Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: LB Peter Sirmon has requested the Titans release him via a fax to GM Floyd Reese. "I have enjoyed my time here in Tennessee, but with the uncertainty surrounding my situation with the Titans, I think it’s best to turn the page and move on with my career," Sirmon said. The Titans signed David Thornton this week who would likely play in Sirmon's position. There has been some speculation of moving Sirmon to the middle which would mean less playing time because of the amount of use of the nickel formation. "I have no problem at all competing for a position, if it’s a true competition", said Sirmon. "I have complete confidence in my abilities to do so, but I also know how the business works sometimes if you’re the odd man out or you’re a player who is only on the field for 30 or 40 percent of the snaps." Sirmon has one year remaining on his contract with a cap hit of $4.6 million, including a base of $2.4 million, the amount that would be saved if the Titans grant his request.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

I'm stunned. I don't know why. Pete seems like a proud guy, I guess it makes sense that he would want to get more playing time. I think it sucks. But after last year, I almost don't care who they cut or who wants off this team.
I like Pete and I wish him well in the future. I love getting the 2.4 million back though.

I can understand Sirmon wanting to make the move now but I don't care for him asking for this through the media. He's lost his position and the Titans appear ready to bring someone in there too. Reynolds should be ready to step in at some point so the writing is on the wall for him and chances are he might be released at some point anyway.

Maybe Reese can shop him around a bit. Anyone have a #2 safety with experience who might need him? I'd take a fourth-rounder for him.

I think Sirmon for Ed Reed is fair. Even add in Lamont Thompson.

In all seriousness I doubt we will get anything except a draft pick and maybe a scrub for Sirmon. I can't think of any #2 safties who are half way decent.

mabye a swap with the browns for jeff faine? or SK would know if hes released do we save the 2.4 mill cause that would be some extra cash to get hope, greisen in here

So now a Mike is a must, either at FA or at the 1st- 2nd round, cause we need a starter right now, and I dont know how many of the MLBs in the draft can step up for the job right away.

I really don't know why he wants to leave. I mean the only thing that can make him wanna leave is the fact that the Titans use Nickle a lot.

Can we get a 3rd for him?
(probably NO)

The writing was on the wall for Pete after not contributing the last 2 years. First they declined his option bonus. Then they gave away his position. They can't tell him what his role is now. And they are still looking at more LBs. He had to know that his job was in serious jeopardy.

I don't blame him for wanting out. It's easier to get a good contract now that it will be after the draft. That's not to that that I'd just cut him, but once they look around and find that he has no trade value (or maybe we'll get some late pick), that may be the way we go anyway...

I'm not surprised by this at all. Going to a new position, playing fewer snaps, the possibility of having to be shopped around after the season at the new position, a couple of years removed from your last good period at your natural position...it makes sense for him to ask for a release...just not the way he did it.

I'm disappointed he's worried about competition. I'd think he'd do well in the middle myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back