Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
the radio boys were dicusssing this the other day and concluded that aquiring more draft picks (ie, recruiting more YOUTH) wasn't quite the prudent thing to do; but trading back to aquire veteran FA help would be.

I don't believe an onslaught of rookies will save either Jeff or Floyd's jobs
they need to get over the hump, and I bet that don't expect their 1st Round pick to be much of a factor in that for the '06 season
no QB, RB, OL, or LB will do it,.... but better coaching will

I'll take Reggie Bush or Vince Young at #3
if it's Matt ,then shop the pick (just a gut feeling)
but I still want DeAngelo Williams / LenDale White / Jay Cutler Round 1
aquiring either of those guys + extra picks / Vet help would be good

I'd kinda like to see the team start winning sooner too, so a guy that can have an impact sooner would be nice. OTOH, I like the thought of Young or Leinart being a future QB.

Hawk, Bush, DeAngelo, Fergy, Kiwi....lots of guys could come in and have an immediate impact on this team, and could be had after a trade down. We could take a guy or two in the 2nd or 3rd round (depending on what picks we garnered) in one of the deep positions and get a guy who may have been a 1st rounder in another draft. Maybe LB, OT, QB....or even TE if Kinney gets traded.

Is this a win-win or what?

No way this pick gets traded. Vince Young, when will we ever get a chance to get a qb like this, if EVER, again. McNair was what, a 5 pick. Moon we just got lucky. Yeah, we've had some good qb's, but they don't grow on trees for most teams. The Titans have just been in the right place at the right time. Which is where we are again. Vince Young is about as good as a franchise could ever hope to get, and we'll get 'em at the 3 pick. Frankly, we should be thanking god that he came out. We will never have a chance like this again for probably the next 10-15 years. We are sitting pretty and a franchise player will be there no matter what happens. We gotta pick.

Trading down a few slots and drafting Cutler makes the most sense to me.
Say we trade down and have a pick around #8. For that trade we would at least get the 8th pick in the 2nd round, the 8th pick in the 3rd round and possibly more picks next year. We still get a franchise QB for the future and in the 2nd and 3rd rounds we still have picks to get OL, LB and S help.
With the class of OTs and LBs those second round picks are as good as mid 1st round picks in other years.

It's a tough call but I would be very tempted if it meant getting a top 10 pick in the first, second and third rounds along with another possible high pick in '07.

Please dont mess this up

Surely the front office wont screw this up. This is our chance to replace one franchise qb with another. I know a lot of you guys arent sold on Vince Young but you have to look at the situation we are in. Basically we suck and we are about to lose our qb to retirement. We have to take a franchise qb considering we are in a great place to get one and it is a team need.

Before this year if someone would have ask you guys do you want a qb with Vicks running ability, along with a better passing skills and decision making,and at last LEADERSHIP, how many would be against that?

But you have to consider a number of factors. If Reese somehow grades Cutler to be just a notch under Leinart or Young, he'd be nuts to decline a number of high picks if a team was willing to give up the farm to get to #3.

Lots will play out over the next few months.

Some of the guys up front may not want to wait a year or two before that franchise QB takes over. They may want to win now and draft another position that could have an immediate impact. It's not like a franchise QB picked high is a sure thing either....lots of busts lately give me the hebegebe feeling.

Or they could think Cutler is their man if they trade down a few spots, and may be happy with that and extra picks.

Ill be honest with you, I was not a young fan nor am i today but i might be when the 3rd pick comes around. what he displayed against USC was pretty impressive though and if he can bring that to us I would love to have him

If our plan is to trade down with the intent to select Cutler and pick-up extra picks ie: regain that lost 3rd for the Henry deal... I'm all for it. That being said... the Titans' intel better be legit, because if we get leap-frogged by a team like Miami, Cardinals' or fall below a team like the Raiders' which have all shown a interest in Cutler ( Word of mouth )... I'll seriouly question who's best interest they're looking out for, the teams furture or theirs. We need to walk out of there with a legit QB... Leinart, Cutler or Young.

TANK CALICO said:
I see your points but to me qb position is not where you take a notch below when you can take a notch above
I agree. But I'm just saying it all boils down to how Reese grades out these guys. Based on what I've seen, I don't make the trade, FWTW.

Let's assume Reese likes Cutler. The problem is he is not guaranteed he'll be there if he trades down. It would almost benefit him if Cutler doesn't do too well in the Senior Bowl/Pro Day so that teams will come up for Young/Leinart who want a QB and Reese has a better shot at getting Culter with the lower pick.

I think it's a nice position to be in, after a crappy season. At least it gives us something to look forward to.

Vince, under McNair's tutelage, could be truly great. Mac was from a small school, studied under the great Chris Chandler, after all, and he turned out pretty decent. Imagine a guy like Vince, who played against MUCH tougher comp, will study under a bonifide MVP...I kind of like it.

But Cutler's from Vandy, so there's hometown love involved there, too.

It's a nice place to be in.

TANK CALICO said:
I see your points but to me qb position is not where you take a notch below when you can take a notch above
yeah, but I believe that the only reason why Cutler is "a notch below" is becuase he played at Vanderbilt on a relatively weak defensive team in a crushingly brutal conference with little offensive weaponry and coaching not quite on par with Carrol

Trust me when I say this :
Had Jay Cutler played @ USC you'd probably be looking at Cutler as a Top 5 pick (which ironically he might eventually end up)

After two years where we basically stockpiled picks and drafted a heap of rookies, I think this year we need quality, not quantity. More than anything our offense needs a centrepiece to build around. The last 10 years that has been Eddie and then McNair. Chris Brown is not durable enough to build an offense around, so we either need an every down stud RB or a franchise QB. I vote QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back