Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
I saw this on Yahoo re: the supplemental draft. Some may be interested

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jm-supplemental062206&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

excerpt:
Virginia linebacker Ahmad Brooks, Texas fullback Ahmard Hall, Iowa State defensive end/linebacker Jason Berryman and Hutchinson (Kan.) Junior College linebacker Dave Dixon have gained entry to the NFL supplemental draft on July 13, according to the league's player personnel office.

i've heard of dixon before.

"Regarded as the premier junior college linebacker in the country in 2004, Dixon joined the work force in 2005 and did not play football. He originally planned to enroll at Kansas State in 2006, but decided to declare for the NFL Draft instead. Few athletes in the draft possess the athletic ability Dixon displays -- running a 4.42-second 40-yard dash, with a 44-inch vertical jump, 49-inch triple jump and a 465-pound bench press. That leaping ability was evident as he blocked ten kicks in two seasons in the junior college ranks."

"He led the junior college ranks with 161 tackles (112 solos) and set school and conference single-season records with 43 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He blocked five kicks, caused four fumbles and intercepted two passes while recording 8.5 sacks. He gained 81 yards on three punt returns (27.0 avg) and 306 yards on eleven kickoff returns (27.8 avg)."

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/insider/draft/2006/biosdetail.aspx?fname=David&lname=Dixon&pos=LB

bigtitan53279 said:
i've heard of dixon before.

"Regarded as the premier junior college linebacker in the country in 2004, Dixon joined the work force in 2005 and did not play football. He originally planned to enroll at Kansas State in 2006, but decided to declare for the NFL Draft instead. Few athletes in the draft possess the athletic ability Dixon displays -- running a 4.42-second 40-yard dash, with a 44-inch vertical jump, 49-inch triple jump and a 465-pound bench press. That leaping ability was evident as he blocked ten kicks in two seasons in the junior college ranks."

"He led the junior college ranks with 161 tackles (112 solos) and set school and conference single-season records with 43 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He blocked five kicks, caused four fumbles and intercepted two passes while recording 8.5 sacks. He gained 81 yards on three punt returns (27.0 avg) and 306 yards on eleven kickoff returns (27.8 avg)."

http://www2.jsonline.com/packer/insider/draft/2006/biosdetail.aspx?fname=David&lname=Dixon&pos=LB
That guy is insane! A linebacker that does all that and still manages to return kicks and punts?

I'd say this guy would have a better chance of making our roster than say Spencer Toone, for instance. I might offer a 5th for this guy. Probably a much better prospect for us than Ahmad Brooks. What do we have, 8 LBs right now? I'd consider taking this kid perhaps, and dropping Toone and Spencer/Reynolds if necessary. We'd have tremendous speed/depth between Bulluck/Thornton and Nande/Dixon.

Sounds like Dixon could also back up the middle or outside with his size/speed, not to mention contribute significantly on special teams. Yeah, I might take a chance on this kid.

Yeah, but those ARE JUCO stats too. if you are that good, a big time college team will find a way to get you on the field. There must be something else going on.

Yeah, academic trouble and he was going to work then go to another school. Instead of going to another school, he's entering the supplemental draft.

I wouldnt mind seeing the Titans draft Toone with the 5th "round"
Bulluck, Sirmon, Thorton with Dixon, Nande, and Tulluch backing up. Wow, young and fast.

From Yahoo Sports

Ex-Texas fullback Ahmard Hall worked out in front of scouts from the Packers and Tennessee Titans inside the Longhorns' practice bubble on Thursday. Hall, who had previously impressed scouts at the school's pro day in late March, decided to stick with those results and not risk possible injury, but he did catch passes after measuring in at 5-10 and 236 pounds.

Interesting.

Gunny said:
From Yahoo Sports

Ex-Texas fullback Ahmard Hall worked out in front of scouts from the Packers and Tennessee Titans inside the Longhorns' practice bubble on Thursday. Hall, who had previously impressed scouts at the school's pro day in late March, decided to stick with those results and not risk possible injury, but he did catch passes after measuring in at 5-10 and 236 pounds.

Interesting.

Yeah didn't you hear, we're low on runningbacks... :lol:

Here's a good breakdown of the top four guys out there.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/supdraft06free.php

I like the part on Jason Berryman where he punches a guy in the face for no reason then steals his cell phone so he can't call the police. The police DO come and he denies the theft until they call the number and the phone starts ringing in his pocket! What a jackass!

I kind of think we should use a pick now on the supplemental for the sole reason that we'll be selecting third in each round, ahead of Miami and Green Bay, where as next year the same pick will be dead last in each round having just won the Super Bowl. So you see it kinda makes sense to use it now.

Dangermode said:
I kind of think we should use a pick now on the supplemental for the sole reason that we'll be selecting third in each round, ahead of Miami and Green Bay, where as next year the same pick will be dead last in each round having just won the Super Bowl. So you see it kinda makes sense to use it now.

heh.. i like your thoughts.

but...
i think that the supplemental draft works differently. i thought it was like a lottery. every team submits their picks.... say you have three teams with a 4th rounder for brooks... then they kinda flip for it... or draw a name out of a hat so to speak.

i could be completely wrong here but thats what i remember reading last year when we were talking about the supplemental draft

Dangermode said:
Here's a good breakdown of the top four guys out there.

Dangermode, thanks for the link. Dixon actually sounds like the upside potential guy that Reese likes to take a shot on. Maybe a late round pick? I'd think the character issues on Brooks and Berryman keep us away. I don't see where the Texas fullback fits in given our crowded backfield already.

paraconspiracy said:
heh.. i like your thoughts.

but...
i think that the supplemental draft works differently. i thought it was like a lottery. every team submits their picks.... say you have three teams with a 4th rounder for brooks... then they kinda flip for it... or draw a name out of a hat so to speak.

i could be completely wrong here but thats what i remember reading last year when we were talking about the supplemental draft

This is what the Wikipidia says about the Supplemental Draft:

Supplemental Draft:
In late summer, the NFL also holds a Supplemental Draft to accommodate players who did not enter the regular draft because they thought they still had academic eligibility to play college football. The supplemental draft maintains the same team order from the regular draft, with the team with the worst record in the previous season picking first. However, in the supplemental draft, a team is not required to use any picks. Instead, if a team wants a player in the supplemental draft, they submit a "bid" to the Commissioner with the round they would pick that player. If no other team places a bid on that player at an earlier spot, the team is awarded the player and has to give up an equivalent pick in the following year's draft. (For example, RB Tony Hollings was taken by the Houston Texans in the second round of the Supplemental Draft in 2003. Thus in the 2004 NFL Draft, the Texans forfeited a second-round pick).

While the Wikipidia is not always accurate, I do know that Cleveland traded up in the 1985 Supplemental to get Bernie Kosar which would not be possible in a "Lottery" situation. Of course, I could be totally wrong on all accounts.:brow:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back