Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to back you up here

a few months back during an interview (not sure if it was 104 or 106) but they were interviewing Chow. they asked him if Matt was there @ #3 would they take him and he said "probably not", he also went on to say that Matt is a rung or two lower on the QB ladder than Carson.

i just did a google search for the transcript and couldn't find it
sorry Jeff, no concrete proof; but believe me, Norm isn't overwhelmed

Puck said:
a few months back during an interview (not sure if it was 104 or 106) but they were interviewing Chow. they asked him if Matt was there @ #3 would they take him and he said "probably not", he also went on to say that Matt is a rung or two lower on the QB ladder than Carson.
I have a hard time believing Chow would say this even if he felt that way. If he did, then it was an unprofessional comment to make.

i agree

don't quote me word for word, but it made enough of an impact on me to remember that he wasn't as high on Matt as he was on Carson

Absolutely no way is Brick a third pick. Number one, listen to the Gallery take previously posted. Number two, quarterback, running back, and linebacker are more urgent at the present time, given returning players.

rhobbs said:
Absolutely no way is Brick a third pick. Number one, listen to the Gallery take previously posted. Number two, quarterback, running back, and linebacker are more urgent at the present time, given returning players.
you guys do know that gallery is starting at RT because their original LT is playing at a pretty high level, right? it's not like he sucks the big one and doesnt have the foot speed to play on the left side.

and i dont see how runningback is a more pressing need since we have two guys under 26 who have rushed for over 1,000 yards in their careers when we have a 35 year old left tackle who might retire.

Neither can I see Brick or Hawk at #3, not this year.

If we can get our QB, now is the perfect time to do it. Forecasting McNair with 2 more years or so being our starter, you can ease him out next year and plug in our rookie in the 4th if ever we have a lead. Now is the time to make the transition at QB.

Running game being suspect, if Bush is available, meaning in all reasonable likelihood both QBs are gone, he will add an electrifying dimension to our offense in general. Again, he is a burner in both the running game and passing game. (How's this for an analogy?) He would be the dilithium crystal to Chow's "Enterprise." Can't pass on that either.

We have Roos, who has the talent to play the left side, and may be better suited there in the end than at RT. Hopkins could always play another year if necessary, and the draft is fairly deep at the position.

Linebacker is clearly a priority, but like offensive tackle, there is depth in this draft - maybe moreso. Also, we can consider veteran help here.

Taking Hawk or Ferguson at #3 would be foolish this year if we could fall back a spot or three and still get one of them and an extra pick or two.

Again, keep in mind, you can sell the #3 pick as though it were #1 this year. Why give that up unless you have to? And why would you have to?

bigtitan53279 said:
you guys do know that gallery is starting at RT because their original LT is playing at a pretty high level, right? it's not like he sucks the big one and doesnt have the foot speed to play on the left side.

and i dont see how runningback is a more pressing need since we have two guys under 26 who have rushed for over 1,000 yards in their careers when we have a 35 year old left tackle who might retire.

I understand how a top tackle helps our offense, but who says he has to be our first pick? As nice as it is, he isn't the only option. Running back, IMHO, this year is more shallow at the top than OT. You've got 4 top notch RBs, and I'm not sure what you've really got with #4 (Maroney).

And whatever about Chris and Travis - if you've got someone more suited to the O, take him, and lose one of the other guys. Trade one if you can, and fill another hole.

Trading back is the only way we take Ferguson, and in all likelihood, that means the Jets, who could really say no if they wanted to, which would either force us to take D'Brick at #3 (no) leaving a steal for NYJ (double no) or trading back out of reach (aw hellllll no, for fans of Brick at 3) forcing us to refocus on another player set altogther, which might actually happen. The first two probably won't.

im not saying draft ferguson at #3, in fact im against drafting tackles in the top 5. i just didnt understand why everyone was so down on gallery.

GLinks said:
I understand how a top tackle helps our offense, but who says he has to be our first pick? As nice as it is, he isn't the only option. Running back, IMHO, this year is more shallow at the top than OT. You've got 4 top notch RBs, and I'm not sure what you've really got with #4 (Maroney).

And whatever about Chris and Travis - if you've got someone more suited to the O, take him, and lose one of the other guys. Trade one if you can, and fill another hole.

Trading back is the only way we take Ferguson, and in all likelihood, that means the Jets, who could really say no if they wanted to, which would either force us to take D'Brick at #3 (no) leaving a steal for NYJ (double no) or trading back out of reach (aw hellllll no, for fans of Brick at 3) forcing us to refocus on another player set altogther, which might actually happen. The first two probably won't.

But you're grading the prospects based on what other teams might do. We need to pick the best player for our team that's available. Get another pick out of a team if possible, but that shouldn't factor into the final decision if no one bites.

Titans2008 said:
We need to pick the best player for our team that's available.
That's a key ...... best for OUR team :winker:

Get another pick out of a team if possible, but that shouldn't factor into the final decision if no one bites.

oh someone will bite..... there's a consoderable drop off in talent around #5
and there's even a drop in 4&5 (Fergy / Hawk)
someone will want to move up to 3

What I'm saying is that we should have one player in mind and a good idea of where he will be picked (at least by the time the first 2 players have been selected and we're on the clock). We shouldn't drop lower than the first possible spot that player will be chosen. So making a trade with the number 5 slot may not be in our best interest if our top choice is the Brick since its very likely the Jets might nab him at 4.

I think we have 3.5 players in mind -- Young, Bush, Leinart, Cutler/Ferguson, the last of which is being evaluated closely this week. It's not out of this world to take Ferguson, but a)Roos is a deal and a half at tackle, IMO. Depends on if they think Ferguson will cause Roos to be wasted on the right, or if those two will be bookends for years to come; b)Bush, like I said yesterday, I think, will be the dilithium crystal to Chow's Starship "Enterprise" - I think our O will transform into everything Chow's offense portended for it to be, and c)we have the undreamt of chance to get one of three possible franchise QBs, which in all likelihood we won't have next year. You have to consider just the raw odds of getting one in the door at the right time.

I hope I get some trekkie love for that crystal/enterprise analogy. That was genius, y'all.

=-O

There's my "Enterprise" smilie. Better recognize.

Where all da Trekkies at! j/k Y'all can keep quiet.

Second-hand but I have no doubt Palmer's arm is better. Again, does that make Palmer the better QB overall? Time will tell.

The bulk of stuff I read on Chow's opinion on Leinart was right after he accepted the job here. Everything, as expected, was glowing. He talked about his leadership and ability to make the reads so well.

Did you read the stuff he said about Cutler yesterday in Mortensen's article? Mort also said he expected cutler to be the first qb taken. It was pretty extreme. I was just glad that Chow's getting some good time in with him, so if he is that good, we know it and can pick him up...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back