Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree, i think that we can be a good team, probally not playoff yet but we have the potential, one thing that i would like to point out is that last year the colts were the second youngest team in the league but they still had the best regular season record, but the reason that thtye did so good was because they had experience at the positions that mattered the most

One thing that will help our defense at least in our division is...

Colts don't have Edge
Jags don't have Smith
Texans have the same OLINE and a rookie coach/ new system

The Jags are really lacking in terms of a WR that has proven anything in a big game situation. The idea that either Jones or Williams will be as productive as Smith this yr is ludicrous.

The idea that Addai is going to fill Edge's shoes is crazy.

BAMARON said:
I'm 48 years old, so this isn't my first ( or even 20th ) football season. I'm always hopeful...I hope the team is optimistic. I hope they think they can win.

I don't underestand people who think they are so "wise" They just know how bad it's gonna be...Sell your tickets. Spend Sunday afternoons in the park...Or just sleep.

Why don't we shut down the stadium...Move the team...Hey We could move it to Alabama!!!

For now if I want Pessimism I'll watch ESPN.....GO TITANS

I totally agree. What's the point of being a sports fan if you're gonna cr@p on the season before it even starts. I am optimistic every year. I think we can win our division this year. Look at the facts, if you want to call them facts.

Jags are good, but will never be great. We can definately beat them.

Texans, well what can I say. Maybe next century.

Colts, after Peytons "protection problems" comments after his loss in the playoffs, do you think his line is gonna really watch his back this season? Then there's Peyton telling Dungy, "Naw, we're doin it MY WAY!". There are problems up there and I don't think the colts will ever be better than they were last year. Not to mention Edgerin James, he is one of those guys that's damn near impossible to replace. Then Thornton, definately a hit to their defense.

Add all that up, We have a shot!

Go Team.:coltssuk:

Soxcat said:
The Titans were 19th in the league last year in total defense (yards per game). By comparison Seattle was #17. It only takes a few players on both sides of the ball to make a darn good improvement.
Interestingly we were had the 9th worse TOP in the NFL so if we can control the clock better that automatically will help the defense significantly. Note however, Pitt had the 8th worse TOP.
Guess what our 3rd down conversion rate was against us last year?
35.5 which was 7th in the league.
Bottom line we just need to tweek a few things on defense and have improvment at a few postions and we are good enough to be a playoff team.

Looking at the offense we had a lower 3rd down %, 34.4% than our defense which isn't very good. Pitt was only 35.4 on offense and tehy won the SB.

421 points allowed

the DC needs "tweaked" for starters. Until the D plays with some heart those things are meaningless.

TitanJeff said:
I haven't taken the time to look but our pass defense probably looked better from a stats perspective because teams were able to run so much and didn't need to pass.

Exactly, PLUS the dolts took it easy on the Titans in the first game. They could have scored 50+ if they had of wanted too.

Soxcat said:
Jeff, the stats are total yards per game and the table doesn't split the passing and running yards (which is strange). You can look at a passing defense chart that has us ranked middle of the pack. We were 22nd in rushing yards given up. Seems like if we can improve our running game and do a better job against the run our defense would automatically be much better overall.
Very true. The running game (or lack thereof) killed the Titans on the defensive side of the ball.

Obviously, if the Titans were better against the run, the passing ranking could have dropped because teams would have passed more. I also think the run defense stat may have been inflated because teams were just running the football with big leads so often. It's a lot easier to stop the run when you know it's coming.

GoTitans3801 said:
The good teams we played didn't need third downs. Most of the third downs we played on D came against the texans and the 49ers.

thats gotta make you feel sick about the legitamacy of our 3rd down stats, hmm?

GoTitans3801 said:
This is heading to where we all beef up our predictions a little bit, and then a couple of posters start "guaranteeing" that we'll make the playoffs, and then the general perspective starts to get skewed because some of the newer posters who don't know who to listen to start to listen to that stuff, and then we're an overly optimistic forum for about a month and a half. I'd love to see us surprise some people this year, but we don't have reason to be optimistic until it's week three and we've somehow managed to win 2 of our first three games.
Every word of this is so true.

panthersfan69 said:
still too inexperienced, expecially in the AFC

The AFC did loose Jimmy Smith.:ha:

Hope should bring experience to help our young CBs. Thompson played better when Tank was playing better. I would imagine the same will happen with Hope. Or that's my Hope anyways.

And we haven't even had a game with him yet. If he plays well, imagine the announcers when we could really use a defensive stop...

Titans enter season with promising secondary

NASHVILLE, TN, July 12, 2006 -- Last season the Titans' secondary was comprised mostly of raw, developing players. With Pro Bowl cornerback Samari Rolle headed to Baltimore, Tennessee lacked a proven sparkplug and had few proven veterans.

more...

Andre Woolfolk, meanwhile, enters his fourth season with the Titans. The nickel defensive back played in 13 games last season and recorded 52 tackles, an interception, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. He adds depth and experience to one of the league’s up-and-coming secondaries.

The depth of an experienced veteran the team
needs to solidify the secondary?

hope_chris1.jpg

hill_reynaldo2.jpg

pacman16.jpg

Oh really? Well then, with our improved secondary, we'll make the playoffs for sure! Now if only I could get some vet poster to agree with me, I'd be set for the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back