Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
V-MAN said:
All of these points you are making are assumptions. Thats it...ASSUMPTIONS.

Let me ask you this. If you have a QB who could get the first down by running 7 yards and all of his options are covered would you rather him throw the ball and risk a turnover or throw the ball out of bounds? Believe it or not running the ball is part of every QB's game. Some may not want to do it, but they all do.

You pointed out injuries to mobile QB's seems to happen more. Another assumption. Being immobile can cause injuries as well(Rex Grossman), and also shorten careers(Troy Aikman). I believe Elway had a long career and he was a mobile QB.

Great post. I was about to post something similar. ~

V-MAN said:
All of these points you are making are assumptions. Thats it...ASSUMPTIONS.

Let me ask you this. If you have a QB who could get the first down by running 7 yards and all of his options are covered would you rather him throw the ball and risk a turnover or throw the ball out of bounds? Believe it or not running the ball is part of every QB's game. Some may not want to do it, but they all do.

You pointed out injuries to mobile QB's seems to happen more. Another assumption. Being immobile can cause injuries as well(Rex Grossman), and also shorten careers(Troy Aikman). I believe Elway had a long career and he was a mobile QB.

Rex Grossman blew out his knee trying to run for a touchdown from 9 yards out. Troy Aikman was a statue, but also won 3 superbowls. John Elway wa one of the best passers the league has ever seen, and after his 4th year in the league, he rarely ran, he beat you with his arm. Vince Young is not the caliber passer that Aikman or Elway were, he's more in the mold of Charlie Ward like someone earlier compared.

I can't think of a successful running QB to come out in the last 15 years. I'm just not big on running QBs because the durability factor is multiplied. QBs are the least durable player on any given team, if they run the ball more, they become that much less durable, it only takes one hit. And because Vince might be bigger doesn't make him more elusive, it does the exact opposite, creates a bigger target for someone to drill. Michael Vick is the most elusive player in the NFL, and he gets beat up week afte week.

There is a difference between a QB that is a running QB and a QB that can run. What I mean is that Vick is a running QB in my mind. He isn't one to hang in there...he is always looking to run. Almost a run first, kind of QB. I would agree, they are put in harms way more. A QB that can run, in my mind, is one that thinks pass first and run if have to. I look at it like a car. If you have 2 cars that are exactly the same in every aspect...same speed, comfort, etc...but one car has 4 wheel drive, heck I would take the one with 4 wheel drive. Sure that is a simplified explanation, but you get my gist.

I get what you are saying...but then, do you take the car with the diagnostic computer or without?

I guess what I am thinking right now, who will have a longer productive career? Vince Young who is more prone to injury like McNair, or someone else who doesn't put themselves in harms way as frequent. With McNair, we had about a 2-4 year window where we had a chance, that's not very good considering he will end up playing in the league for 10+ seasons. Whereas, someone like Tom Brady, who doesn't run, but could if he needed to, will have more years where he can consistently have a shot to take his team all the way, because, for no other reason, he'll be on the field and not in the training room. The hits are going to take a toll on Vince and thus keep him in the Training room taking away from his progression on the practice field learning the nuances and getting a rythm much like it hindered McNair.

Jwill1919 said:
Rex Grossman blew out his knee trying to run for a touchdown from 9 yards out. Troy Aikman was a statue, but also won 3 superbowls. John Elway wa one of the best passers the league has ever seen, and after his 4th year in the league, he rarely ran, he beat you with his arm. Vince Young is not the caliber passer that Aikman or Elway were, he's more in the mold of Charlie Ward like someone earlier compared.

I can't think of a successful running QB to come out in the last 15 years. I'm just not big on running QBs because the durability factor is multiplied. QBs are the least durable player on any given team, if they run the ball more, they become that much less durable, it only takes one hit. And because Vince might be bigger doesn't make him more elusive, it does the exact opposite, creates a bigger target for someone to drill. Michael Vick is the most elusive player in the NFL, and he gets beat up week afte week.

Charlie Ward??? What are you smoking!

Anyway. Last year Grossman's injury was because the pressure around him collapsed and he couldn't get out of the pocket. The year before that he was trying to get into the endzone. So, either way you could make an argument. My point is it doesn't matter if you are running with the ball or standing in the pocket. You still get hit regardless. Peyton may not get sacked an entire game, but rest assured he probably got hit 10 times. Every player on the field gets hit. It's part of the game.

Oh and I wasn't comparing Youngs career with either Aikman or Elway. But I do believe he could be better than the both of them.

Did you ever watch Charlie Ward at FSU, he was amazing.

Peyton's 10 hits are alot less devastating than the 10 Vick takes. You also have to realize, whoever takes Vince isn't going to put him out in space like he was in college. He will be in a more pro-set offense, creating more people around him.

To me, Vince Young is the biggest risk in the entire draft, even if he does arguably have the greatest potental reward. I don't want to take a player that risky at #3, nor do I want to see him ride the bench for 2 years.

That's just my personal take...

You talk like a running QB is a bad thing. I like the fact that you have to account for the QB on the defensive side. Plus, when protection breaks down, Young can make a play with his legs.

JDee

jdee said:
You talk like a running QB is a bad thing. I like the fact that you have to account for the QB on the defensive side. Plus, when protection breaks down, Young can make a play with his legs.

JDee
I'm more concerned with how he'll do when the protection doesn't break down.

The kid was among the best rated, and top rated QBs among the three we are talking about, in the NCAA...he can throw. Period.

Starkiller said:
To me, Vince Young is the biggest risk in the entire draft, even if he does arguably have the greatest potental reward. I don't want to take a player that risky at #3, nor do I want to see him ride the bench for 2 years.

That's just my personal take...

That's my take as well. If he flops this franchise is crap for years to come and I as well don't want to wait 2 or more years for a QB to start playing well. I wasn't a Titans fan early in McNair's career but no way I want to wait until year 3 for a guy we draft to step on the field. If a guy can't be ready in one year he is not worth the #3 pick IMO.

Jwill1919 said:

I guess you don't remember a guy for the 49ers named Young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back