Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
SUMMARY: QB Billy Volek has been keeping close watch on the McNair trade talks and feels his days with the Titans are nearing its close. “With everything that’s gone on, I really don’t think Steve will be back,” Volek said. With the pick of Vince Young this weekend, Volek understands that he is only a bridge between McNair and Young but welcomes the opportunity. “I look at Drew Brees, when the Chargers got Phillip Rivers,” Volek said. “Brees was able to keep the job, be productive and started for two years. Then he went and got a deal with New Orleans.” He also said he'd welcome competition if the Titans decide to bring in Kerry Collins or Tommy Maddox to compete with for the starting job this season.

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

in other words -

"I really hope Steve won't be back"

"I look at Drew Brees and think I will pull of the same numbers and get the millions I have always wanted"

"Collins and Maddox - F*** off if you know what it good for you."

collins I could understand, now granted he sucks, but not as bad as Tommy the "I get sacked and get a concussion at the same time, oh and did I mention I threw and somehow fumbled the ball too " Maddox.... friggin aye...

The problem with volek...

He is only signed for this year because we didn't pick up the option on his contract. What if vince needs 2 years to be ready to start? I don't want to be in limbo for 2007 because this is a team that could be a real super bowl contender by then.

Volek's potential backups...

Harrington....no

Collins......no

The guy i would love but we can't get him is david garrard the current backup for the jags. This guy completed 58% of his passes last year with 4 TDs and only 1 int. He is the strongest running QB in the game. When leftwich is out with injury there is no drop off. The jags have a #3 with great potential, more of a pure passer so maybe they would be willing to part with this guy.

Patrick ramsey might be available. The jets resigned pennington and they like bollinger.

Rohan davey might be worth taking a chance on as our #3. He hardly played at all in new england over 4 seasons and will likely get pushed out of arizona with lienart there.

They could do a two-year deal with whoever they bring in. Guarantee one with an option bonus for the second in case Young isn't ready or just to insure quality depth in '07.

I would just as soon go with the devil I know and make the QBs Volek, Mauck and Young. At least Mauck would have been here for 2 years plus he lead the scout team so he has had plenty of snaps in pratice.

Outside of that if Titans have to get a FA QB I say look at the arena league and grab one of those guys. At least they don't bring all the baggage a Maddox or Collins brings.

I'm with GoT on this one. Let Volek run the show this year and possibly sign him to an extension and let Mauck and Young be the #2 and 3.

I don't mind leaving it to billy, but I sure don't want Mattox. I'd take Collins if he wasn't expensive, but I don't want Tommy, his career is over.

Anyone been watching NFLE? This Gibran Hamdan kid looks pretty impressive. He's allocated by the Seahawks...so they currently have Matt Hasselbeck, Seneca Wallace, David Greene (rookie UGA), and Gibran Hamdan.

...just a thought.

RollTide said:
Harrington....no

Collins......no

The guy i would love but we can't get him is david garrard the current backup for the jags. This guy completed 58% of his passes last year with 4 TDs and only 1 int. He is the strongest running QB in the game. When leftwich is out with injury there is no drop off. The jags have a #3 with great potential, more of a pure passer so maybe they would be willing to part with this guy.

Patrick ramsey might be available. The jets resigned pennington and they like bollinger.

Rohan davey might be worth taking a chance on as our #3. He hardly played at all in new england over 4 seasons and will likely get pushed out of arizona with lienart there.

If McNair is not around, Vince would absolutely dominate over these 4. Volek probably starts just because of the time requirement.

Say what you will about VY's wonderlik and the system he played in, Vince will adapt quicker than you think. The main reason he will adapt is that he'll outwork everybody else (even in the NFL). Vince is all about work. He loves his job (unlike Collins) and he'll study morning, noon and night to get it done. One of Mack Brown's best stories came from this off-season. In college during the offseason, coaches are not allowed to direct players workouts. I think it was actually Memorial Day weekend (late May after finals) when Mack called Vince on a Saturday night about 9 pm. He was expecting to leave a message since most players are out with their friends partying on a Saturday night. But, Vince answered the phone. Not only was he home, he was f'n studying film when Mack called and started asking him questions. That's pretty much what Vince does. He's a football junkie.

Caphorn said:
If McNair is not around, Vince would absolutely dominate over these 4. Volek probably starts just because of the time requirement.

Say what you will about VY's wonderlik and the system he played in, Vince will adapt quicker than you think. The main reason he will adapt is that he'll outwork everybody else (even in the NFL). Vince is all about work. He loves his job (unlike Collins) and he'll study morning, noon and night to get it done. One of Mack Brown's best stories came from this off-season. In college during the offseason, coaches are not allowed to direct players workouts. I think it was actually Memorial Day weekend (late May after finals) when Mack called Vince on a Saturday night about 9 pm. He was expecting to leave a message since most players are out with their friends partying on a Saturday night. But, Vince answered the phone. Not only was he home, he was f'n studying film when Mack called and started asking him questions. That's pretty much what Vince does. He's a football junkie.

so he is the 2nd coming of Manning eh :rolleyes:

i don't want Vince thrown to the wolves
but I dont wanna wait til 2008 to see him in action either
I think we'll see Vince on the field by opening day '07

Let him sit this year while Billy updates his resume
draft Troy Smith next year
and come up with a cheap servicable vet FA

I think this years going to be Volek starting throughout, there's no other available QB I like.

We might see Young take a few snaps towards the end of the season, I'm sure he'll get rapturous applause when or if he takes the field.

A lot of teams have more qbs than they can keep and several will be available by June. Volek wont be the 2nd coming of Manning but niether is Steve at this point in his career. Anyone know anything about Sirmons situation can he be the mlb the 30% of the time we have a mlb on the field.

Ewker said:
what you described was exactly what Manning was/does..a football junkie who studys the game like crazy.

Obviously it would be foolish to compare Vince and Manning at any other level. I'd put more faith in Vince than Manning in the big game is my only point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back