alot of times it doesn't.

Blacklock might not have the stats( mostly because Davidson and him had different roles in college), but he has alot of things Davidson doesn't. Blacklock has extreme burst that is very visible on tape especially compared to Davidson. Blacklock also uses his hands and eyes unlike davidson. Blacklock takes on double teams really nicely while Davidson gets punmeled by double teams.

In my opinion, its not even close..we will see though.

Davidsons tape is super underwhelming to me. Looks like a tweaner guy who will struggle to find a role in the nfl. Hes not that good when he moves inside and put his hand in the dirt from what I've seen. I also find it really hard to believe that he will have success rushing the passer with his lack of pass rushing moves, athleticism or bend. He looks like a poor man's epenesa. Epenesa can engage blockers with his long arms and get off run blocks. Epenesa also has a true bull rush that will work in the league. Davidson kind of just throws his body into blockers and hopes for the best. And sometimes it works but alot of times it doesn't.

Blacklock might not have the stats( mostly because Davidson and him had different roles in college), but he has alot of things Davidson doesn't. Blacklock has extreme burst that is very visible on tape especially compared to Davidson. Blacklock also uses his hands and eyes unlike davidson. Blacklock takes on double teams really nicely while Davidson gets punmeled by double teams.

In my opinion, its not even close..we will see though.

I like Blaylock as well, and most boards I've seen do have him considerably higher than Davidson.

Blacklock is a terror in the middle. Big time motor, great leverage, always disruptive. Exactly what we need....
Would looooove to see him and Simmons together in the middle for the indefinite future.

Sidenote: Would be very interesting to see us invest so much in the DL. Especially because Vrable and Robinson are Belichick disciples, and the Pats are typically a back to front defense, investing most of their money in a strong secondary, and limited resources in their DL rotations.

Broke these meetings down by projected round and positional rank (pulled from walterfootball).
Sure seems to point to CB round 1 and DL round 2

PLAYER ROUND RANK
C.J. Henderson, CB, Florida (PRI) 1-2 CB2
Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State (PRI) 1-2 CB3
Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State (VIR) 1-2 CB5
Kristian Fulton^, CB, LSU (COM, VIR) 1-2 CB6
Austin Jackson, OT, USC (VIR) 1-2 OT6
Josh Jones^, OT, Houston (PRI, VIR) 1-2 OT5
Justin Madubuike, DT, Texas A&M (PRI) 1-2 DT3
Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU (VIR) 1-2 WR8
Ross Blacklock, DT/3-4DE, TCU (VIR) 1-3 DE4
Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor (VIR) 1-3 WR9
Marlon Davidson, DE/3-4DE, Auburn (VIR) 1-3 DE5
Jon Greenard^, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Florida (PRI, VIR) 1-3 ED4
Terrell Lewis, DE/3-4OLB, Alabama (VIR) 1-3 ED6
Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU (VIR) 2-3 CB10
Ke'Shawn Vaughn, RB, Vanderbilt (COM) 3-5 RB8
Larrell Murchison, DT, N.C. State (VIR) 3-5 DT9
Leki Fotu, DT/3-4DE/NT, Utah (VIR) 3-5 DE10
Robert Windsor, DT/3-4DE, Penn State (VIR) 3-5 DE12
James Lynch, DE, Baylor (COM) 3-5 DE17
James Morgan, QB, Florida International (VIR) 3-5 QB8
Alton Robinson, DE/OLB, Syracuse (VIR) 4-6 DE20
Cameron Clark, OT, Charlotte (EW) 4-6 OT15
Alohi Gilman, S, Notre Dame (VIR) 4-6 S22
Casey Toohill, OLB, Stanford (VIR) 4-6 OLB13
Amik Robertson^, CB, Louisiana Tech (COM, VIR) 6-7 CB36
Malcolm Perry, WR, Navy (EW) 6-FA WR48
Ron'dell Carter, DE, James Madison (VIR) FA NA
Quartney Davis, WR, Texas A&M (COM) FA NA
Alex Pechin, P, Bucknell (EW) FA NA
John Penisini, DT, Utah (EW) FA NA
Isaiah Rodgers, CB, Massachusetts (VIR) FA NA
Derrek Tuszka, DE, North Dakota State (VIR) FA NA
Dallas Warmack, G, Oregon (VIR) FA NA
Alex Highsmith, DE, Charlotte (VIR) FA NA
Robert Hunt, OT, La.-Lafayette (VIR) FA NA

