Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
The whole point of the thread is actually going 3wrs and still not giving anything up anything in the run game….put our top 4 offensive threats in the field and improve our run blocking and pass protection

Yeah, I get it. Not a bad idea.

I was just coming at it from the perspective of several years ago. Then we had poor to mid QB play, poor WR play good RB and good TE.

Back then if you told us we would have a top 10 QB (maybe top5?), two potential HOF receivers, our best #3 WR in years, the top RB in the NFL, and decent TE, but we need to run an extra OT out there to better use the personnel, it would have been pandemonium in here. Lol

You take that back! Your dead to me!

LOL

seriously... FW89 is a damn folk hero and Frisker is an ivy leaguer

I want Frisker to succeed on the field but yeah... a STUPID poor mans 89 on his best damn day

Note I said at the same time in his career and statistically that is not far fetched. Obviously we still need to wait and see where Firkser goes from here. I do think it is obvious the kid has some damn good skills with his route running and ridiculous hands. He beat Ss and LBs all the time. He is a difficult matchup for man coverage and also has a feel for open spots in the zone. His only weakness is blocking but he has improved that significantly. He is very capable of getting 50-60 catches a year (had 39 only playing 360 snaps). Smith played in 779 snaps. Firkser was also the 7th rated TE per PFF and had the same run blocking rating as Smith.

Yeah, I get it. Not a bad idea.

I was just coming at it from the perspective of several years ago. Then we had poor to mid QB play, poor WR play good RB and good TE.

Back then if you told us we would have a top 10 QB (maybe top5?), two potential HOF receivers, our best #3 WR in years, the top RB in the NFL, and decent TE, but we need to run an extra OT out there to better use the personnel, it would have been pandemonium in here. Lol

We will certainly use Brewer and/or an OT on the goaline and short yardage at times. But that is when we need a yard or two and with Henry we don't care if they know what is coming.

We do not have the tight end for 5 wide on a consistent basis. nor the check down RB.

Firkser is okay, but he excels primarily off play action, and the presence of Derrick on the field..

Darrynton still has a small sample size, but until he proves he's even blurry images of Gibson, McKissic, Ekler, Kamara.... i'm expecting Brian Hill to eat half of his passing downs.

‘Twas a joke from many years ago on this board.

I love the idea of a 6 OL package with 3 WR and Henry. For run and pass blocking, wouldn’t an extra tackle be better than Firk?

I love the idea of a 6 OL package with 3 WR and Henry. For run and pass blocking, wouldn’t an extra tackle be better than Firk?

Better than what? So you have an OL guy playing who is no threat at all to catch a pass? It is a trade off. Stacking big guys in there isn't always a good idea unless you are just trying to get a yard or two. It means the defense can focus on fewer options. That is why I don't like using a FB unless you are going to throw to him occasionally.

Cardinals had a FB back in the day... caught a ton of passes...

Had to look it up...

Larry Centers

still Cardinals all time leader in receptions if I read story correctly

point is Ds will not focus on even a good FB

Cardinals had a FB back in the day... caught a ton of passes...

Had to look it up...

Larry Centers

still Cardinals all time leader in receptions if I read story correctly

point is Ds will not focus on even a good FB
He’s not franchise leader anymore but was and had 3-4 years in a row with 90+ catches and the franchise record 101 in 95’ or 96’. Almost led the league.

no... F can always scrub off and be a check down
You don't need a check down if your read is already set because you have forced the defense into a certain lineup....you are either handing the ball off to Henry if the defense goes with a NB or you throw the ball to one of your studs if the defense stays in base package....

Are we better running the ball with 5 or 6 OL??? Is our pass protection better with 5 or 6 OL???

Sure if the other team totally stacks the box on defense then they can muck up the run game, but they can't sell out to do that if you have solid weapons at WR and a solid playaction QB.

Not saying this should be our base personnel package, but should be used several times a game. The more you make defenses think and change personnel the more likely they are to make a mistake and mistakes by the defense are costly as the Titans defense showed plenty of times last yr

granted a check down not always needed

hopefully look A B C or D is available before checkdown looked at

why young QBs TEs tend to have lots of catches... get to that checkdown way to early

Last edited by a moderator:
still say that the heavy package wouldn't be a bad idea....would give extra blocker for the run game and also extra blocker to help give Tanny time in the pocket

With the issues at tackle, they should do that. Maybe it could provide some good experience for whoever will inevitably have to take over at one of those positions

This should have been done after our first 2 drives vs the Cardinals.

Commentators noted in the 3rd quarter that 'Chandler Jones is now being double teamed'.

That it took him to get 5 sacks before we started doing that is a joke.

2 TE sets with TEs chipping on the ends should have been implemented in the first quarter. Doesn't mean you can't leave Firkser out there to still run some kind of route. When you have Brown and Julio you can get away with more max protect and still have a passing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back