Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
I would love to see us run more heavy sets with an extra OT instead of a TE and then go with 3WR set of Brown/Jones/Reynolds....

Defense would almost have to go to their NB package, but then we have an extra OL to help clear the way for Henry....if they dare us to pass then we have an extra OL to give Tanny more time while our WRs get open...to me it really puts the defense in a tough spot.

I like your thinking but they'll just put an extra pass rusher on the field if running man and blitz the weak side. Dont see the benefit there. If we do call pass and they do zone we're down a potential receiver allowing more defensive coverage for them. Only potential benefit is play action really but you don't want to be predictable so probs best to keep a TE on the check and release route.

More of a mid-weight package if you ask me.

Don't hate it though. I can't remember ever seeing a team use that specific formation either. My only concern is that it would limit any passing route schemes to only 3 actual pass catchers since Henry isn't exactly known of his pass catching prowess.

But hey, that's one more than we had with some of those two man concepts under Robiskie!

Julio is going to make a huge difference because we can spread the field (including Firkser and Reynolds) forcing the defense to go small and Henry will gash them. It is simple math. We have 5 OL and they can't hardly commit more than 5 or 6 to the run or get burned against the pass. Firkser is a good enough blocker that he can slide down into the end of the line as a traditional TE or be an effective slot receiver.

For years I wanted us to go to an offense more like the Colts ran for years. You run 10 personnel with a Dallas Clark type TE. You have two outside WRs that can kill you, the slot guy isn't a slouch and it gets guys out of the box and forces a smaller fast alignment on defense.

For years the Colts kept it pretty simple with players that were tough matchups. James was able to have great success running the ball without an extra OL guy out there.

I’m not saying that this should be our base package or anything like that….but it should be a package that we use…the more formation options/packages that you make the defense prepare for then the higher the likelihood that they make a mistake

I’m not saying that this should be our base package or anything like that….but it should be a package that we use…the more formation options/packages that you make the defense prepare for then the higher the likelihood that they make a mistake

If we have Swaim, or a fullback on the field we literally take a weapon off the field. Sure there are times when we want a bigger alignment, like goaline or short yardage, but in general I'd prefer to have someone like Reynolds out there for the defense to have to be concerned with.

If we have Swaim, or a fullback on the field we literally take a weapon off the field. Sure there are times when we want a bigger alignment, like goaline or short yardage, but in general I'd prefer to have someone like Reynolds out there for the defense to have to be concerned with.

exactly...that is my point...Reynolds is more of a threat to take the ball to the house than Firkser is.....so you make both the pass protection and run blocking better by having the extra OL on the field and you still have your top 4 playmakers on the field in Henry, Brown, Jones, and Reynolds.

Well actually Firkser is fine. He is a weapon and a potential mismatch. If he can block well enough as an inline TE the defense is really at a disadvantage.

Well actually Firkser is fine. He is a weapon and a potential mismatch. If he can block well enough as an inline TE the defense is really at a disadvantage.

Yep, and you don't need the TD play every time you touch the ball. Firkser will be good for moving the chains, and the less defenses key on him, he will start to get more YAC as well.

People are acting like Firkser is Alge Crumpler at the end of his career.

Crumpler at the end of his career was basically an OT more than a pass catching TE. Many see Firkser as more of a Cook who was more of a WR than TE and couldn't block. Firkser IMO is much closer to Wycheck (a 6th round pick). Both have similar attributes for size, speed and great hands.

I don't have an issue with the idea of this thread.

I do find it a little funny that for years we were begging for a QB and decent receivers so we could open up the passing game and run 3 wide. Now that we actually have the personnel, we have this thread about running a heavy package. Ironic.

Firsker is a poor mans 89... yeah I agree with that

Not sure what that means actually. Firkser is about where Wycheck was at the same age and stage of their careers. Firkser might match Wycheck's 63 catches in 1997 when he was 26 (Firkser's age) and started all 16 games. I think the talent level might be comparable and now it is more about what he does with his career being given a real chance.

I do find it a little funny that for years we were begging for a QB and decent receivers so we could open up the passing game and run 3 wide. Now that we actually have the personnel, we have this thread about running a heavy package. Ironic.

It is like the bozo "experts" that were saying Julio wouldn't make that much difference because we are a running team. About as shallow of thinking as it gets. Besides the obvious mismatches and opportunities this can create we certainly now have the horses to convert 3rd and long or score a bunch of points if we have to. I think we will see more of an open offense, better efficiency and 3rd down conversion rates (which really helps the defense), and more points on the board (be it a long drive or big plays). The last thing we need to do is go Eddie George (3 yards at a time) and hold anything back.

Not sure what that means actually. Firkser is about where Wycheck was at the same age and stage of their careers. Firkser might match Wycheck's 63 catches in 1997 when he was 26 (Firkser's age) and started all 16 games. I think the talent level might be comparable and now it is more about what he does with his career being given a real chance.

You take that back! Your dead to me!

LOL

seriously... FW89 is a damn folk hero and Frisker is an ivy leaguer

I want Frisker to succeed on the field but yeah... a STUPID poor mans 89 on his best damn day

5 WIDE!!!

We do not have the tight end for 5 wide on a consistent basis. nor the check down RB.

Firkser is okay, but he excels primarily off play action, and the presence of Derrick on the field..

Darrynton still has a small sample size, but until he proves he's even blurry images of Gibson, McKissic, Ekler, Kamara.... i'm expecting Brian Hill to eat half of his passing downs.

The whole point of the thread is actually going 3wrs and still not giving anything up anything in the run game….put our top 4 offensive threats in the field and improve our run blocking and pass protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back