Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Titans2008 said:
There's a reason they are willing to deal Williams and Booker.

They need a QB badly and have their RB in Ronnie Brown with big contract. Ricky has value for alot of teams though and is still legit starter in league

bigtitan53279 said:
unless bush is there, i dont know if they'll give up a first and second to move up just one spot. a first and third maybe, but not a first and second.

I could see the Jets moving up if they want Leinart or Young. Haven't heard about Pennington's recovery, but at time it was initially considered potentially career ending - and there are serious doubts about bringing in someone like Volek. I think Volek has potential to be a good QB, but he needs the right situation and the Jets might be one of the teams where he'd fit, but if you grade Leinart and Young as Franchise QB its hard to pass.

If the Titans don't think either Leinart/Young are franchise QB but some other team does, then trading down makes sense to me. I'm going to want a the 4th overall and 2nd rounder (36th overall) to give up 3 though, and even then I'd probably want something else too given the big drop in value from 3 to 4 in this draft. Who do we draft at #4 when the "big 3" are off the board? At 4 I'm still wanting to trade down and not sure there will be any takers.

Hawk or Ferguson...

Besides, Ricky is a middle of the road starter at best while the running backs we have now are about the same. Ricky is old and obviously not the kind of guy you want in the locker room. Why make a move for him ?

Titanpride said:
I don't have the numbers infront of me, but the jets' and their cap situation won't allow the the luxury of moving up in the draft. they might even be in a position to have to move down to get some alotted draft money releaf.
That's simply wrong. The Jets cap "issue" is that they have a lot of money tied up in the QB position because they just signed Pennington to a $60M deal last year. They can't afford to spend any more money there. They need to start elsewhere, and will be able to do so.

They would never trade up with us unless Reggie Bush was still there, and if Bush was there at #3 we would never give it up.

If anything the Jets will trade up to #1 to get Bush and the Texans will take Ferguson at #4.

Jets are desperate for a QB?

Not if they think pennington can come back in good health. That's the main issue and pennington is fairly young and third year QB brooks bollinger didn't play bad.

I think they are more interested in the heir apparent to curtis martin. That means they might be willing to trade down a few spots and hopefully still get deangelo williams. Bush is too far out of reach. Of course if i was them i'd just take ferguson, a quality left tackle who can play there for the next decade.

Actually, Pennington is 29. He turns 30 in June. Since there is still a chance that he can be a solid starter for 3 more years or so, they'll probably address running back first, but I suspect they might take a shot at one of the many good lower round deals at QB. I hear that McNeal has impressed at the practices.

2toneblue77 said:
Just curious how many of you would trade one spot down for a first and third round pick? second round? Personally id rather have Hawk than any of the top 3. Defense wins ballgames. I'd go for a first and second rounder but not sure about a first and third. Any takers?

I would trade down in a New York minute. We are in immediatte need at linebacker and safety. I would use the extra draft picks to jump all over AJ Hawk and hope to land a top safety in the 2nd round. I would even consider packaging my 2nd and 3rd rounders to get a shot at getting Ko Simpson in the late 1st round.

The Titans are not in immediate need at QB as of right now. We can hold off another year.

After reading the paper this am, Cutler and Brick are on the North squad of the Senior Bowl so that Fisher and Chow can work them out first hand.. so maybe a trade down might happen...but maybe we trade down to Arizona's slot so they can take VY, and we get Cutler..

FightinTitan said:
The Titans are not in immediate need at QB as of right now. We can hold off another year.

