Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
We've all said it on different threads but who do you REALLY want as Titans first pick? (Not if player X is available blah blah blah- just how do you really want the Titans use their first pick)

While I have to admit that I'm probably a little startstruck after watching VY (3 times now on Armed Forces Network, LOL)...I just love the story of him being mentored by McNair. If he comes out, I want him. Throwing motion, speed, blah, blah, blah, blah. He's awesome: a leader, mobile, tough...Imagine him with McNair and Chow (QB coach extraordinaire) for 2-3 years. Wow.

I'd rather have Leinhart. One game doesn't make a guy better all the sudden and Leinhart's been good for three years straight. Trust me, I wouldn't be disappointed with Young, by any means, but I'd rather have Leinhart.

rcarie...

I would disagree with most of your post. Lienart has started every single game as a starting QB, 39. He has been very good for a very long time and it is hard to imagine him failing in the nfl.

I don't get your point about young and one great game. Young has been doing that all year to people. It's that he saved his best game when his team needed it most. I have never seen such poise and leadership from a college player.

I don't really mean it as a knock on Young. It's just that he went from being a 7th to 10th pick to being number one or two in one game. He's a great player no doubt about it. I think Leinhart is a better passer and better decision maker than Young not to mention he's equally as good as Young when under presure. Maybe not the other night but if they played each other say for example five times I think you'd get more consistant clutch play out of Leinhart.

Young came into college very raw. He played only a few games his freshman year, performing decently in those. His sophomore year, he played really well as Texas lost one game. This year, his junior year, they ran the table while he finished second in the heisman balloting. If the heisman was given after the bowl games, he probably would have won it. They don't hand these kind of awards out for one game. He has been good for a long time and has improved dramatically every season.

I've seen players come up 90-130 spots in the draft after the freaking combine. This kind of rise is not at all uncommon. The reason there was such a huge rise is because he played an almost flawless game against a defense that will probably turn out 7 or 8 NFL players. Not to mention he showed great leadership and performed under pressure.

can someone answer this for me. why is matt leinart labled a "winner" because he has lost 2 games in his career, yet vince young isnt because he has lost 3?

it just seems to me that leinart almost benefits from not having a strong arm and being slow because he gets compared to tom brady. while vince young gets compared to someone who cant pass but has just one more loss than leinart.

it seems to me that both guys are "winners" but one has the better tools.

Two Nat'l Championships and a Heisman trophy is probably why they label Leinhart a winner. Young is also a winner but he's a running QB and I'd rather have a guy more like a Manning, Brady, or Palmer and that's what Leinhart is.

I may be way off here.....but I am feeling pretty good about the whole thing. I think Houston will take Bush, then one of 2 things will happen after that....
1) Saints take Leinhardt and we take Young
or
2) Saints take Young and we take Leinhardt
I prefer Young, but I'd take Leinhardt

All of this hangs on IF Young comes out or not.

If Lienart is available take him, if not trade down and take Cutler or someone else.

Who ever takes Young will probably change their system to suit him. I don't feel good about him running like he does. He doesn't take his time and look at other receivers. If it isn't there he takes off running. He will be hurt quite a bit in his career.

IF Young does not come out it'll screw things up, I'm afraid

i dunno, after all this Bush / Leinart / Young wishing, I'd almost feel let down by relegating to Fergy or Hawk

I think I'd just soon trade back and take either LenDale White or Jay Cutler rather then "reach" ,I think the top 3 are worth the money - but the value gets shallow after that

Puck said:
IF Young does not come out it'll screw things up, I'm afraid

i dunno, after all this Bush / Leinart / Young wishing, I'd almost feel let down by relegating to Fergy or Hawk

I think I'd just soon trade back and take either LenDale White or Jay Cutler rather then "reach" ,I think the top 3 are worth the money - but the value gets shallow after that

That's exactly how I feel now. How crazy is that? Crap, we got Ferguson/Hawk.

Leinart would fit into the Titans faster a be able to start faster, because of Chow. But in the long run I dont know that Leinart would be a Francise QB for 10+ years. Young would be a little more of a project than Leinart, but may be more dangerous in the long run. Young could end up being the next Culpepper not McNair. Why not try to trade down like 3 or 4 positions and get Cutler, and maybe they can get another 2nd round pick or at least a 3rd. Then they can get another Roos in the 2nd round somewhere.

Puck said:
IF Young does not come out it'll screw things up, I'm afraid... I also agree, but think Hawk is gonna be a huge longterm differencemaker. A VandenBosch type, leader by his nonstop fiery competitiveness and mad skills. That being said, Young, Leinart and Bush are all longterm "franchise" type players whom you cannot pass on IMO and we are very fortunate that if you're gonna be rebuilding and have a crap year and get the #3 pick, that this is the year we do it. Now if we can continue to develop this young nucleus and get them to stay healthy and play well more consistently I'll be happy. Young is my preferred choice at this time, but I'll admit Leinart was my dream pick up until the other night. I think Young has league altering potential beyond anyone we've seen yet, but the highest risk/reward factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back