Broke these meetings down by projected round and positional rank (pulled from walterfootball).
Sure seems to point to CB round 1 and DL round 2

PLAYER ROUND RANK
C.J. Henderson, CB, Florida (PRI) 1-2 CB2
Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State (PRI) 1-2 CB3
Cameron Dantzler, CB, Mississippi State (VIR) 1-2 CB5
Kristian Fulton^, CB, LSU (COM, VIR) 1-2 CB6
Austin Jackson, OT, USC (VIR) 1-2 OT6
Josh Jones^, OT, Houston (PRI, VIR) 1-2 OT5
Justin Madubuike, DT, Texas A&M (PRI) 1-2 DT3
Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU (VIR) 1-2 WR8
Ross Blacklock, DT/3-4DE, TCU (VIR) 1-3 DE4
Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor (VIR) 1-3 WR9
Marlon Davidson, DE/3-4DE, Auburn (VIR) 1-3 DE5
Jon Greenard^, DE/3-4OLB/OLB, Florida (PRI, VIR) 1-3 ED4
Terrell Lewis, DE/3-4OLB, Alabama (VIR) 1-3 ED6
Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU (VIR) 2-3 CB10
Ke'Shawn Vaughn, RB, Vanderbilt (COM) 3-5 RB8
Larrell Murchison, DT, N.C. State (VIR) 3-5 DT9
Leki Fotu, DT/3-4DE/NT, Utah (VIR) 3-5 DE10
Robert Windsor, DT/3-4DE, Penn State (VIR) 3-5 DE12
James Lynch, DE, Baylor (COM) 3-5 DE17
James Morgan, QB, Florida International (VIR) 3-5 QB8
Alton Robinson, DE/OLB, Syracuse (VIR) 4-6 DE20
Cameron Clark, OT, Charlotte (EW) 4-6 OT15
Alohi Gilman, S, Notre Dame (VIR) 4-6 S22
Casey Toohill, OLB, Stanford (VIR) 4-6 OLB13
Amik Robertson^, CB, Louisiana Tech (COM, VIR) 6-7 CB36
Malcolm Perry, WR, Navy (EW) 6-FA WR48
Ron'dell Carter, DE, James Madison (VIR) FA NA
Quartney Davis, WR, Texas A&M (COM) FA NA
Alex Pechin, P, Bucknell (EW) FA NA
John Penisini, DT, Utah (EW) FA NA
Isaiah Rodgers, CB, Massachusetts (VIR) FA NA
Derrek Tuszka, DE, North Dakota State (VIR) FA NA
Dallas Warmack, G, Oregon (VIR) FA NA
Alex Highsmith, DE, Charlotte (VIR) FA NA
Robert Hunt, OT, La.-Lafayette (VIR) FA NA

Cool post. Was wondering , would you be able to put like a top 5 players you want at like de, dt, cb and wr? I've agreed with most of your draft related posts so just curious as our first 3 picks are likely going to be within those positions, maybe tackle too

Cool post. Was wondering , would you be able to put like a top 5 players you want at like de, dt, cb and wr? I've agreed with most of your draft related posts so just curious as our first 3 picks are likely going to be within those positions, maybe tackle too
I appreciate that. I focus on the skill positions for my draft analysis as I'm really into dynasty & devy fantasy football. I lean on others pretty heavily for the other positions.
But I can give you my WR rankings:
1. Ceedee Lamb
2. Jerry Jeudy
-tier break-
3. Henry Ruggs (real football, much lower in fantasy)
4. Jalen Reagor
5. Denzel Mims
6. Justin Jefferson
-tier break-
7. Bryan Edwards
8. Laviska Shenault
9. Michael Pittman
10. Tee Higgins
11. Brandon Aiyuk
-tier break-
12. KJ Hamler
13. Lynn Bowden
14. Devin Duvernay
15. Tyler Johnson
16. Donovan Peoples-Jones
17. Gabriel Davis
18. Chase Claypool
19. Van Jefferson
20. Marquez Callaway
21. Quez Watkins

I'd say anyone after the first 3 is in play for the titans. I have us going CB and DL in the first 2 rounds so round 3 WRs are likely to be guys in my 7-11 range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back