Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys this has been discussed much more thoroughly at titanscentral last week. Rivers is the son of a very good high school coach, he played 1 year under Chow, and then ran the same offense for 3 years without him (like having Manning on the field), he's 6'5", and pretty tough..he was good enough to be the 4th pick in the 2004 draft, has a very quick release, and is mobile... he's married with 2 kids, and his dad reportedly wants him to play here because he grew up in north Alabama, less that 11/2 hours away...from everything I hear and read, we need this guy to be the team leader on offense going into the future...lastly San Diego wants Jimmy Williams for Rivers, so what evere it takes to get Williams is what it will take....

I don't see any reason why River's value would have dropped since he was drafted. If anything, you'd have to think it's increased since he's had a couple years to develop in an NFL system. I'd say he would definately be worth our #6 overall pick. Although if the Titans would do this, it would signify two things, McNair would no longer be a Titan and we'd miss the playoffs again in 2006. I think if, behind closed doors, Reese and Fisher think we have a legitimate shot in 2006, they'll keep McNair. He's still our best shot to win next year.

If Mac steps down after this year, I'd jump on Rivers in a heartbeat.

I honestly don't understand the idea that he's worth no better than a second-round pick. He may not have played on Sundays as yet, but he's practiced against an NFL defense for two years, and understands the differences between the NFL and college. Any QB coming out of college is going to require at least one year of seasoning...it's not like Rivers has lost any of his talent, and he could play immediately.

(But realistically, it's a non-issue. McNair will almost certainly be back next year, and there are too many other teams in dire need of a QB...by the time draft day rolls around, he'll be someone's designated starter.)

thnom said:
Rivers for anything earlier than a 2nd is pure stupidity on our part. Rivers is now 24, not played a snap in 2 years. So basically we are drafting a 24 year old QB who hasn't played in 2 years. No matter how good he is, that's the facts. A new guy out of college with recently playing experience, young. It wouldn't be value for the draft pick.
Not true. He hasn't played much but he has got some snaps and he's got to whatch and participate in NFL football things like: drills, meeting, film rooms, and everything else. Not to say he's like a vet but certainly more experienced than a normal rookie coming from college. Remember, the kid was a stud in college at NC State and was rated about the same as Eli Manning when they both came out. He's gonna be a good one if he goes to the right team and, hopefully, it's ours.

and what makes you say that, How many NFL games has Rivers started, or Won. He's a unknown. I dont see us wasteing a top ten pick on a player that cant even bench his competition.

If he's all that and a bag of chips, then they will keep him and trade Brees.

Besides now Volek has just as much experience in the "Chow" system as Rivers.

I say take Cutler in the 2nd and be done with it unless Vince Young comes out then you have to take him in the first.

Or we trade away three Olinemen to the Texans for the first overall pick, I can see them going for that.

Your tight about one thing. Rivers isn't proven. Volek has proven that he can't get the job done, though. I don't think there would be any chance of Billy making through a season injury free, plus, he buckles under preasure. No thanks. The Chargers were going to get rid of Brees origanally but they started winning and you never mess with that. Everyone knows that when you bring a rookie QB regaurdless of how good they are (excluding Rothlessberger) they're going to struggle for at least a year. So when the chargers started winning with Brees they weren't going to buck the system, why would they. Besides, even if Young comes out he'll most likely be gone by the time we pick same goes with Cutler. I like Cutler but it'll be slim chances on getting him when we want. If Steve renotiates, and I think he will, Billy will be gone. No doubt. We've got to get some one and Rivers would be a pretty good fit.

I was hoping to see Rivers play in a meaningless game, but with the Chargers on the outside looking in the playoffs, Breeze will take all the snaps.

If the Chargers get mathematically eliminated we may see him play. You have to wonder why we don't if they get mathematically eliminated.

a few things to consider

1) he has been through several Pro Training Camps so far
(with a hot-tempered coach I might add)

2) he has experience against one of the leagues better defensive units

3) he was good enough to be considered a top 5 draft pick

4) he has knowledge of our OC

In conclusion he's a better prospect than a rookie at this point
it's a fluke that he's currently a backup
San Diego was prepared to go with Rivers until Brees caught on
noty sure he's worth our 1st round pick, but certainly worth our 2nd

OVERVIEW
The second-leading passer in NCAA history with 13,484 career passing yards — breaking school and Atlantic Coast Conference records — he also set an NCAA record with 51 career starts at quarterback … Rivers finished second in NCAA history with 13,582 career yards of total offense … He tied for fifth in NCAA history with 95 career touchdown passes

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/philip_rivers

In 2003: A finalist for the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award, Johnny Unitas Award, the Hossman Trophy and for the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award ...
... The national leader in completion percentage (.720) and passing efficiency (170.49) ... Finished the year ranked second nationally in passing yards (4,491) and total offense (353.85/game), third in pass completions (348) and completions per game (26.77),
Led the ACC in every passing and total offense category ... Set the ACC single season records for total offense (4,600), total offense per game, touchdown responsibility (37), passing yards, TD passes, completion percentage, pass completions and pass attempts ... Had thrown 124 straight passes without an interception

Don't know about ya'll but I'm on the Jay Cutler bandwagon, have been for awhile, and even Mel Kiper is on it now. He just wrote how Cutler could go top 12. You have to have ESPN insider to read it, what a rip. But I was very happy to hear that.

Puck said:
OVERVIEW
The second-leading passer in NCAA history with 13,484 career passing yards — breaking school and Atlantic Coast Conference records — he also set an NCAA record with 51 career starts at quarterback … Rivers finished second in NCAA history with 13,582 career yards of total offense … He tied for fifth in NCAA history with 95 career touchdown passes

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/philip_rivers

In 2003: A finalist for the Davey O'Brien National Quarterback Award, Johnny Unitas Award, the Hossman Trophy and for the Walter Camp Player of the Year Award ...
... The national leader in completion percentage (.720) and passing efficiency (170.49) ... Finished the year ranked second nationally in passing yards (4,491) and total offense (353.85/game), third in pass completions (348) and completions per game (26.77),
Led the ACC in every passing and total offense category ... Set the ACC single season records for total offense (4,600), total offense per game, touchdown responsibility (37), passing yards, TD passes, completion percentage, pass completions and pass attempts ... Had thrown 124 straight passes without an interception

he's good, at least he was good. But time has a way of developeing rust. And you cant always judge a QB by what he did in the NCAA, I dont see Tim Chang or Tee Martin lighting up the NFL, and they are also NCAA passing record holders.

Hellblitzer said:
he's good, at least he was good. But time has a way of developeing rust. And you cant always judge a QB by what he did in the NCAA, I dont see Tim Chang or Tee Martin lighting up the NFL, and they are also NCAA passing record holders.

what record does Tee hold ? most completions without an int. ?
and Timmy Chang played in a Run and Shoot ?

the best shot for Rivers is to have Chow caoch him

Rivers is a pretty solid 6'5" guy, 3" taller than Volek and built a lot sturdier, more importantly Billy is best at going deep, like the Raiders.. Rivers has a very quick release, and can throw just about anything, touch deep, sideline, intermediate...

Puck said:
what record does Tee hold ? most completions without an int. ?
and Timmy Chang played in a Run and Shoot ?

the best shot for Rivers is to have Chow caoch him

the most str8 completions in a row without an incomplete pass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back