I disagree

Young ,Lienart and Cutler are 3 of the better prospects at QB to come out recently. the QB class for the next few years probably won't be as promising as this one.

if we wait til next year I would REALLY like Troy Smith
but if the shot is there for Young to be a Titan and learn from his mentor, then it really is one of the best fits

Cutler being a hometown boy with a knack for lifting teams above their level of play makes him an attraction to

Leinart played 3 years in Chow's system and could step in to play if McNair were to get hurt and/or Volek is traded. his familiarity makes him a 'smart' pick

the ONLY way one of these aren't Titans is if Reggie Bush is there @ 3

FightinTitan said:
I would trade down in a New York minute. We are in immediatte need at linebacker and safety. I would use the extra draft picks to jump all over AJ Hawk and hope to land a top safety in the 2nd round. I would even consider packaging my 2nd and 3rd rounders to get a shot at getting Ko Simpson in the late 1st round.

First of all we don't have a 3rd round pick to trade. Secondly we need a QB. The best scenario is to take a QB in the 1st and if anything trade down in the second to get and extra pick but still get a solid OL or LB/S.

THAT'S a good plan.

Honestly, I think any of the guys we've talked about will be instant help. The QB's (including Leinart, the guy's got the goods, and it would've been a pipe dream to get him last draft) all look great (Young, Leinart, Cutler); Reggie Bush is about as sure of a bet as you can get, and even AJ Hawk and D'Brick look to be pretty solid choices. Either way, keeping the #3 and trading out of the 2nd round looks like a solid play, IMHO.

Well, it is a good plan, but...trading OUT of the second isn't a good move, IMO. There is too much talent. I might trade down a bit like we did last year with Detroit where we took Roos, but just think of all the first round talent that will get pushed out of round one and be there in round two. The players I think could be there at pick #35 are

Max Jean-Gilles
Darnell Bing
Ko Simpson
Ahmad Brooks (think he might fall further - this year's Starks?)
Abdul Hodge
D'Qwell Jackson
Jon Scott
Laurence Maroney (he just might)
Manny Lawson
Martin Nance
Winston Justice

I would really look to trade Volek and/or Henry to get some 2nd or 3rd round fodder. I've suggested trading them to New York before, and I would unload them both for a 2nd and 4th/5th (but would be happy enough to just get the Jets 2nd for the two of them). Imagine having pick #s 3, 35 and 36. What would you do with that?

I bet New York would go for that trade. They could take virtually whomever they wanted at #4 or even trade down since their two biggest needs would be satisfied.

We could fill some holes with #3, 35 and 36. I'm going to dream now.

GLinks said:
Well, it is a good plan, but...trading OUT of the second isn't a good move, IMO. There is too much talent. I might trade down a bit like we did last year with Detroit where we took Roos, but just think of all the first round talent that will get pushed out of round one and be there in round two. The players I think could be there at pick #35 are

Max Jean-Gilles
Darnell Bing
Ko Simpson
Abdul Hodge
D'Qwell Jackson
Jon Scott
Manny Lawson
Martin Nance
Winston Justice

I would really look to trade Volek and/or Henry to get some 2nd or 3rd round fodder. I've suggested trading them to New York before, and I would unload them both for a 2nd and 4th/5th (but would be happy enough to just get the Jets 2nd for the two of them). Imagine having pick #s 3, 35 and 36. What would you do with that?

I bet New York would go for that trade. They could take virtually whomever they wanted at #4 or even trade down since their two biggest needs would be satisfied.

Sox was saying to trade down from the 2nd and get a 3rd, but not get out of the 2nd.

Soxcat said:
First of all we don't have a 3rd round pick to trade. Secondly we need a QB. The best scenario is to take a QB in the 1st and if anything trade down in the second to get and extra pick but still get a solid OL or LB/S.

Count on it, we will have a third round pick. Think outside of the box.

GLinks said:

Max Jean-Gilles
Darnell Bing
Ko Simpson
Abdul Hodge
D'Qwell Jackson
Jon Scott
Manny Lawson
Martin Nance
Winston Justice

That list makes my point. With that much talent we can drop as many as 10 spots in the second and get a 3rd rounder or early 4th. With the 45th pick we still end up with a quality player. The Roos example is a perfect example. If one of those guys left on the board are not projected before #45 but we like them as well as anyone at #35 might as well drop down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back