Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get it. Jackson looked lost to me. I'm no expert or anything.

Me too. I saw a play where he was in great position to jump a pass. He saw it. Instead, he peddled out for angle on the tackle. I don’t know if that’s what he was coached to do, but you can’t miss those opportunities when they are there.

Last season Mariota had 5 pass completions of 40 or more yards.
In his first game this season, he had 3!

If Mariota can continue to stretch the field, it will do wonders for the offense as a whole, particularly the run game.

If Mariota can continue to stretch the field, it will do wonders for the offense as a whole, particularly the run game.

Do you know if they were actual pass of 40 or more yards? Or does AJ's and Henry's YAC count towards this stat?

This is a really misleading stat.

1 was a 33 yard floater/duck to AJ who was thankfully open enough to even wait for it.

The next was a -2 yard pass to Henry on a perfectly blocked/called screen.

The last was a 10 yard IN that AJ yac’d It up on.

“Stretch the field” isn’t what really happened here.

Out of 20 passes, 6 were over 10 yards. 3 of which were inaccurate. 3 between 10-15 (1 inaccurate). 2 at or near 20 (both inaccurate) and the duck at 33-34.

Let’s also add historically that when Mary is trying to be throw deep- it’s right around the 20-25 yard mark that has been the target area.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a really misleading stat.

1 was a 33 yard floater/duck to AJ who was thankfully open enough to even wait for it.

The next was a -2 yard pass to Henry on a perfectly blocked/called screen.

The last was a 10 yard IN that AJ yac’d It up on.

“Stretch the field” isn’t what really happened here.

Out of 20 passes, 6 were over 10 yards. 3 of which were inaccurate. 3 between 10-15 (1 inaccurate). 2 at or near 20 (both inaccurate) and the duck at 33-34.

It’s not a misleading stat because YAC is included in last years numbers as well..

Deshaun Watson under threw every deep ball opportunity he had last night. And Brees had 1 attempt past 20 yards. But no one is on here claiming they don’t know how to stretch the field.

Big plays are big plays. We didn’t have that aspect at all last year. We had 3 big ones in one week. When’s the last time that happened??

It’s not a misleading stat because YAC is included in last years numbers as well..

Deshaun Watson under three every deep ball opportunity he had last night. And Brees had 1 attempt past 20 yards. But no one is on here claiming they don’t know how to stretch the field.

Big plays are big plays. We didn’t have that aspect at all last year. We had 3 big ones in one week. When’s the last time that happened??

“Mary stretched the field”! In comparison to what actually happened is misleading.

A 10 yard IN that the WR caught and made into a big play isn’t “Mary stretched the field.” A -2 yard screen pass that went to the house... isn’t “Mary stretched the field”

There’s 1 throw where we can say hey Mary stretched the field. And that’s fine. It’s good to see us trying to push defenders off the LOS.

“If Mariota can continue to stretch the field, it will do wonders for the offense as a whole.”

Perspective matters.

“Mary stretched the field”! In comparison to what actually happened is misleading.

A 10 yard IN that the WR caught and made into a big play isn’t “Mary stretched the field.” A -2 yard screen pass that went to the house... isn’t “Mary stretched the field”

There’s 1 throw where we can say hey Mary stretched the field. And that’s fine. It’s good to see us trying to push defenders off the LOS.

“If Mariota can continue to stretch the field, it will do wonders for the offense as a whole.”

Perspective matters.

I understand where you are coming from and agree that screen passes and in routes aren’t “stretching the field” in a normal sense. However, I am providing perspective to you that the Saints stretch the field without throwing balls downfield. They did it last night.

Multiple ways to do it. Saints do a great job of attacking the field horizontally. Pats do the same thing.

Mariota had a good game. But he did not stretch the field at all. He had one deep throw to Brown, and only gained 75 yards of air yards. That means his passes only totaled 75 yards past the line of scrimmage before being caught.

Marcus ranked 19 out of 27 passers for air yards per completion, and 21 out of 27 for air yards per attempt. Basically he was throwing shorter passes than nearly any other QB in the league.

Now, that's not necessarily a horrible thing for this game. He protected the football and didn't have any turnovers in a game that could have completely flipped with a bad turnover. But throwing a lot of short passes is not going to get it done against some of the better QB's we face this year, especially if our D has a sub par game.

EDIT: To add to this though, for 2018 he ranked 25 of 33 qualifiers for air yards per completion and 22 of 33 for average depth of target. Basically, he was in the bottom third of the league for throwing the ball down the field. Context to that is that he was injured and couldn't feel his fingers, but it's concerning that his first game this year he's doing the exact same things.

Well I for one enjoyed how our offense scored Touchdowns after the first two interceptions. Usually we "hope" for a long field goal or we punt and try to "pin" them inside the 20.

I'm still enjoying this win.

Mariota had a good game. But he did not stretch the field at all. He had one deep throw to Brown, and only gained 75 yards of air yards. That means his passes only totaled 75 yards past the line of scrimmage before being caught.

Marcus ranked 19 out of 27 passers for air yards per completion, and 21 out of 27 for air yards per attempt. Basically he was throwing shorter passes than nearly any other QB in the league.

Now, that's not necessarily a horrible thing for this game. He protected the football and didn't have any turnovers in a game that could have completely flipped with a bad turnover. But throwing a lot of short passes is not going to get it done against some of the better QB's we face this year, especially if our D has a sub par game.

EDIT: To add to this though, for 2018 he ranked 25 of 33 qualifiers for air yards per completion and 22 of 33 for average depth of target. Basically, he was in the bottom third of the league for throwing the ball down the field. Context to that is that he was injured and couldn't feel his fingers, but it's concerning that his first game this year he's doing the exact same things.

I guess we should point out he’s ahead of Newton, Big Ben, Mahomes, and Goff after week 1 in air yards per completion.

Wow people complaining Mariota didn't throw far enough down the field after throwing 3 TDs, dude can't win for lose. Brees only had one pass that went further than 20 yards vs Texans.
I didn’t see anyone “complain”about not throwing far enough down the field. I think you’re mistaking conversation for complaining and it started with 1 saying MM “stretched the field”, the other disagreed.

So if he can’t win for losing, it has more to do with this type of comment inaccurately depicting a conversation.

Um, we had a hodgepodge O line going against a top tier pass rush. OF COURSE he threw more short passes! No time for deep routes to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back