Guest viewing is limited

Titans Talk - Home for all things Tennessee Titans

Status
Not open for further replies.

archived

Prospect
LEGEND
Moola
Hindsight's 20/20 and it's possible he still could have made the field goal, but I wondered with 1 timeout and only time on the clock for the other team's final attempt, wouldn't it have been the best move to use our last timeout to ice the kicker?

Or...do you think it wouldn't have enough psychological effect to affect the final outcome?

I'm not an armchair coach, but I just couldn't shake the nagging thought that with a final timeout left in the inventory, that would have been the call I made.

I noticed Cincinatti called a timeout just before the kick so you would have to think if we called ours it would really give the kicker more time to get in his head and potentially cool down from his warm up.

Thoughts? Does it make a difference?

Hindsight's 20/20 and it's possible he still could have made the field goal, but I wondered with 1 timeout and only time on the clock for the other team's final attempt, wouldn't it have been the best move to use our last timeout to ice the kicker?

Or...do you think it wouldn't have enough psychological effect to affect the final outcome?

I'm not an armchair coach, but I just couldn't shake the nagging thought that with a final timeout left in the inventory, that would have been the call I made.

I noticed Cincinatti called a timeout just before the kick so you would have to think if we called ours it would really give the kicker more time to get in his head and potentially cool down from his warm up.

Their kicker has been clutch all season.

He told the team they were winning before the kick.

I don't think a timeout was getting in his head enough for him to miss that kick.

Also, I'd like to see some stats on how many times that's actually "worked".

Their kicker has been clutch all season.

He told the team they were winning before the kick.

I don't think a timeout was getting in his head enough for him to miss that kick.

Also, I'd like to see some state on how many times that's actually "worked".

Yeah, I'd like to see the stats on that too.

Mixpanel’s game theory: Does icing the kicker work? - Mixpanel

Pretty good read on icing the kicker. Basically it breaks down to no, icing the kicker doesn't make much of a difference. Or it didn't in their data.

Something I read somewhere else that was interesting is that calling the timeout BEFORE the kicking team set up was more effective then calling the TO right before the snap.

All in all, I never thought that icing really mattered. I'd like to think that an NFL kicker isn't bothered by waiting 30 more seconds to do his job.

Mixpanel’s game theory: Does icing the kicker work? - Mixpanel

Pretty good read on icing the kicker. Basically it breaks down to no, icing the kicker doesn't make much of a difference. Or it didn't in their data.

Something I read somewhere else that was interesting is that calling the timeout BEFORE the kicking team set up was more effective then calling the TO right before the snap.

All in all, I never thought that icing really mattered. I'd like to think that an NFL kicker isn't bothered by waiting 30 more seconds to do his job.

That is interesting. Thanks for the link. I found this part particularly intriguing:

But, if the distance of the field goal is 34 yards or greater, icing at any point in the game – including critical game-on-the-line situations – does, in fact, make it less likely the kicker will succeed. Not surprisingly, the greater the distance, the higher the odds of a kicker missing:

Titans had to go for 4th down, after that igtarded downing 3rd and 1 abortion call, because Fat Randy cant kick a 50 yarder - or more importantly was not to be trusted to kick a 50 yarder

THAT is on robinson

Titans had to go for 4th down, after that igtarded downing 3rd and 1 abortion call, because Fat Randy cant kick a 50 yarder - or more importantly was not to be trusted to kick a 50 yarder

THAT is on robinson

Because really good big legged kickers are must walking around all over the place?

Titans had to go for 4th down, after that igtarded downing 3rd and 1 abortion call, because Fat Randy cant kick a 50 yarder - or more importantly was not to be trusted to kick a 50 yarder.

THAT is on robinson

If we can’t risk our kicker trying a 50 yarder, we need a new kicker

I rem

I remember that, what a game. Did it not finish like 36 33.

Nope, 2016 game where the Titans beat the Chiefs at Arrowhead 19-17. Succop had missed game winning 53 yard fg, but Reid called a TO just prior to the kick. Succop then made the next one to win the game.

Thing that gets me every year there's x amount of kids coming outta college being a kicker and so many being cut et cetera you would think every team would have a consistent kicker.

These past seasons, I know without a doubt the opposing teams kicker is going to make their field goals against us.

Speaking of timeouts... Haven't seen mention of it here but Bengals coach was trying to call a timeout before the last INT. :(

But yes, we need a kicker that we can at least ATTEMPT from 50+ with some confidence. I don't trust Bullock from anywhere, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back